Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 41

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jdrobison

#401: Post by jdrobison »

hnns wrote:Where do you get this info? Very interested to follow any developments.
I'm a European Kickstarter backer so haven't even received my unit yet, but by seeing the reactions and reviews all my hype is completely gone and replaced by disappointment. I was ready to let go of my steel burr Vario but now, not so much.. I'm hoping your last sentence comes true, that would be great! But I'm worried it might take a long time as they're still very much in the middle of launching the original units.
I tried the Ode for a couple of weeks and eventually went back to my (hyper-aligned, chute flap removed) steel burr Vario after being pretty disappointed with the excessive large particles produced by the Ode. Hold onto that Vario for a while!

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#402: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

hnns wrote:Where do you get this info? Very interested to follow any developments.
I'm a European Kickstarter backer so haven't even received my unit yet, but by seeing the reactions and reviews all my hype is completely gone and replaced by disappointment. I was ready to let go of my steel burr Vario but now, not so much.. I'm hoping your last sentence comes true, that would be great! But I'm worried it might take a long time as they're still very much in the middle of launching the original units.
The 90%/33% was thrown out there as what should be their aspirational objective. Burrset design/engineering/production is a pretty mature in terms of materials and manufacturing, and with 64mm flat burrset geometry pretty standardized, it should not be difficult bringing product to market -- so long as it can be done economically, and with a reliable supply channel.

Might not take too long if they already know what they want to do and have been planning accordingly. If they identified, say, three improvements several weeks ago that should be straightforward to implement, It all depends on how much retooling is required, where that's at in terms of the product delivery cycle, and how much iteration the manufacturing process has been designed to enable.

The good news is that it seems pretty clear that Fellow wants its customers to be happy and loyal, and will go to some lengths to ensure that, even if it involves admitting and correcting mistakes. Wish more companies embraced those corporate values.
- John

LMWDP # 577

hnns

#403: Post by hnns »

Balthazar_B wrote:The good news is that it seems pretty clear that Fellow wants its customers to be happy and loyal, and will go to some lengths to ensure that, even if it involves admitting and correcting mistakes. Wish more companies embraced those corporate values.
That's true, definitely worth mentioning!
It's so weird to me how they developed this grinder, looked for the right burrs, and no one thought that the usable grind range is way too small. It seems that everyone using the grinder immediately notices this, so I can't imagine they didn't. Which makes it seem like a conscious choice, which is just as weird. Kind of a gamble and hope for the best.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#404: Post by JohnB. »

I'm sure that the grind range of the stock burrs isn't an issue for many Ode owners. My daughter mainly uses a press pot or drip brewer. She's quite happy with her Ode.

Not everyone buying the Ode expected an EK for $300 or planned on immediately replacing the stock burrs.
LMWDP 267

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#405: Post by baristainzmking replying to JohnB. »

+1

My son is using this grinder for pour over and chemex and he is really happy with it.
Julia

Stavey
Supporter ♡

#406: Post by Stavey »

While the Ode might make a decent starter grinder . There now cheaper options that can perform to the same level or
better. I believe it's due to the Odes stock burrs but honestly the grinder isn't worth dumping more money into. In my experience my coffee mostly natural processed lighter roasted Ethiopian etc.. Tasted better with more clarity from my Baratza encore. Maybe that's why those cheap encores are so popular. Hope this helps save someone some money .

roxtc

#407: Post by roxtc »

Stavey, all due respect, I pretty much have a different opinion than yours entirely. It could be due to your coffee, it could be you just like conical burrs better, as they tend to bring out more acidity. Please list the mentioned cheaper and better/comparable grinder that's better than the Ode. I'll even let you include hand grinders but that's technically a different category.

I think the Encore has set the bar for a good affordable grinder. I'm fond of it and I owned one and if that was all I had I'd be happy. I can't say anything bad about Baratza ever but the stock Ode is objectively better than a Baratza Encore, they shouldn't be in the same sentence really and I'm just talking about quality of grinds, not speed, noise, build quality, looks, convenience features which all go to the Ode. The Encore has way more fines and way less clarity and consistency.

Coffee is a subjective topic but I know lots of people who are very happy with the Ode who have upgraded from an Encore specifically (at least 3). I also know people who bought the Ode as a second grinder and possess revered grinders such as a Comandante, Niche, Baratza Vario with Steel Brew Burrs. It's safe to say these grinders conservatively represent the 90th percentile of grinders out there and these owners have a hard time picking a winner between the Ode and those grinders. I myself have a Vario and would be happy with either one, it's splitting hairs to me.

I think the stock Ode represents a very good grinder on its own, well worth the $300 (or even a bit more in my opinion). I don't consider it a starter grinder although if you want to choose that as your first grinder it's probably a great way to get into coffee and be pretty future proofed.
The SSP equipped Ode from everything I've heard (will be in mine soon as well to confirm), has no competition at the price point. The Vario is about $100 more and I expect they will have similar or marginally different grind quality.

I'm sure some will disagree with my opinion as I'm disagreeing with yours. It's part of the fun of coffee, hope you know it's not personal and we all have our own truths, this is just my version. :)

ira
Team HB

#408: Post by ira »

I agree with roxtx and mine sits next to an Apex, Mono flat and a Bunzilla. It's certainly not perfect, but it gets so much right, including actually looking like something your wife is willing to have in the kitchen. It needs RDT or it has a lot of retention, but so far it's completely lived up to my expectations. While the Encore or Forte might be as good or better, I don't want one on my counter. and while the my other three might ultimately be better for those looking for the very last few percent, I find essentially nothing to fault in the Ode.

This would be a grinder I would feel completely comfortable recommending to most of the coffee drinkers I know. It is a perfect step up from pre-ground and whirly blades and that it a way bigger than our .1% of the market for coffee grinders. And I trust that Fellow will make improvements over time with the burrs. It's their first grinder, I expect them to get better. Heck, they could have custom ghost tooth burrs made that would just drop in.

Ira

hank-scorpio

#409: Post by hank-scorpio »

Coming from a Virtuoso I have used for years, I completely agree with the above 2 comments. The stock Ode, though it may not have the grind range the Baratza did, has been way more consistent and has far fewer fines than the Virtuoso. I has having huge issues with muddy beds and clogging even at mid/coarser settings before that have completely disappeared.

Stavey
Supporter ♡

#410: Post by Stavey »

The Ode is quiet and fast . As far as size it's short but that is irrelevant as most grinders fit under the cabinets. However it sticks out further on the counter than my encore did. So to me that's not a win for the Ode. The ode forced me to use wdt something I never had to do with the encore . I'm not a grinds guru but from what is available on the internet the Ode has documented issues of large particles causing fast drawdowns. If you own any other quality grinder than you already know that the Ode feels like a pop can. Not the quality of machine I would want to dump another $200 into Now you have over $500 in a chintzy fellow grinder with ssp burrs ? That has already shown issues and they've barely hit the market . In my opinion an Ode with ssp burrs . Is like a Pinto with a blower. Not worth the effort. Either way it's fun to compare opinions .