Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 141

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
KindCoffeeOnline

#1401: Post by KindCoffeeOnline »

Milligan wrote:Had a bit more time with the Fellow. Unfortunately, it doesn't grind fine enough for Aeropress for my taste. Some coffees do well especially medium/dark but my lighter roasts want a finer grind. I had my staple Ethiopian natural with a medium/light roast. The flavor was great as always and the cup had clarity but lacked body. My fix for this was to go finer in the past, but I was already at the burr's limit. I swapped over to my Capresso grinder and went finer. Sure enough the body came back but it started to get that slight bitterness from the very small fines produced by this grinder. Makes me wish the Ode went a number or two finer because that would be perfect.

Drip coffee was great at the 2 mark from the Moccamaster. My wife is definitely enjoying the new grinder. Coffee has been better than ever for her preferred brew type.

I also tried my Moka Pot last night at the finest setting and it needed finer as well. Bummer!

I'm guessing I need the SSP brew burrs to get what I want out of this unit. Funny enough, I thought I had ordered it with the burr upgrade but didn't notice that I forgot to check that option until the unit came.

For fun, I have a set of stock super jolly burrs that I may throw in the Ode to see if I can get Moka and Aeropress grinds out of it.

EDIT: Stock super jolly burrs do not fit the carrier.
Do you know which version of the burrs you received with the ode? 1/1.1/2?

I'm probably going to buy an ode to replace my filter grinder soon, I know i can get the V2 burrs, but if they still dont go fine enough for light roasts then I'll order some SSP burrs at the same time.

I'm finding it quite hard to find any reliable info on the V2 burrs due to how new they are.

Jonk

#1402: Post by Jonk »

KindCoffeeOnline wrote:I'm finding it quite hard to find any reliable info on the V2 burrs due to how new they are.
As far as I know they haven't been released yet. You might find a few mentions about prototypes sent out for testing, that's all.

KindCoffeeOnline

#1403: Post by KindCoffeeOnline replying to Jonk »

Interesting, the website I'm looking at buying from states that the white model comes with the new V2 burrs, but maybe they are on "pre-sale" although they usually indicate when things won't be immediate shipped.

I'll send a message to the website to enquire.

Jonk

#1404: Post by Jonk »

Or just a mix-up. V1.1 is the second version of the Ode burrs.. Very much looking forward to V2 being released though.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#1405: Post by Milligan »

KindCoffeeOnline wrote:Do you know which version of the burrs you received with the ode? 1/1.1/2?

I'm probably going to buy an ode to replace my filter grinder soon, I know i can get the V2 burrs, but if they still dont go fine enough for light roasts then I'll order some SSP burrs at the same time.

I'm finding it quite hard to find any reliable info on the V2 burrs due to how new they are.
I'm not sure. I ordered directly from Fellow so I would hope they would have been v1.1. If you do drip brew then the standard burrs would probably be fine. On the Moccamaster we were using in the range of 2-3 for light roasts. I never tried a pour over using the Ode.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#1406: Post by Milligan »

Update: I ended up getting a hold of Fellow to try to buy the SSP burrs from them. Their site says out of stock but they offer the grinder with SSP burrs for purchase, so I thought it was worth emailing them to see if I could get a burr set. They said I'd need to send the grinder back and then they would send me one with the SSP burrs. Kind of a hassle since that means I'd be without a brew grinder for a couple of weeks. Once I got the package in the mail to them they refunded me and I purchased the grinder with SSP. Unfortunately shipping is taking quite awhile this time around (over a week.). I'll give my impressions once I get the new burrs. I'm really looking forward to them because going back to my Capresso from the Ode has been... challenging.... I'll just say I've been making mostly espresso the last week or so since the Ode has left.

KindCoffeeOnline

#1407: Post by KindCoffeeOnline »

So I contacted the website I'm looking at buying from (alternativebrewing) and asked for them to clarify if the white model comes with the v2 burrs, and to my surprise the response was yes, I even asked definitely not 1.1 but 2 and was told yes V2, but now I'm not even sure if it is the v2 burrs or they are just mixed up themself.

But I'm wondering if it even matters and it will be worth just going straight for the SSP burrs, as they are in stock, and it's within my budget.

Can anyone possibly tell me, or link me to some information on the difference between SSP red speed, and Silver Knight? I can't seem to find any conclusive information, I will only be using the ode for filter brewing.

nicholasnumbers

#1408: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to KindCoffeeOnline »

I assure you that they are incorrect. The V2 burrs have not been released to the public yet. To clear up confusion going forward, we are calling the next generation of Ode burrs the GEN 2 burrs. We'll be releasing more information on them in the coming weeks.

The difference between red speed and silver knight is just surface hardness. There should be no impact to grind quality.

Nick
★ Helpful

KindCoffeeOnline

#1409: Post by KindCoffeeOnline »

Thank you nick for that information.

Do you know if there's any build quality difference between the Black ode that comes with the V1 burrs (i assume they are the older ones before the 1.1 burrs were released) and the new white model

I prefer the look of the Black, but if the white has little updates/fixes to it I would rather get that.

copperonion

#1410: Post by copperonion »

Hi all, I recently got a ssp burr, and I might have damaged the burr :(
The stationary burr seems fine, but the coating seems little bit worn off for the rotational burr, and I am wondering if I should be worried about the usability or not :( I can't really feel anything different when I touch it, and it is less visible with bare eyes.
I am new to replacing burr, and any kind of advice would be great.