Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 134

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
j_bravo14

#1331: Post by j_bravo14 »

Currently debating on either SSP MP or SSP Cast for the ODE, any recommendations?

iBrew

#1332: Post by iBrew replying to j_bravo14 »

I'm loving the SSP MP burrs in my Ode. If you're looking for clarity and sweetness the MP are great! I think they work amazing with light to medium roast. Lance did a comparison between those two burrs, I would check out his YouTube channel.

acal

#1333: Post by acal »

I'm curious how much folks think it's worth waiting for the 2.0 burrs, vs buying the Ode now with the SSP burrs. I'm asking about e.g. V60 brews specifically. Basically, putting cost aside, do we expect that the 2.0 burrs are likely to make a better pour-over than the SSP burrs offered today?

I don't understand much about burr design, but my uninformed guess is that the SSP burrs would still reign supreme (though the margin will be narrower), and that Fellow will continue to offer the SSP burrs as an upgrade over the new 2.0 stock burrs.

drH

#1334: Post by drH »

My understanding is that the 2.0 burrs will be aimed at being generally good for most brew methods and roast styles. The SSP burrs will likely still offer more clarity especially in lighter roasts. I think that deciding which is better will depend on your tastes in coffee.
I opted to go ahead and get it now with SSP. So far I like it but I'm open to experimenting with new burrs later.

chunter1001

#1335: Post by chunter1001 »

I'm looking at the Ode exclusively for pour over, Aeropress, and press pot brews. Which of the current burrs would be best? Is it worth waiting for v2 burrs from Fellow for my use?

j_bravo14

#1336: Post by j_bravo14 »

Kran wrote:After using the Ode with SSP cast for a bit I'm realizing the burrs are a lot messier than stock and seems to have some more retention. So here's the ubiquitous "I put a bellow on it" post. First image is a cross section of the 3D printed adapter. Bellow is from my DF64. Metal catch cup has magnet on bottom to stay in place on the base. This works very well for me with a few pumps of the bellow and then the knocker.

Printed the df64 bellow mount and the top plate from tinkercad website, but seems the top plate is still designed for the old funnel, can you share the STL file for the top plate for the df64 bellow funnel?

j_bravo14

#1337: Post by j_bravo14 »

Will you still be able to grind for coarse brew methods like French press if you calibrate the grinder for espresso?

Jonk

#1338: Post by Jonk replying to j_bravo14 »

With SSP burrs? Yes.

malling

#1339: Post by malling »

j_bravo14 wrote:Will you still be able to grind for coarse brew methods like French press if you calibrate the grinder for espresso?
Yes the coarsest is still coarser then you really should want to use.

alarsen77

#1340: Post by alarsen77 »

I'm thinking about an Ode to replace my virtuoso later this summer probably. I'm curious if the v1.1 burrs have been found to grind fine enough for V60? I am typically brewing medium roast coffee with the occasional light medium roast at a 28g dose to 465g of water. So not a small dose but I do sometimes tend to grind finer. I like the idea of the SSP burrs but not sure if I want to spend the extra on them or not as I'm not sure if their clarity centric flavor profile will be my favorite or not.