Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 26

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffea

#251: Post by coffea »

Yes for the steel brew burrs for the Vario. No for the alignment; the Vario grind using non scientific examination with unaided sight appears to produce very uniform appearing grind sizes when set to 10/W. My assessment for fine production is based purely on draw down times for pour overs.

roxtc

#252: Post by roxtc »

I made a short video review on this grinder and I hope it's okay I post it here. Before I received my grinder, I was scouring the internet to get some more information, even watching videos in languages I don't understand. I know some of you are cursed like I am so I thought you may enjoy it if you're waiting for your grinder to arrive or you're researching.

I'm not affiliated to any company, I don't care if you like or subscribe to my channel. I've never done this before so I'm not sure if I've violated any rules somehow and if I did I'll happily take it down.
★ Helpful

JackHK

#253: Post by JackHK »

roxtc wrote:I made a short video review on this grinder and I hope it's okay I post it here. Before I received my grinder, I was scouring the internet to get some more information, even watching videos in languages I don't understand. I know some of you are cursed like I am so I thought you may enjoy it if you're waiting for your grinder to arrive or you're researching.

I'm not affiliated to any company, I don't care if you like or subscribe to my channel. I've never done this before so I'm not sure if I've violated any rules somehow and if I did I'll happily take it down.
Great review :D it's appreciated

It's great to see and hear your hands on experience, thank you 8)

Baristaboys

#254: Post by Baristaboys »

roxtc wrote:I made a short video review on this grinder and I hope it's okay I post it here.

video
Really awesome video there mate. Your voice or tone of voice is sleep inducing though :D

jdrobison

#255: Post by jdrobison »

roxtc wrote:I made a short video review on this grinder and I hope it's okay I post it here. Before I received my grinder, I was scouring the internet to get some more information, even watching videos in languages I don't understand. I know some of you are cursed like I am so I thought you may enjoy it if you're waiting for your grinder to arrive or you're researching.

video
Thanks for making the video. Well done. It appears to confirm the many reports from V60 users who can't seem to get the Ode grind fine enough to induce more than 2 or so minutes of contact time.

zombiecoffee

#256: Post by zombiecoffee »

I already took mine apart and shimmed up the grind knob. It was rattling a bit, and could not stand.
Also, lined the cup bottom so it glides in and out under the chute.
So far so good.
Anyone can turn green beans brown...

pwginn

#257: Post by pwginn »

I got mine this week and can echo some of the impressions:
Even at the smallest setting and after calibrating the "1" setting to be at burr chirp, the grinder still doesn't grind as fine as you would expect. However, since I haven't run enough coffee through it to "season the burrs," I am not going to pass judgement just yet on that aspect.
The grinds are almost shockingly uniform in size, with almost no fines.
It grinds beans so incredibly fast that I frequently find myself looking in the hopper for missing whole beans that didn't make it through yet.
The hopper sometimes will leave stragglers behind, so if you aren't getting grams-in to grams-out, check the hopper. RDT is always what I do so I didn't even bother trying without it. I always do RDT since I single dose with a Kinu and the Encore. In fact, I don't see how anybody gets through without doing it every day every time. Y'all are weird.
The Ode is so simple in design when it comes to feeding beans, grinding them, and then dumping them out. You can take the front off very easily and then the auger and spring. You have full access to the whole bean path with no trouble.
I haven't checked the alignment with a marker yet.

STG

#258: Post by STG »

vanilla_squash wrote:Any of you coming from the vario w/brew burrs, have you performed the super alignment process?
Yes I did.

Volty

#259: Post by Volty »

I received my Ode yesterday. So far, my experience has been great compared to my Encore with stock burrs. Grind retention is definitely a problem, but when I use RDT, it becomes irrelevant and I get exactly what I put in out. My unit has no electrical humming noise, and my drawdown speeds have been pretty much as expected if not a little shorter (but I still have room to grind finer). The auto off function doesn't always work with smaller doses, but that doesn't really bother me. I'm not a big fan of the catch bin. The fins are annoying, although they don't cause any issues for me. My biggest gripe is the catch bin lid. There's usually leftover grounds sitting on top of it, and the texture feels sticky to me. I'll try using it without the lid and see if it's even necessary to avoid mess.

With that said, the resulting coffee is notably better than the Encore, and it grinds much faster and sounds much quieter. I'm really glad I didn't run into the QC issues others have experienced. I may try out SSP burrs in future if they prove to produce much better coffee than the seasoned stock burrs.

violin_geek123

#260: Post by violin_geek123 »

FYI everyone, Fellow customer support got back to me and they said that the SSP Brew Burrs do NOT fit in the Ode, as they are about 1mm too big.
Brian Hong