Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 44

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
powerandylin

#431: Post by powerandylin »

JacquesCousteaudian wrote:I wonder if that means (a) that they're partnering with SSP to develop 63mm burrs that fit into the current Ode, or (b) that they will make sure that new Odes produced will be capable of swapping for SSP's existing 64mm burrs. Do you understand it as either of those?
I think "A" is a smarter choice for business and what Fellow team are doing.
As a current model user, "B" option would make me unhappy :roll:

graphidz

#432: Post by graphidz »

JacquesCousteaudian wrote:I wonder if that means (a) that they're partnering with SSP to develop 63mm burrs that fit into the current Ode, or (b) that they will make sure that new Odes produced will be capable of swapping for SSP's existing 64mm burrs. Do you understand it as either of those?
I think they are going for A route. Kind of wish it's a workaround for current version and B for newer versions so that the normal 63mm SSP burrs will work interchangeably with other grinders in case someone already has it on hand.

jdrobison

#433: Post by jdrobison »

Addyct wrote:So, perhaps I missed this somewhere in the last 43 pages, but considering that the Ode+SSP seems to be a very good grinder, what would the competition for that setup be at ~$500?
The first one that comes to mind is Baratza Vario

iBrew

#434: Post by iBrew »

yakster wrote:I'm reading the tale of two grinders here, both of them being the Ode. It's still early days, time will tell but I wonder about the consistency of the grinder, some people seem to be receiving a grinder that performs well for pour-over at its price range and some are receiving a grinder with boulder issues that doesn't perform well for pour-over.

I'm enjoying reading the fact based objective posts that are comparing grinder experiences, less so the fanboy and basher posts that don't use objective measures, these posts do little for this thread.

I don't really understand the expectation to buy a grinder in this class to add SSP burrs and come up with Titan quality pour-over grinds. SSP burrs may fit and may improve the performance of this grinder, time will tell if this upgrade is worth it. I think some people who already have much better grinders are trying this out of curiosity, but others may be buying this as an upgrade path which hasn't really proven itself yet.
How powerful does the motor really need to be? I mean the Encore has been around for many years and it's motor has preformed just fine. When it comes down to the grind quality wouldn't the alignment and the burrs be the major factor? It's an all metal construction with a metal burr chamber, so it's not poorly built. I don't see why a burr set like the SSP can't push this grinder to the next level. The motor probably makes more of a difference if you're grinding for espresso but for brewed coffee I'm not sure you need that powerful of a motor. I found the OE Apex was on the same level as an EK43 for brewed coffee and that doesn't have a motor :mrgreen:

iBrew

#435: Post by iBrew »

I wished they copied the OE Apex ghost burrs and made this an electric version of that, it would've been a home run! 78/75mm ghost burr grinder would've been amazing! Now that would be the ultimate home brew grinder.

Yan

#436: Post by Yan » replying to iBrew »

+1.. :) it will be the 8th Wonders ...for Home barista..

violin_geek123

#437: Post by violin_geek123 »

powerandylin wrote:Asked Fellow about SSP burrs for Ode yesterday, and here's their reply:

"We are currently figuring out a new burr system for the new versions of the ODE, as well as replacements for current ODE's. Existing SSP burrs are not compatible for current ODE's yet (literally 1mm to big). We should be coming out with an update very soon about modified SSP burrs to work with ODE very soon!"
But this is literally wrong. The 64mm SSP burrs do indeed fit in "current ODE's", if the machining of the carrier is correct.

Here's a more correct statement: "Existing SSP burrs are not compatible for SOME current ODE's, due to a flaw in the tolerances of our manufactured burr carriers. We are going to be working to provide upgrade burrs to those who need them, and will be improving the design of our grinders so that they can accept all 64mm burrs. We apologize for prematurely affirming SSP burr compatibility in our "How to Replace Your ODE Burrs" video as well as our user manual and will fix those immediately."

I love Fellow and will support them and continue to buy their products. But I'm beginning to suspect that there is an inability and refusal to accept that they've messed up on many aspects of this grinder and as a result they are giving completely mismatching data and responses to people. Their instructional video LITERALLY states that SSP burrs are compatible. Their Kickstarter comments stated the same thing. Now they are casually mentioning the opposite to the many users who reach out to them, as if it was always the case.....and this problem arose mainly because of a blatant misunderstanding of the grind size people would use as home brewers.
Brian Hong

iBrew

#438: Post by iBrew »

At least Fellow is making changes based on customer feedback, many companies would ignore it and keep it as is. I like what Fellow is doing as it will put a lot of pressure on Baratza, who for the most part just sits on its older designs. I have an Encore with the upgraded burrs and I find it to be a tough grinder to beat as it gets soooo close to the Vario with brew burrs that I returned the Vario because I couldn't justify the cost difference for the same taste just slightly cleaner, so slight I could only tell the difference when I had the 2 cups side by side.

airicmac

#439: Post by airicmac »

violin_geek123 wrote:But this is literally wrong. The 64mm SSP burrs do indeed fit in "current ODE's", if the machining of the carrier is correct.
I ordered 64 mm red speed brew burrs directly from SSP on Thursday mentioning I would specifically be using them for the Ode while asking for their recommended coating. If Fellow were truly working with SSP on better Ode compatible burrs, I feel like SSP would have disclosed that. This is obviously assuming the best of SSP, but my interactions with them so far have been incredibly pleasant. To be fair, Fellow also have been incredibly gracious from a CS standpoint for issues I've had with other products, even those way past their warranty period.

StevieBuns

#440: Post by StevieBuns »

I'm having similar issues to a lot of others who have received the Ode. I just can't grind fine enough for V60. I'm looking to upgrade the burrs but Prima Coffee is currently sold out. I did find the 64mm red speed coated burrs on EspressoTool.com. Does anyone have experience with this website? Didn't want to take a chance having never heard of them.

My burr carrier in the Ode has a line indicating it is cast however I'm going to remove the burr and see if it is machined underneath as a lot of others here have found.

Any other reputable place to get the SSP burrs before Prima Coffee restocks?

Thanks all,
Steve