Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Team HB

#21: Post by ira »

Mostly you've seen nothing on the grinder except by people interested in selling it. Since the only thing that matters in the end is how it does in the cup, as far as I can tell, all you can judge at this time is how it looks. When they get in people hands who have good brew grinder to compare it with, we'll start to have an idea of how it is as a grinder, till then it's just idle banter.

Ira

bosiemoncrieff

#22: Post by bosiemoncrieff »

I wonder how it stacks up against the EK.

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#23: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to bosiemoncrieff »

We'll know pretty soon. Should be less than a month until comparative assessments begin appearing.

One thing we can probably all agree on right now: As opposed to the EK, the Ode is unlikely to foment divorces.
- John

LMWDP # 577

yakster
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by yakster »

It's going to be a while until we can hear some good long-term reviews of the performance of this grinder. These are what I like to read, early reviews can be too influenced by anticipation and expectations.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#25: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to yakster »

I agree, Chris. Unless their motor is a well-known, seasoned product, that's the one component I'd be most concerned about for long-term reliability. While Fellow has a sterling reputation in the coffee products world -- not only for its products but also its superb customer focus -- the Ode is more ambitious than anything else they've released, and I hope they totally nail it, since it's so innovative, and pretty much unique in its market segment.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Jeff
Team HB

#26: Post by Jeff »

Is it really that unique with the Wilfa Uniform out there in much of the world? What am I missing in my understanding of the Ode?

From what I understand, without the scale, the Wilfa is a comparable price (265€ ~ US$315 today, price source)

violin_geek123

#27: Post by violin_geek123 »

Yes but the Wilfa is just not a feasible option for many US consumers.
Brian Hong

#28: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Is it really that unique with the Wilfa Uniform out there in much of the world? What am I missing in my understanding of the Ode?

From what I understand, without the scale, the Wilfa is a comparable price (265€ ~ US$315 today, price source)
Hey, Jeff, yes, I confess to viewing this in a US-centric way. Mea culpa. Would imagine there are any number of Asian grinders that could be considered in the same price and target market segment class, but unavailable in the US (and maybe Europe) as well.

Suppose it's fair to say that availability of the Ode in Europe will be as constrained as availablity of the Wilfa in the US.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Jeff
Team HB

#29: Post by Jeff »

Thanks, appreciate the answers. Prior to them, I couldn't put together an "elevator pitch" in my head as to why the Ode.

Jonk

#30: Post by Jonk »

If Baratza(Mahlkönig) Vario was equally affordable in Europe the market for Wilfa Uniform would probably be a lot less as well. Lots of nice features on the Uniform so I really wanted to like it but the grind still isn't up to par in my experience. (Good, but not great)

Here's hoping the Ode can do better!