Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 45

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
airicmac

#441: Post by airicmac »

StevieBuns wrote:I'm having similar issues to a lot of others who have received the Ode. I just can't grind fine enough for V60. I'm looking to upgrade the burrs but Prima Coffee is currently sold out. I did find the 64mm red speed coated burrs on EspressoTool.com. Does anyone have experience with this website? Didn't want to take a chance having never heard of them.

My burr carrier in the Ode has a line indicating it is cast however I'm going to remove the burr and see if it is machined underneath as a lot of others here have found.

Any other reputable place to get the SSP burrs before Prima Coffee restocks?

Thanks all,
Steve
Steve: That website I'm pretty sure owned by SSP. You can actually email the CEO of SSP, Hansung Lee (lhs1859@hotmail.com), to place an order. He was incredibly responsive to me. It's $220 for the 64mm brew burrs (coated) price including Fedex International Priority shipping to the US. You have to pay via paypal. I've seen others here get them within a week of placing the order.
I placed an order late last week. Ordering from Prima would have been $200 for me when taxes were included so I figured an extra $20 was worth it to get it faster and give business directly to SSP.

StevieBuns

#442: Post by StevieBuns » replying to airicmac »

Thanks so much for the info. I'll definitely do that because I'm not sure when Prima is exactly getting them in stock anyway.

Thanks again,
Steve

Matthewj

#443: Post by Matthewj »

I contacted Prima, they said the size 64 costed brew grinders will be replaced with a new SSP grinder in the next few weeks. They said it would be a grinder that could be used for either espresso or brew.

jstn412

#444: Post by jstn412 »

I purchased my 64mm ssp red speed coated burrs from EspressoTool.com and from what I understand they are the maker of all ssp burrs. They are made in Korea and shipped from there. I received in like 3 or 4 days from what I recall. No issues as far as fitting in the ode. Did have some issues getting the auger out though. It didn't just effortlessly pop and slide out like in fellows instruction video on YouTube

JacquesCousteaudian

#445: Post by JacquesCousteaudian »

Matthewj wrote:I contacted Prima, they said the size 64 costed brew grinders will be replaced with a new SSP grinder in the next few weeks. They said it would be a grinder that could be used for either espresso or brew.
Just to follow up on this, I too got a message back in October from Prima where they said..
"...To further complicate the testing process Option-O notified us last week that they worked with SSP on a modification to the Brew burrs (Unimodal in Option-O terms) to allow a closer fit on the brew burrs granting some additional fine grinding range for espresso. SSP has said that this should not affect grind quality in the brew range with this adjustment, and we expect that to be the case with the adjustment they made, but we're waiting to get the newly modified brew burrs in to test that as well. In all likelihood, we will transition over to only carrying this modified brew burr from SSP instead of carrying both the current SSP brew burr plus the modified version."

So it seems like there is a new SSP Brew burr set coming out. However, it sounds like it shouldn't make a difference for us Ode+SSP users, since the restricted motor power/stepped grind of the Ode make the very fine end of espresso kinda irrelevant territory.. at least that would be my guess.

One last thing, Fellow just released a new Kickstarter backer update. Can anyone say whether there's some interesting info besides shipping, like whether they are working on specific refinements etc.?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#446: Post by JohnB. »

The latest update is all about shipping to non U.S. backers being underway.
LMWDP 267

Stavey

#447: Post by Stavey »

I haven't been back to this thread since I sent my Ode back. The Ode is like the Glock of the gun world. It's cheaply made and not really good at any one thing . Yet people love them. (MUST BE THE 64mm BURRS ) If you are happy with the Ode then that is all that matters . However fact is the factory burrs of the Ode produce lots of oversized boulders. This is just one of its known issues but this alone is a deal breaker for me.
As far as my encore, I would bet if you ran them both through a kruve sifter, the encore would destroy the Ode. I don't care about how the Ode looks or what size the burrs are . I care what it produces. I couldn't justify another $200 into a grinder that appears and feels cheaply made. Now if it were my Niche then maybe new $200 burrs would be acceptable. However in the Ode no way.
As far as a vario , once aligned the Vario is lightyears ahead of the Ode irregardless of burr size. There's a reason the vario has an almost cult following, and it isn't a large set of inefficient burrs like the Ode . It's due to producing a quality uniform grind.

hnns

#448: Post by hnns »

Hmm, I'd personally argue the other way around. I wouldn't want to buy $200 burrs for a Niche, at that price point I expect burrs that don't need to be replaced. But I'm probably the exception in that regard, considering how many people put SSP burrs in their very high-end grinders :)

roxtc

#449: Post by roxtc »

Stavey wrote:I haven't been back to this thread since I sent my Ode back. The Ode is like the Glock of the gun world. It's cheaply made and not really good at any one thing . Yet people love them. (MUST BE THE 64mm BURRS ) If you are happy with the Ode then that is all that matters . However fact is the factory burrs of the Ode produce lots of oversized boulders. This is just one of its known issues but this alone is a deal breaker for me.
As far as my encore, I would bet if you ran them both through a kruve sifter, the encore would destroy the Ode. I don't care about how the Ode looks or what size the burrs are . I care what it produces. I couldn't justify another $200 into a grinder that appears and feels cheaply made. Now if it were my Niche then maybe new $200 burrs would be acceptable. However in the Ode no way.
As far as a vario , once aligned the Vario is lightyears ahead of the Ode irregardless of burr size. There's a reason the vario has an almost cult following, and it isn't a large set of inefficient burrs like the Ode . It's due to producing a quality uniform grind.
I think you got a bad unit but I think you're taking it way too personal. It's like if you met the first (insert ethnicity) guy and he turned out to be a jerk, you now think all people of that ethnicity are scum of the earth. Do you know how many Baratza's break? They literally have a steady stream of refurbs to sell, that's how many. There's no need to justify your decision, it's yours and yours alone to make. Saying YOUR Encore is better than YOUR Ode may be true but saying all Encores are better than all Odes is just unfounded and illogical and you'll be hard pressed to find many who share it. Go get a Vario it's a good grinder, with its own little issues and maybe your Encore will be better than that one too. I'll see you over in those threads.

As for my new discoveries, I got a set of SSP burrs to fit in mine as well as my buddy's (he ran over here to check as soon as he heard I got mine). If you order directly from SSP you'll get them within a week. I ordered on a Friday and got them the next Friday. I have the Silver Knight coating as well so they're not uncoated and they not only fit, there's a bit of play too so it's not even like it's the most exact fit in the world. Both our burr carriers seem to be the same, cast and then machined in areas. a 63mm SSP burr may be too loose for some. After I make a review video and comparison with the Vario, the Vario is probably going into storage or being lent to a good friend.

Initial impressions, I first thought (as did my buddy) that the Ode is louder with SSP burrs. Using the same phone and sound meter app as I did in my initial review video, it turns out they're the same decibels but the SSP burrs produce a higher frequency. I'm not sure why, as this is the case even without grinding. My guess is that the geometry of the burrs is moving the air differently therefore producing a different frequency, kind of like a whistle. I'm no physicist though so I could be way off.

The grind quality definitely seems to have improved but I don't think it will be night and day. Rather a good marginal improvement with the ability to grind much finer. I have run 3kg of seasoning beans provided by a roaster so far. The cup seems to be more complex with better mouthfeel. The original Ode burrs had a lot of clarity, like coffee with fines sifted, but felt a bit hollow at times.

heytchap

#450: Post by heytchap »

Stavey wrote:I haven't been back to this thread since I sent my Ode back. The Ode is like the Glock of the gun world. It's cheaply made and not really good at any one thing . Yet people love them. (MUST BE THE 64mm BURRS ) If you are happy with the Ode then that is all that matters . However fact is the factory burrs of the Ode produce lots of oversized boulders. This is just one of its known issues but this alone is a deal breaker for me.
It's clear that you dont like the grinder and that you have an axe to.. grind. What keeps bringing you back here to keep dumping on everyone else's parade? We get it. You dont like the grinder. Move on with your life.