Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 146

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
radioradio

#1451: Post by radioradio »

Johnny O wrote:For those who don't find the Ode to be a messy grinder, can you share more about the type of bean roast levels you are using?
I've been grinding light to medium roast beans. Nothing dark. I've only had the grinder for a couple of weeks so I've only put three different types of beans through it. It certainly is possible that I've been lucky and may find that other beans are much messier.

Two of the beans are from my local roaster, Ceremony Roasters in Annapolis MD. One is their decaf blend and the other is a Kenya Karatu single origin.
The third is from Trade. PERU SAN FERNANDO from Wonderstate roasters.

weinerd

#1452: Post by weinerd »

FWIW I've had my ode for a year now...
immediately modded with Mazzer Mini burrs and adjusted to grind espresso 99% of the time.
I've done starbucks blonde (which is really a medium), lavazza rosa and super crema, SFBay rainforest med/dark, peets french dark, peerless breakfast, etc.
I do about 40-60 g 3-4 times a week on average, fine enough to accidentally choke my Silvia (18 g in, 50 secs for 36 g out). Stepless mod, big bellows lid mod.
Never have I ever stalled the ode or caused it to shake or struggle doing espresso grinds, it's worked like a champ for me so far. I enjoy the results I'm getting using the Mazzer burrs.

ohwhen

#1453: Post by ohwhen »

I have a couple questions for other Ode owners.

1. How often do y'all clean your burrs? I noticed some off flavors in my cup last week so took it apart to clean (I haven't been as good at cleaning as I was with my Baratza Virtuoso, grabbing a screwdriver seems to be a larger impediment than I would have guessed). There was a fair bit of buildup of fines and my cups tasted better after brushing everything out.

2. I hyper aligned my SSP burrs with the marker method after running 5lbs of cheap coffee through it. I have it them set to chirp at 1. I double checked the chirp after cleaning and putting it back together and I can hear that the burrs aren't aligned anymore (motor starts and I hear a whir, quick chirp, whir, and then a more consistent chirping). Is it necessary to periodically align again? I wasn't expecting to have to do it again (and am dreading the prospect of it, to be honest).

Thanks!

Acavia

#1454: Post by Acavia »

ohwhen wrote:I have a couple questions for other Ode owners.

2. I hyper aligned my SSP burrs with the marker method after running 5lbs of cheap coffee through it. I have it them set to chirp at 1. I double checked the chirp after cleaning and putting it back together and I can hear that the burrs aren't aligned anymore (motor starts and I hear a whir, quick chirp, whir, and then a more consistent chirping). Is it necessary to periodically align again? I wasn't expecting to have to do it again (and am dreading the prospect of it, to be honest).

Thanks!
I wondered about this in general. Grinders probably produce a lot of pressure between the burrs - think how much force to crack a light roasted coffee bean. And as dull as burrs are, it is probably more a case of that force that whittles beans down than the edges of the burrs. That force probably deteriorates foil shims every grind.

Johnny O

#1455: Post by Johnny O »

Does anyone have experience with of the matte WHITE color option on the Ode in terms of keeping it looking clean? The black option will obviously do a better job of hiding any dirt or grime buildup, but does the White Grinder require noticeable extra effort to keep it looking clean? Does anyone regret getting White color option rather than Black because of maintenance?

I guess this question can also apply to other Ode products like the matching matte white Stagg EKG kettle.

donut_sauce

#1456: Post by donut_sauce »

I have both the white Ode and white Stagg kettle. I don't regret the white Ode but do regret the white Stagg kettle. Unfortunately the material chosen for the lid of the white Stagg yellowed very quickly and I wish they had chosen a different plastic/material type for it. The rest of the kettle is fine.
The white ode is mostly metal and hard plastic so I'm not too worried about it yellowing and it cleans up very easily. Still looks brand new and I've had it a while. It's soft plastics/rubber that yellows easily which is what the kettle lid is made of.

EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention is that the grey rubber ring on the white ode catch cup has yellowed so it's more a grey yellow than the original neutral grey. Once again, it's a soft rubber so it yellowed due to contact with the coffee. That said it doesn't bother me at all since it's mostly out of view sitting under the grinder. I would still buy the white Ode again given the option. The off white stagg lid is always visible and a bummer.

Johnny O

#1457: Post by Johnny O »

Thanks donut_sauce! Good info and feedback.

bonjing

#1458: Post by bonjing »

Is this still the best grinder for brew coffee? I'm about ready to order, and wondering what other options I may be missing. Average daily use will be around 65g of of beans light to medium roast coffee. Range of beans will vary by what sounds good when I'm ordering.

ira
Team HB

#1459: Post by ira »

Best, no, but for the price point, either yes or very close to yes.

malling

#1460: Post by malling »

bonjing wrote:Is this still the best grinder for brew coffee? I'm about ready to order, and wondering what other options I may be missing. Average daily use will be around 65g of of beans light to medium roast coffee. Range of beans will vary by what sounds good when I'm ordering.
You can definitely get way better grinders but if you align it you can really get very good results with one of those SSP burrs.

To get noticeable improvement you would then need a 98mm grinder that are 10-11x the investment!

Any other 64mm that take SSP aren't changing the quality in brewed much, only by RPM can you get some more noticeable out but still then we are in the subtle category, again we are talking 4-6x the cost.

The Ode is definitely the best bang for the bucks, I head good things about the V2 burrs that probably make it even more so, before it was really necessary with new burrs that costed half of the cost of the grinder with that sort of roast.

But it is a bit fiddly and dos has its flaws but that's just the price you pay for something as cheap as this.