Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 144

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jfjj
Supporter ♡

#1431: Post by jfjj »

I'm getting there lol still putting mine on but contemplating it leaving it off.

Anyone find a dose cup that works with the magnet on the Ode?
- Jean

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#1432: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Johnny O wrote:I would also change the gauge to go from 0 to 10 instead of 1 to 11, but that's just personal preference I guess. 1 to 11 never made sense to me, similar to US measurement systems (and I grew up here). I know I'm not the only one who is puzzled by the 1-11 scale because James Hoffman also made a point of it.
I wonder if the Ode's designer is a Spinal Tap fan, and James Hoffman never saw the movie.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement
cactus_farmer

#1433: Post by cactus_farmer »

With stock (i.e. non-SSP) burrs, does the Ode have a cup profile similar to most conical burr grinders, or is it still more clarity-focussed than that?

Has anyone compared stock Ode to Niche Zero, Option-O Lagom Mini, Goat Story Arco, Turin SD40, or Baratza Encore with M2 burrs?

iBrew

#1434: Post by iBrew replying to cactus_farmer »

I found the V1 burrs on the Ode to be a huge step up compared to the Encore M2 I had at the time. The Ode stock burrs has good flavor separation, good clarity, rounded. I enjoyed the cups I got from the V1 burrs.

Johnny O

#1435: Post by Johnny O »

staymesso wrote:They are not redesigning the catch lid. They tried but apparently no design really improved the issue.
Really? Ah bummer. I was really looking forward to that. Are you sure? Post # 1271 at the top of page # 128 of this thread captured Fellows' announcement which had these comments:
flexyrhead wrote: [excerpt of Fellows' March 14,2022 announcement on Kickstarter]...

Quick Catch Lid Update

We have a final prototype and tooling was released to our manufacturing partner! The new catch lid design helps with containing the grinds and the pull in of the magnets still work as intended. This is a large improvement over the previous one that was designed to help address this issue. Like we've said in previous updates, our plan is still to ship the new burrs with the updated catch in the same package to you-free of charge!

Warmly,
Team Fellow
It sounded like a done deal so I thought it was good to go.

malling

#1436: Post by malling »

Frankly they should never have designed it with lid, I tossed mine in the cupboard after few weeks as I don't want that to be part of any routine it's a faff and seem like an after thought

zip15

#1437: Post by zip15 »

I am not sure if this has been mentioned already but Fellow have updated the auger design that comes with the ode. I was a kickstarter backer that started having issues with my OG unit and Fellow replaced it with a new one (shout out to them for the amazing customer service). I took it apart this evening in preparation to put in my V2 burrs arriving this week and immediately noticed the auger was different than my original one. It has a "1" on it and has a raised face that captures the bearing instead of pressing against it. I might have missed it but did Fellow say anything about the change?

Here is the original form the fellow website

Advertisement
nicholasnumbers

#1438: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to zip15 »

This was a post launch update. The new auger sits inside a ring inside the dial plate to help with alignment when placing the front dial on the unit after disassembly.

Nick

dsc106

#1439: Post by dsc106 »

Is there any issue with alignment after running SSP burrs for say 5kg?

To be clear, I have never aligned using a marker method or foil. Just screwed in, adjusted 5 clicks off chirp, and then run.

I am asking if after 5kg or so, anything needs to be done, or if the burrs may drift or be in need of alignment after running so much?

Baz

#1440: Post by Baz »

If have Q3/Q4 2021 date code Fellow Ode, is it a for sure that SSP MP burrs won't fit? Have emailed fellow the serial # but based on what i see around the internet, I'm not expecting a timely response...