Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 136

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
j_bravo14

#1351: Post by j_bravo14 »

Experimenting on a repurposed df64 tilted base to see if the knocker will be enough to low retention without the bellows.

DavC

#1352: Post by DavC »

Need help guys. I recently changed to an acaia dosing cup, while it works well and fits snug under the ode, but when grinding I see hint of blue spark every 1-2 secs between the outer rim of the cup and the plastic grinding chute area. Will this be hazardess?

weinerd

#1353: Post by weinerd »

Is that a vernier scale on the grind adjuster? Very clever!
j_bravo14 wrote:Experimenting on a repurposed df64 tilted base to see if the knocker will be enough to low retention without the bellows.

j_bravo14

#1354: Post by j_bravo14 »

Got it from jkim you'll see the links from YouTube!

j_bravo14

#1355: Post by j_bravo14 »

Kran wrote:After using the Ode with SSP cast for a bit I'm realizing the burrs are a lot messier than stock and seems to have some more retention. So here's the ubiquitous "I put a bellow on it" post. First image is a cross section of the 3D printed adapter. Bellow is from my DF64. Metal catch cup has magnet on bottom to stay in place on the base. This works very well for me with a few pumps of the bellow and then the knocker.

I used your 3d print STL file for the plate and hopper with a df64 bellows. Initially the bellows did not push out a lot of grounds from the auger portion of the grinder and had to whack the pump really hard just to get some forced air through the chute.

After further tinkering, found that the hopper end that matters with the auger hole was letting out a lot of air, a very small gap. After adding some O-ring from Home Depot, there is now Some resistance on the bellows and I can feel more air coming out of the chute with minimal effort on the bellows! Thanks for the 3d file!

bonjing

#1356: Post by bonjing »

How much weight will the ode handle? I usually grind 65g for my daily. The niche can handle it in one shot if I'm careful and of course the the eureka scan handle more than that. But the niche cup I use for both tends to overfill so I use a small mason glass. Can the ode handle it in one shot or do I need to separate into batches?

Kran

#1357: Post by Kran »

j_bravo14 wrote: I used your 3d print STL file for the plate and hopper with a df64 bellows. Initially the bellows did not push out a lot of grounds from the auger portion of the grinder and had to whack the pump really hard just to get some forced air through the chute.

After further tinkering, found that the hopper end that matters with the auger hole was letting out a lot of air, a very small gap. After adding some O-ring from Home Depot, there is now Some resistance on the bellows and I can feel more air coming out of the chute with minimal effort on the bellows! Thanks for the 3d file!
Good adjustment. I forgot to mention that I used Ninjatek Cheetah filament for the adapter. This is a softer filament that forms a better seal with the bellow.

weinerd

#1358: Post by weinerd »

I can readily fit 100 g dark roast in the hopper and cover with the lid, and that all fits into the receiver after grinding.
bonjing wrote:How much weight will the ode handle? I usually grind 65g for my daily. The niche can handle it in one shot if I'm careful and of course the the eureka scan handle more than that. But the niche cup I use for both tends to overfill so I use a small mason glass. Can the ode handle it in one shot or do I need to separate into batches?

ohwhen

#1359: Post by ohwhen »

Apologies if this has been covered in this massive thread (I've searched but didn't find anything) but if you order the Ode with SSP burrs does it come calibrated? Or will I need to do some tweaking out of the box?

nicholasnumbers

#1360: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to ohwhen »

It's calibrated to 5 clicks off of burr touch so out of the box it's tailored to not do espresso. We do that intentionally.

Nick