Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 153

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nameisjoey

#1521: Post by nameisjoey »

Jsfran wrote:I'm a New 0de Gen 2 owner. Do I need to turn the grinder on to make a finer grind setting (no beans in hopper). Thanks
I don't think so. That's usually only for hopper based grinders, when beans are still inside the burrs.

Jonk

#1522: Post by Jonk »

Is it strictly necessary? Most of the time, no. But there can still be fragments left in the grinder, so it's not a bad idea to turn the grinder on for large adjustments. No waste in doing so anyway without beans in the hopper.

fellowproducts
Sponsor

#1523: Post by fellowproducts »

Jsfran wrote:I'm a New 0de Gen 2 owner. Do I need to turn the grinder on to make a finer grind setting (no beans in hopper). Thanks
Please always adjust the grind finer with the motor on.
Nick

RedBarchetta

#1524: Post by RedBarchetta »

Just got the new Ode 2 in white to match our new cabinets. I am astounded at how much cleaner this one is than the original with SSP burrs. Now I just need to figure out what the right setting is for a Ratio Eight. Well done Fellow!

fhyrew

#1525: Post by fhyrew »

Hi, all. I'm a new Ode Gen 2 owner with the Gen 2 burrs (no SSP) and also new to these boards. Every day I brew a 750 ml Chemex pourover for myself and my wife in the morning, and a smaller (usually 400-500 ml) second and sometimes third coffee for myself later, also on the Chemex. I mainly use single-origin light roasts (by American standards, e.g., Counter Culture, Tandem, etc.) with coffee-to-water ratios in 1:15-1:17 range.

At first I was having a lot of difficulty making the transition from my tried-and-true Bartaza Encore to the Ode, but after opening it up and calibrating it (I think it was a bit off out of the box) I'm getting a better handle on things. Still, wanted to get people's thoughts on the following questions:

(1) If you use Chemex, what grind range are you using on the Ode?

(2) How much do you adjust your grind size for batch size or coffee origin/density? I never really adjusted much for either on my Encore, but I'm finding much wider variations in the grind sizes that work best for lower-altitude/American beans vs. higher-altitude/African beans on the Ode.

(3) How long did it take to "break in" your Ode? I went ahead and ordered 6 pounds of an "odds and ends" roast that my local roaster, Small Planes, sells at a reduced price to run some through for seasoning/breaking in purposes. Did anyone else do something similar and do you think it was worth it?

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any other general/tips experiences from folks who have been in similar situations.

skittles_s

#1526: Post by skittles_s »

I brew roughly the same Chemex size in the morning for my wife and I. I also buy Tandem regularly. With Gen 2 burrs, I'm usually between 7.67 and 8.67 for this. I find the Chemex works in a narrower range than a 210-250g V60 brew. I'm everywhere between 3.3 and 5.3 on that depending on the coffee.

When I installed the Gen 2 burrs on my Gen 1.1 Ode, the results were noticeably better almost immediately. Break in (if any) has been subtle and gradual.

Hope that helps.

fhyrew

#1527: Post by fhyrew »

Thanks, that is helpful! Are you calibrated one click right of the chirp? And what kind of drawdown times do you usually get?

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#1528: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

fhyrew wrote:Hi, all. I'm a new Ode Gen 2 owner with the Gen 2 burrs (no SSP) and also new to these boards. Every day I brew a 750 ml Chemex pourover for myself and my wife in the morning, and a smaller (usually 400-500 ml) second and sometimes third coffee for myself later, also on the Chemex. I mainly use single-origin light roasts (by American standards, e.g., Counter Culture, Tandem, etc.) with coffee-to-water ratios in 1:15-1:17 range.

At first I was having a lot of difficulty making the transition from my tried-and-true Bartaza Encore to the Ode, but after opening it up and calibrating it (I think it was a bit off out of the box) I'm getting a better handle on things. Still, wanted to get people's thoughts on the following questions:

(1) If you use Chemex, what grind range are you using on the Ode?

(2) How much do you adjust your grind size for batch size or coffee origin/density? I never really adjusted much for either on my Encore, but I'm finding much wider variations in the grind sizes that work best for lower-altitude/American beans vs. higher-altitude/African beans on the Ode.

(3) How long did it take to "break in" your Ode? I went ahead and ordered 6 pounds of an "odds and ends" roast that my local roaster, Small Planes, sells at a reduced price to run some through for seasoning/breaking in purposes. Did anyone else do something similar and do you think it was worth it?

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any other general/tips experiences from folks who have been in similar situations.
Andrew, you may also want to post your questions in the Fellow topic in the Marketplace forum. Nick mostly hangs out there, since he works for Fellow, but he can be extremely helpful with suggestions and perspective on what works best with his baby, the Ode, and her little Gen 2 teeth, which he designed.
- John

LMWDP # 577

fhyrew

#1529: Post by fhyrew replying to Balthazar_B »

Thanks, that's good to know.

skittles_s

#1530: Post by skittles_s »

I believe I'm calibrated at 1 click past Chris, though I may have felt cheeky and put it at 1.3 or 1.67 for funsies. Either way, close to 1.