Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 152

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#1511: Post by Jonk »

Acavia wrote:I would rather calibrate the Ode for coarser range
Chances are that you won't run out of settings even if you calibrate the burrs just off touch. At least my Ode starts to act up a bit if I try to grind at the coarsest settings and the SSP burrs don't do very well in that range anyway in my opinion.

Acavia

#1512: Post by Acavia »

iBrew wrote: I'm sure you'll like it but it'll get even better once you get about 25ish lbs of coffee through it. Update us on how it compares to the Ditting you have.
It would take me a year or more even if I only used it for 25 pounds (~23 to 24g a day.) Ill probably do 2 pounds through it to start. I would not want to do the full capacity of hopper. How much is a safe amount to run through it every 5 minutes? Would it be safe to do two pounds in a setting, do X grams every 5 minutes? Or does it need more rest?

iBrew

#1513: Post by iBrew »

Acavia wrote:It would take me a year or more even if I only used it for 25 pounds (~23 to 24g a day.) Ill probably do 2 pounds through it to start. I would not want to do the full capacity of hopper. How much is a safe amount to run through it every 5 minutes? Would it be safe to do two pounds in a setting, do X grams every 5 minutes? Or does it need more rest?
I'm not sure, the hopper in the Gen 2 holds a 100 grams so I would say do each run with a full hopper and then give it a break. The MPs are still great well breaking them in.

Acavia

#1514: Post by Acavia replying to iBrew »

Edit: I canceled the light roast coffee ordered, and got some Kroger branded medium-dark coffee, after reading that it is recommended to season SSP with dark roast to coat them with oil as the coating has already cleaned metal imperfections on the burrs, so not much seasoning is recommended.

I got ~4 pounds. Ill do 80grams every 10 to 15 minutes unless someone confirms that is too much.

iBrew

#1515: Post by iBrew »

Acavia wrote:I ordered 4 pounds of Fresh Roasted Coffee light roast blend. Ill do ~80 grams every 20 minutes (unless someone thinks that would be too stressful on an Ode) That would take shy of 2 hours per pound. I'll aim to do it over first one to two days. If anyone thinks 80 grams every 20 minutes is too much, please reply.
I'm sure it'll be fine, make sure you register it with Fellow and you get 3 years warranty. If that's too much of a load on the motor, I'm sure Nick with Fellow will chime in.

heytchap

#1516: Post by heytchap »

Acavia wrote:I ordered 4 pounds of Fresh Roasted Coffee light roast blend. Ill do ~80 grams every 20 minutes (unless someone thinks that would be too stressful on an Ode) That would take shy of 2 hours per pound. I'll aim to do it over first one to two days. If anyone thinks 80 grams every 20 minutes is too much, please reply.
Check and see if you have a local roast or just a coffee shop, they may have bad roasts, old beans, etc that they give you for free.

Acavia

#1517: Post by Acavia replying to heytchap »

A local café gave me ~1 pound, and I bought four 11 ounces medium-dark Kroger branded whole beans.

jfjj

#1518: Post by jfjj »

You'll be fine. I believe is better to do coarser first than go fine. I'm a micro roaster so ended up roasting some el cheapo to season them. I'm sure you get some bad batch coffee from your local roaster for seasoning
- Jean

Acavia

#1519: Post by Acavia »

I just got the Ode 2 with SSP MP burrs.

Initial concerns:

1) The burrs were backwards. The rotating burr was installed to the inner carrier, and the one marked Fixed was on the auger carrier.

2) The torque on the screws was pretty low. I used a torque screwdriver set at 0 and then 1 inch-lb, then 2 etc. to see how much torque it took to loosen the factor installed screws. The inner burrs took 7 inch-lb on one screw and 6 inch-lbs on the other two. The auger burrs screws took 4 inch-lbs on all three to loosen them. Perhaps that is correct, so I will stick with 6 on all of them when I reattach them. Also, if those low torque numbers are correct, then people removing burrs and reattaching without torque screw drivers are likely overtightening the screws a lot.

Edit: I decided to try to return it.

Jsfran

#1520: Post by Jsfran »

I'm a New 0de Gen 2 owner. Do I need to turn the grinder on to make a finer grind setting (no beans in hopper). Thanks