Feldgrind 2 - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by samuellaw178 »

dptntkfkd4ever wrote:In other high end grinders (particularly thinking of the Kinu M47), even having the burrs set to zero should not cause the burrs to rub. In fact, there are videos where in other grinders, the burrs are perfectly aligned but the inner burr can spin freely. However, with the Feld2, the burrs, when set to zero, cause significant burr rub.
Hi John,

Thanks for sharing that. I don't have a Feldgrind, but would like to point out something that seems like it might be a misunderstanding. All burrs should and will rub when set to zero. The only reason Kinu doesn't rub is because the burrs' travel is artificially limited. The zero on Kinu is actually an offset zero rather than a true zero. So burrs rubbing by itself does not indicate an inferior alignment, but premature rubbing when grinding for espresso is and indicates misalignment.

In your second video, it does look like either the inner burr is wobbling, or the outer burr is not aligned properly. It may benefit from an alignment exercise. I recall there was a technical guide that covers alignment procedure of Feldgrind on Coffeeforum UK, but it appears either the thread has been removed or my Google skill is lacking... :oops: Perhaps one of the Feldgrind owners can share that.

dptntkfkd4ever

#52: Post by dptntkfkd4ever replying to samuellaw178 »

Thank you for the comment.
I've realized you're right. I guess I was too enamored by watching videos of "floating" kinu burrs.

I searched online for the original Feldgrind alignment instructions but it seems like the video has been deleted from Youtube.

If anyone has the instructions, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

namelessone

#53: Post by namelessone »

As the burrs move closer together it's inevitable that they'll start rubbing at some point. Feldgrind at 0 the burrs should be pretty much locked and you shouldn't be able to turn the handle. You can roughly judge how well it's aligned by how much you have to adjust the grind coarser until there is no rub. I wouldn't really mess with alignment unless you were having some issues though.

Kinu M47 with burrs at 0 is not locked or touching, but the burrs are so close together that hardly any coffee comes out when you grind. It is very well aligned out of the factory, at least my unit was (v1).

renatoa

#54: Post by renatoa »

Mine locks at zero and rotate free with no rub at 0.2
Is the best centered copy I read so far here, to have as reference.

dptntkfkd4ever

#55: Post by dptntkfkd4ever replying to renatoa »

Mine gets free of burr rub after 0.6 or so.

Do you know how to realign these things? I tried by loosening the outer burr and tightening the inner burr as much as i can (0.1) and then tightening the outer burr. Im not sure if this is how youre supposed to do it, but for now, there's less fines. But i can still see a little bit of off-centered spin

jbviau
Supporter ★

#56: Post by jbviau »

samuellaw178 wrote:I recall there was a technical guide that covers alignment procedure of Feldgrind on Coffeeforum UK, but it appears either the thread has been removed or my Google skill is lacking... :oops: Perhaps one of the Feldgrind owners can share that.
After some searching, I found that the thread was taken down or hidden there for whatever reason. It can still be accessed here in archived form: https://web.archive.org/web/20180123195 ... ifications
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

dptntkfkd4ever

#57: Post by dptntkfkd4ever replying to jbviau »

Thank you!
Im thinking maybe Peter asked to have it removed to reduce owner-induced damage? Not sure.

But from reading the feldgrind realignment instructions, it seems what I did was right. Loosen the outer burr screw, tigthen the inner burr as much as you can, and then screw the outer burr hex-screw back in.

I gotta still say, I'm a little dissappointed that the Feld2 alignment isnt as nice as that of Kinu or Lido, but maybe this is just because I had too high of an expectation in the first place. I guess maybe the feld-series isn't as far up there as other high end grinders in terms of build design?

The burr rub kind of make sense since in the feld-series, the way you fix in the outer burr is by tightening one screw from one side. It causes the outer burr to ever so slightly nudge towards the opposite end. Maybe a way to adjust for this is by placing a small layer of tape on the outer burr opposite of the hex screw side. In the Lido, I know the outer burr is fixed in by 4 screws all around the burr and not just one side.

Anywho, thank you all for the help!

PPapa

#58: Post by PPapa »

I am the author of the aforementioned guide. Or, well, I pulled the information from smarter and more knowledgable people than me and got it together.

It was removed as I had a painful personal experience with MBK. My messages have been ignored for almost a year even though I tried three different means of communication. I no longer felt it was fair keeping that thread alive as I put too much time and effort in making it. There's so much we can do as a community and some things just need to be resolved by MBK and I am no longer sure I trust in them as a company. But oh well... still use my Feldgrind! It's just unlikely I would buy or recommend one anymore.

The adjustment should be locked in place quite well. There should be a flat bit on the outer burr where the side screw goes into. The most important bit is not to force the side screw in too much as it will displace the outer burr. The burr rub should disappear at around 50-75% of a full turn.

renatoa

#59: Post by renatoa »

With all the due respect for your hard work, anything more than one quarter turn is misaligned.
One full turn is 0.2 mm between burrs for FG - perpendicular distance on teeth, not shaft move, which is 0,5 mm for one turn.
If rub disappear at half turn this means 0.1 mm decenter, thus when set the dial at 0.3 mm, to grind for espresso, actually will have in cup an equal spread between 0.2 and 0.4 mm of grounds.
No rub at one quarter of a turn will translate into 50 um decentering, closer to the Kinu class grinder we desire.
I own both, and was been blessed with a well centered copy, I can use them interchangeable with similar results, 1.3 on Kinu equate to 1.6 on FG (Kinu has 10 ticks per turn)

PPapa

#60: Post by PPapa replying to renatoa »

I have had 3 (or maybe 4?) MBK grinders and I don't think I ever had better alignment that has the burr rub disappear under half a turn.

I don't know if it's bad luck, ability to cock up anything mechanical (very likely) or different burr rub interpretation. I define the burr rub any sound and don't judge burr rub by the feel of resistance.