Faustino Hopper - Compatible with Eureka Mignon Specialita?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MissingData

#1: Post by MissingData »

Hi,

It looks like the Faustino hopper may be compatible. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I prefer the shape and lid of the Faustino hopper.

Thanks!

MissingData (original poster)

#2: Post by MissingData (original poster) »

Images for reference:
Rocket Faustino
Eureka Mignon

dak

#3: Post by dak »

looks like the same throat design as my specialita

#4: Post by MissingData (original poster) »

Just wanted to confirm that it does fit - I have one on order.

SCARR2K

#5: Post by SCARR2K replying to MissingData »

How's the Faustino working for you? I do agree like the look of the hopper better.

#6: Post by MissingData (original poster) »

It's been working great - the lid is much better than the one that comes Eureka.

JackJames

#7: Post by JackJames »

Hi there, I found this conversation as I am really unhappy about the lack of seal and bent lid of my Eureka Specialita hopper - what were they thinking ???!!!!

Eureka sent me a replacement as I purchased new - but the replacement was even more bent out of shape. This is just simply a terrible design flaw.

I saw this thread and a couple of others on the interwebby and contacted EspressoCoffeeShop. They advised that they can sell and ship me the Faustino hopper "but it does not fit perfectly to the Specialita".

Given they have no reason not to sell it, in fact an opportunity to do so, it made me wonder if this imperfect fit is going to present no better option to maximise the freshness of beans than the original hopper with the dodgy lid.

For those who have done this mod, can you advise what is imperfect about it , as looks like the same throat and screw fitting from the pictures.

I hope Eureka wise up soon and put a hopper on the Mignon range that is appropriate for an otherwise excellent grinder. Keeping beans fresh is a non-negotiable and not something that a serious grinder company should have overlooked when designing and manufacturing the hopper.

Yum

#8: Post by Yum »

Exactly right, Jack about crappie eureka hoppers
TERRIBLE :|

LindoPhotography

#9: Post by LindoPhotography »

I'd Single dose, and/or do the single dose mod, or just put enough coffee for like 2-3 shots worth of coffee in the hopper so the weight helps give you a more consistent grind.
Do you notice the coffee gets stale quick leaving it in the hopper? I Never really used a hopper, I always been single dosing. I would think it wouldn't be too bad as long as it's not in sunlight.

#10: Post by MissingData (original poster) »

JackJames wrote: For those who have done this mod, can you advise what is imperfect about it , as looks like the same throat and screw fitting from the pictures.
Sorry for the delayed response. I've substituted the Faustino hopper a while ago, and funny enough I had asked the ECS folks if it would fit and they actually test fit it on the phone to confirm. The Faustino hopper and lid are much sturdier than the Mignon one, but the internal throat is the issue on the Faustino. I would constantly have to knock stuck beans making timed dosing useless (and any dosing extremely frustrating).

Mignon hopper is back on unfortunately.