Feldgrind 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
CwD

Postby CwD » Oct 30, 2017, 12:15 pm

Looks like Knock is reintroducing the Feldgrind with a few changes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba4JVmXlmSq/

instantkamera

Postby instantkamera » replying to CwD » Oct 30, 2017, 8:25 pm

With all the hub-bub about the aergrind shipping and availability, I find it funny (and somewhat ballsy) to proclaim:

"Building now for release at the end of November."

renatoa

Postby renatoa » Oct 31, 2017, 11:50 am

Which year ? :?

fyoosh

Postby fyoosh » Dec 25, 2017, 4:38 pm

Anyone here get themselves one of these yet?

Mine arrived a week or so ago and I've got to say I'm loving it. Feels really well made, has a nice weight to it, much easier to grind than I was expecting and no burr wobble.

renatoa

Postby renatoa » Dec 26, 2017, 4:53 am

Too bad the handle is fixed now... show stopper for me. :( unless you can remove together with the lid... :?
Indeed, you should feed the beans some way...

Also, noticing the missing of the second rubber band... logical, because no more handle, but... I recommend to buy one, it is very useful as thumb support.

lisa13

Postby lisa13 » Dec 27, 2017, 6:48 am

I just received my Feld 2 today, which I pre-ordered in early November. It was planned for early December delivery and the ship date was December 22. Not bad based on some of the awful stories I've read.

It was worth this short wait though - absolutely beautiful! Solid, smooth and almost perfect finish. Unfortunately I did find a rough spot along the top edge of the grind catcher - this appears to have left a nasty scratch on the section of the grinder body that fits into the catcher so I'm going to have to be extra careful with that :/

one question I have: can anyone point me to a user manual or care instructions for the Feld 2? I found some posts about the original Feldgrind but I have no idea how much is in common. My previous grinder was a porlex and it was brain-dead simple to maintain, and I've never had a hand grinder with steel burrs before. I don't want to wing it and risk messing up my new precious.

@renatoa, yes the whole lid comes off with the handle attached. For me no problem as it's meant for kitchen use only, but indeed, I'm not sure how I'm going to store this when not in use. The handle is LONG too (about 11 cm from the edge of the body, total length with the lid and knob is pushing 16.5cm)

stantman

Postby stantman » Dec 28, 2017, 11:16 pm

I just received mine and was wondering the same thing (regarding a set of instructions). Anyone found some yet?

RyanP

Postby RyanP » Dec 29, 2017, 12:15 am

I wanted a portable brew grinder for my work and didn't want to drop that much money on it so I took advantage of the early bird price on the feld2. I ordered mid-November and received today. No cosmetic scratches or blemishes. Took me a couple minutes to figure out but pretty straightforward. It zeroes out at 1 and is looking like my brew grind will be around 3 to 3.25 rotations, somewhere on the 1-3 mark.

No need for any extra grip support or any kind of thumb grip. Grinding light roast beans is pretty easy with a loose grip, even on a fine espresso grind. This is my first small burr hand grinder so nothing to compare to, but I'm surprised at how easy it is to grind (although it does take a lot of rotations). The grinding feel is smooth and reminds me of the mahlgut, almost like you're shaving the beans.

Consistency of grind looks solid.

Catch cup stays on very well while grinding but is also easy to remove.

Handle and lid come off no problem, but not an issue with coming off while grinding.

No burr wobble on my unit. Seems pretty rock solid.

I haven't made any coffee with it yet, but based on look and feel, so far I've got nothing to complain about. The build seems excellent and the design seems well executed.

lisa13

Postby lisa13 » Dec 30, 2017, 9:16 am

just an update having used it a bit

grind consistency is fantastic even for french press

With the top/handle in place, turn the dial counter clockwise for coarser grind, clockwise for finer. This is not so easy in practice, but I found that holding the dial in place while turning the HANDLE works very well as you have more leverage. in that case, you turn the handle in the opposite direction, so ccw for finer, cw for coarser.

my grind cup falls off if I'm not careful :/ My hands are small, so when I hold the grinder by the silicone/rubber grip, only the heel of my hand is on the cup. I think this inadvertently pushes the cup down and off during grinding. Solution for me is to hold the bottom of the grinder against my hip - I think I've seen this recommended elsewhere too.

bottom line: unless you have big hands, be careful.

The only "down" side is that I have to completely re-tweak all my ratios/brew times, as the results are completely different than with the porlex. My second cup this morning was FANTASTIC though, so I'm not really complaining

fyoosh

Postby fyoosh » Jan 01, 2018, 9:42 am

Is your catch cup quite loose then? Mine is really tight, kind of have to twist it on and off with a fair bit of effort, there's no way it's ever coming loose when I'm grinding. It's actually pretty difficult to get it on and off tbh.