Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 113

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lomolta

#1121: Post by lomolta »

I read some Ode users greased certain parts of their Ode - cause English is not my first language and cause I have a bit of a hard time with all those technical terms, can someone show me, where exactly one would apply the little amount grease please?

To not get my auger stuck as some others experienced, where exactly did they grind the edges? Unfortunately I didnt really comprehend that either.

And which of these two would you recommend? This one is more liquid, this one looks more like real grease.

Thank you in advance!

majs2009

#1122: Post by majs2009 replying to lomolta »

I have used this lubricant but I bought it from a local coffee tools store.
https://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Lubrifilm ... B0178GWSYE

I applied small amount of the lubricant on a Q-tip and greased the parts (axle and inside of the auger) highlighted in the picture. The grinder runs much smoother after applying the lubricant.

Advertisement
lomolta

#1123: Post by lomolta »

Thank you very much!

malling

#1124: Post by malling »

lomolta wrote:I read some Ode users greased certain parts of their Ode - cause English is not my first language and cause I have a bit of a hard time with all those technical terms, can someone show me, where exactly one would apply the little amount grease please?

To not get my auger stuck as some others experienced, where exactly did they grind the edges? Unfortunately I didnt really comprehend that either.

And which of these two would you recommend? This one is more liquid, this one looks more like real grease.

Thank you in advance!

https://www.klueber.com/dk/da/produkter ... 201/10131/

This is the official paste Mahlkonig use in their grinders, it work great, but expensive but work better then allot of other stuff.

lomolta

#1125: Post by lomolta »

majs2009 wrote:
I have used this lubricant but I bought it from a local coffee tools store.
https://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Lubrifilm ... B0178GWSYE

I applied small amount of the lubricant on a Q-tip and greased the parts (axle and inside of the auger) highlighted in the picture. The grinder runs much smoother after applying the lubricant.

I did as you wrote and now my Ode really does run much more smoothly as you can see & hear in this video.

paulraphael

#1126: Post by paulraphael »

I've had my Ode for about 5 weeks, and like so many things about it ... but not the coffee. It's off in ways that are making me wonder if there's something wrong with mine, like bad alignment.

I'm using it exclusively for French Press, with the stock 1.1 burrs, and light to medium roast coffees from my favorite roaster. I'd gotten things dialed in well enough with my old grinder (a humble Baratza Maestro) that I could count on every batch being at least pretty good. And sometimes actually great.

With the Ode, I'm tasting both over-extracted and under-extracted flavors in every batch. Often the coffee needs to cool almost to body temperature before the fruit and other origin flavors emerge at all. The evenness of the grind looks bad at every setting. See attached pic-grind setting 5 (calibrated to chirp at 1).

I'm using filtered water, weighing everything, etc. I've used my old reliable formula, along with many variations on ratio and grind size. And I've tried some more out-there approaches, like James Hoffman's technique, and some experiments with much finer grinds and shorter brew times. The best I can get is decent, and that's with a slight variation on my old techniques.

Any thoughts? Does the grind distribution look way off compared with what you see in your Odes?

Thanks for any advice!

[Edited to add: I've run some of my pictures through Jim Ingham's coffeegrindsize app, and it's reporting a "quality" rating of around 1.14. Which is much lower than everything he uses as an example.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1127: Post by ShotClock »

I picked up an Ode a couple of weeks ago, thinking it would be an okay brew grinder for a reasonable price.

My experience has been pretty poor though. I get a lot of fines, no matter what the getting setting. A V60 will drawdown in around 6 minutes, no matter what. This is far worse than my Niche, which was not great at all.

I tried the marker test, but found that when the burrs stay to touch, they don't remove any of the marker. I get a very scratchy sound, with a setting of just over 3. I wonder if these burrs are suitable for this alignment method? The floating burr does not have flats on it's outer most surfaces.

Are there any other methods to align this grinder? Is it just junk? Am i missing something obvious?

Advertisement
Jonk

#1128: Post by Jonk »

paulraphael wrote:I'm using it exclusively for French Press, with the stock 1.1 burrs, and light to medium roast coffees from my favorite roaster.
My advice would be to grind at a relatively fine setting. With the 1.0 burrs I got pretty nice french press just off chirp. If you look back at some early posts: Fellow Ode brew grinder review you can clearly see how the grind is more consistent at fine settings - well that is usually the case, but:

I think there's a quirk with the hybrid interlocking design that kind of leads to a more bi-modal grind compared to regular flat burrs or fully interlocking ghost burrs. Basically a second or wider peak on the coarse end - perhaps it could even be characterized as tri-modal?
ShotClock wrote:Are there any other methods to align this grinder?
No easy way. You could try using a dial indicator and/or the sandpaper method but perhaps you just need to break in your burrs with a few pounds of beans.

I wrote a few pages back about how my burr chamber got scratched, seemingly by the rotating carrier. Have you opened it up to inspect your burr chamber?

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1129: Post by ShotClock »

Thanks Jonk,

I have taken a look inside the chamber, and everything seems fine. I've probably put 3-4 lb of coffee through it so far, and it has been quite consistently bad. I get quite a lot of boulders in the grind - much more so than any of my other grinders, but also a quite large amount of fines.

The fines are the real problem for me - no matter how coarse i grind, my pour overs choke. Today with the grind setting around 4, I'm getting a 6 minutes drawdown for a 16g v60. The taste was simultaneously bitter and overextracted, while being far too watery and weak.

Jonk

#1130: Post by Jonk »

ShotClock wrote:I have taken a look inside the chamber, and everything seems fine. I've probably put 3-4 lb of coffee through it so far
Well that's good to hear. Oh, sounds like that should've been enough to see some improvement if break in was the issue.
ShotClock wrote:I get quite a lot of boulders in the grind - much more so than any of my other grinders, but also a quite large amount of fines.
This was my impression as well. I sifted the very first grind I did and got this peculiar result:

(1.0 burrs just off chirp, weight percentage at different micron intervals. 1000-1200 in purple because I didn't actually use a 1100µm screen so it's just the value for 1000-1200 divided by 2)

As for results in cup I thought it was okay, but not what I was looking for. A lot more satisfied with SSP brew burrs in there.
I put the Ode 1.0 burrs in a Mazzer Mini E* and will use them for bulk brews. Sifting is a bit of a pain but eventually I'll try to check if the results were a fluke or something I can replicate.
ShotClock wrote:The taste was simultaneously bitter and overextracted, while being far too watery and weak.
I can relate to this description even though my burrs are slightly different. It's almost like a scooped sound in an amplifier.. Solid low end while still fairly clean, yet a bit lacking - if that makes any sense :lol:

I have found quite soluble medium-dark roasts the most enjoyable for V60 while some very light roasts have been fine for long immersion brews.

*perfect fit!