Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 111

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rennix

#1101: Post by rennix »

Jonk wrote:Nice! Congratulations on making a choice :D it's not a bad one either way.

Yes, I was. Now I've swapped in SSP brew instead, no issues with the fit (very little play for the stationary burr, quite a bit for the rotational). It really is a big upgrade compared to stock in my opinion.

I did have an unnerving experience after putting everything back together though. The screws* for the front plate felt kind of weird to put back in place and I'm not sure exactly what happened - I adjusted to the maximum setting because I remember reading that the SSP burrs are thicker than stock. When I turned it on to check for the new chirp point there was metal on metal noise. It seems like the fins of the rotational carrier touched the chamber walls and damaged them slightly. Aside from loose aluminium shavings I couldn't find any other signs of damage. It was like the carrier was somehow wobbly on the shaft even though it's difficult to slide on - perhaps due to low pressure from the spring?

Like I said, I'm really not sure what happened. I cleaned it out, double checked every screw and assembled everything back together at a tighter setting and turned on the grinder a small amount of clicks from lock. Even with stock burrs it didn't sound like it was rotating perfect and that impression is enhanced with SSPs. Still, it grinds fine although I think a bit differently than when the burrs were mounted horizontally in a Mazzer. Could actually be better, but it seems feed and orientation matter. No more metal on metal, haven't tried the coarsest setting yet but I don't think I'll need much more than setting 4-6 or so.

The steps are very big without interlocking burrs. I might try to make it stepless.
Back when I had an Ode and swapped with SSPS I immediately had issues due to manufacturing defects. There was also a mysterious blank screw (no threads, is it really a screw?) Fellow couldn't explain. Fellow replaced the grinder and took the customer feedback on the chin unlike some other grinder companies who have terrible support *cough* Comandante *cough*

zefkir

#1102: Post by zefkir »

dsc106 wrote:I am hoping the Ode with SSP match the hyperaligned steel vario brews. Well, there's the Ode SSP Multipurpose that everyone is using now which may over-emphasize clarity vs the Vario. BUT, SSP has new Ditting-clones - cast lab sweet burrs - that are imminent. My hope is that these will exceed the flavor from Vario. Clarity + rounded sweetness. Actually it was the promise of these burrs coming out, along with so much activity in the 64mm scene, that made me steer towards the Ode over the Vario.

Basically, I was thinking of the Ode as tied to the 64mm SSP Multipurpose when it's not... I can customize the flavor on the Ode and I suspect the 64mm Cast Lab Sweet burrs will be better than the 54mm steel Vario burrs. No, I can't align the Ode, but I am not convinced it will matter that much for filter brew.
I think SSP MP are likely to be very good at filter too.

Jonk

#1103: Post by Jonk »

I hear Fellow is supposed to have good support, but like Baratza I don't think that applies on this side of the pond. There was a bit of damage and the build quality is not perfect, but as long as it grinds fine I won't bother to complain. I wouldn't count on the local retailer to help much unless it was completely unusable.

I would've liked easier access to the burrs for cleaning because the SSP brew burrs have so many teeth for grinds to get stuck in:

ronncat

#1104: Post by ronncat »

Kran wrote:I'm not sure if I have the 1.0 or 1.1 (purchased in June 2021) but I'm doing 15g V60 and larger with adjustment room to spare. I wouldn't say that it's leaps and bounds better than my lido 2 or bulk grinder in terms of taste. It is definitely more pleasant to use.

The hopper on the Ode isn't the best, which get's annoying very fast. Something like this makes it much easier to use.

Your picture inspired my weekend project:

Thanks so much for the idea. Was trying to make a matched set with the Ode's countermates, but my powdercoating job had some issues. Also not sure I like the red color. Seriously considering stripping the powdercaoat and redoing it in black. what do you think???

rennix

#1105: Post by rennix »

Jonk wrote:I hear Fellow is supposed to have good support, but like Baratza I don't think that applies on this side of the pond. There was a bit of damage and the build quality is not perfect, but as long as it grinds fine I won't bother to complain. I wouldn't count on the local retailer to help much unless it was completely unusable.

I would've liked easier access to the burrs for cleaning because the SSP brew burrs have so many teeth for grinds to get stuck in:
Baratza actually understands good support standards. Fellow is decent but is very young and has lots of gaps yet to fill. Comandante could probably learn a thing or 300 from both given how poor their service is.

Kran

#1106: Post by Kran »

I dig it!

For me, I'd probably powder coat the top piece black and then the Ode face plate red. Fellow sells that piece for like $10.

Rice Bowl

#1107: Post by Rice Bowl »

SSP MP v2s are very good for filter. So far after having both side-by-side for around two months, I still overall prefer the MP v2 Ode to my MC4 strictly in side-by-side tasting.

jfjj

#1108: Post by jfjj »

Anyone experience long brew times with the Ode for v60. I'm up to 2.2 and my draw time for 18.5g of light/medium roast is over 4mins. The brew doesn't taste over extracted but it definitely lacks the body and rounder mouthful from the Niche. That's not a bad thing just trying to see if I will enjoy it as is. Stock burrs 1.1 I think.
- Jean

iBrew

#1109: Post by iBrew » replying to jfjj »

If you're swirling it that can clog up the filter and increase draw down times, just use a gentler swirl and see if that helps. I'm at 3 with the V1 burrs using Lance Hedrick V60 method and I'm getting great results.

Lancehedrick

#1110: Post by Lancehedrick »

Just to be sure- nothing I do is an ad. I am legally required to disclose any relationship in my videos.

I am bummed to see occasionally my authenticity called into question (not saying you are here) because I purposefully don't use affiliate links, unlike literally every other creator (Hoffmann included) so as to not seem biased.

And to address breville- I am paid by a separate company to teach people using breville machines. That would be the only suspect relationship, and even there, they offered me a 20% affiliate but I refused even though I could be making out like a bandit.

I recommend what I think is best. And fwiw, re: g iota comparison, I'll getting one in soon to see if it produces same flavor profile
I'm skeptical because of the 250 watt motor and no control on rpm.

Also, to address people quoting my "crushes vario for filter"- yes. I say this for a multitude of reasons. Easier to dial in quickly, more balanced cups, superior clarity. Sweetness is higher on vario but it comes at the price of astringency.

Should also be noted heavily I'm always brewing super light coffees! And I do have a bias towards clarity. That being said, I discuss the gorilla burrs in the video as a more syrupy sweet option. They beat vario as well

And yes, vario is 1350rpm but you can hear how the motor struggles to maintain speed with dense coffees

Anyway, thanks for the chats! I suck checking here so if any responses, it may be a bit before I see haha! Trying to juggle all the sires.

Thanks for being a wonderful resource. I constantly point people here.