Faema Tipo Family grinder manual

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cricketrulez

#1: Post by cricketrulez »

Hi,

can anyone refer me to a manual for the Faema Tipo Family espresso grinder. Picked it up on ebay and would like to learn how to maintain it properly. Thanks.

CR

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

I never had a manual for my Faema Family grinder. Never really needed one. They are pretty basic.

Just run a handful of minute rice through it ever 20 lbs of beans or so and pull the upper carrier to brush it out.

They are a bit of a PITA to completely disassemble but not to bad. You shouldn't need to take it apart completely unless the return spring on the doser breaks or the power switch goes out.

cricketrulez (original poster)

#3: Post by cricketrulez (original poster) »

Thanks. I'm new to the proper espresso game and just putting equipment together. how often do the burrs need to changed, if at all?

CR

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 »

I bought new burr set for mine but never changed them.

If you get good results from the grinder with your machine, don't worry about the burrs. If you don't like the grind consistency or can't get a good pull, the burrs are cheap and easy to replace.

I'll see if I can find the burrs I bought for it. I have the grinder loaned out right now to a local coffee/donut shop that want's to try espresso drinks.

I always got good results with it and my CMA single group machine. I never used it with my BDB.

#5: Post by cricketrulez (original poster) »

Hi, the grind adjustment seems to be stuck on mine. I took the hopper off and looks i need a wide metal blade to unlock/unstuck the top piece. Is there anything else i need to do? any tips or recommendations? thanks

luvmy40

#6: Post by luvmy40 »

IIRC, the upper burr should come off with the hopper. Just unscrew the hopper to coarsen the grind until it is free. If the hopper is broken loose from the upper burr carrier you might need to clean things up as much as possible to reassemble it so you can screw the upper carrier out.

A pic of what is going on might be helpful.

The threads are very fine and it is easy to get cross threaded so be careful in reassembly. There are a couple plastic "bullets" on springs that are the detents for the adjustment. Don't lose them.

The threads will get caked with grinds and oils over time so they do need to be cleaned periodically. Minute rice and a good brushing have always worked for me.

If it is really bad, you might want to suspend the threaded carrier in a Cafiza or PBW solution and let it soak for a while.

#7: Post by cricketrulez (original poster) »

where can I buy new burrs for this? thanks

CR