Evaluate my burrs, please

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Aspiring-Coffee-snob

#1: Post by Aspiring-Coffee-snob »

So, I am new to H-B and you have the honor to weigh in on my very first post, don't you feel lucky, lol? :lol:

Anyway, I JUST purchased a Ditting KF804 today for...drumroll please....brace yourself............the amazingly low price of only $100!!! :D
It was on Craigslist with no pics, brand or model #, but when I inquired and was told what it was, I drove 80 mi. to get it the same day they replied!

I took the burrs out, cleaned the machine (fairly well), and everything looks great (to me). I took a few pics of the burrs and I would appreciate if any knowledgeable member would give me their opinion of their condition. Also, can you confirm if these are the cast ones? The grit texture on the flat black areas look like it's from casting sand/media to me) The first two pics are the bottom, the next three are the top. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Those are absolutely dead and worn flat. Replace them. Good deal though!

* Also, consider calling Ditting USA, and see if these can be traded in for sharpened burrs at a lower cost. Their "resharpening" service applies to pressed burrs like these, but they don't actually sharpen the exact ones you send in. If you send yours in (granting that they're able to resharpen them) they'll inspect them, toss them in a big pile and send out another pair just like it that was just resharpened.

Generally, they can do this up to 3 times. Each time a set is sharpened, it gets stamped. So they check for that too.

Mind you, this may not even be one of the versions they bother to resharpen. Call and ask.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Aspiring-Coffee-snob (original poster)

#3: Post by Aspiring-Coffee-snob (original poster) »

WOW! THANKS A LOT BUZZKILL, LOL! Just kidding, thanks for letting me know!

danetrainer

#4: Post by danetrainer »

Here is a photo of the new style "machined" burrs from Ditting I installed in my KF804,
I recommend you buy the new version instead of having your old ones resharpened.
My cast burrs were still in excellent condition, but there is no comparison to the new ones.
You will need the ones with the screw holes to mount them in your KF804.
This burr is for the KF805 or Tanzania with magnetic mount, but otherwise the same.

#5: Post by Aspiring-Coffee-snob (original poster) »

Thank you, seeing the difference was helpful.

#6: Post by Aspiring-Coffee-snob (original poster) »

Different set(1)

Different set(2)

TYVM

danetrainer

#7: Post by danetrainer »

Odd looking burr holder in those pics...I'm not familiar with those.

I can take a close up photo of my cast burrs if you like, they are essentially new with somewhere between 50-100 lbs through them.

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

danetrainer wrote:Odd looking burr holder in those pics...I'm not familiar with those.
They're pretty standard for any batch grinder, Bunn, Mahlkonig or otherwise. Pretty much any horizontal shaft grinder uses augers build into the rotating burr mount like that.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#9: Post by Aspiring-Coffee-snob (original poster) »

So, what was your opinion of the two additional burr sets?

I left one burr plate, in each set, attached to the burr auger rotor for two reasons: 1)If it turns out I'm gonna to re-install them as-is, might as well save some work and, 2)The screws were on hella tight, not sure i can even get them off, LOL!

danetrainer

#10: Post by danetrainer »

I guess that's still the confusing part for me is the mounting plate and auger are not the design of the vertical mounted Ditting KF804.

The original photos in the first post are identical to my KF804, how are you planning to install them mounted to those plates?

The pics of the two additional sets appear to me to be quite worn, it's difficult to determine not holding them side by side with my set.

I will need to take pics with my camera and transfer to my computer to get a quality close up of my cast burrs, that'll take me a day or so being short on time at the moment.

Also, thanks Tom for the description of the horizontal bulk grinder mounts, I actually had a KA Proline 10 years ago which had this style mounting, I was trying to understand how it related to the KF series Ditting.