Eureka Specialty 75 bean feed problem

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
robmack

#1: Post by robmack »

I have an Eureka Speciaty 75 grinder (which I love) that has a bean hopper feed issue. I usually fill the hopper with enough whole beans to satisfy 2 days worth of grinding. That works out to about 100 grams. The hopper is filled about 1/4 in this state. The whole beans don't feed uniformly into the grinding area and so at times, the ground beans will stop flowing out the feed chute into the portafilter even though there are plenty of whole beans to feed the process. So, what I end up doing is opening the hopper cover and pressing the whole beans down with my fingers, and then grinding in increments of 0.4 seconds to top up the portafilter.

How do I solve this problem and improve the flow of whole beans?
- Robert

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I've read that some people put a sealed bag of "something" on top of the coffee beans to keep a more even feed pressure. "Something" might be rice, dried beans, ... , pretty much anything that you wouldn't panic if the bag broke and they headed down toward your burrs.

jrham12

#3: Post by jrham12 »

Rob,
Not sure if this is a route you'd want to take, but I modeled and 3D printed a new hopper that doesn't have the guard in the middle...
Here's the back-story: I use my Atom 75 for my wife's beans. She doesn't drink espresso but uses them in her daily cafe mocha (with chocolate sauce, raspberry syrup, steamed milk and whipped cream). Needless to say, she can't taste the coffee in the drink so I buy her cheap beans from either the grocery store or amazon which are usually dark roasted and kinda oily. Depending on the beans, sometimes they would "cling" a little and get hung up on the center guard thing. Now without the guard, everything flows down quite nicely.
I know that the 3D printed funnel has small layer lines and traps some of the oils and chaff which could go rancid so I just take it off every so often and give it a wash. It's worked well so far. I usually keep at least a couple days worth of beans in it though so I kept it the same size as the original. If you're only loading up 100gm at a time, you could go with a smaller hopper with steeper walls to aid the process. I also printed it in black PETG so it keeps the light away. (Not that she'd notice the beans are stale; I can't even get her to use a scale!!! :) )

Josh

Oskuk

#4: Post by Oskuk »

I have the 65e. I lost my middle guard long time ago. But never had problems before or after that. Only the oiliest italians could make a arch and refuse to go down.

robmack (original poster)

#5: Post by robmack (original poster) »

What is the purpose to that middle guard anyway? Is it person protection for the user to prevent them from sticking their fingers into the moving parts?
- Robert

SandraF

#6: Post by SandraF »

I have the same grinder, and recall reading that optimally, there needs to be 4 oz on the bean column in order to provide enough weight to push the beans down into the auger.

I've been doing single dosing by dumping my beans down the hopper while grinder is spinning. I've got the timer for a 'double" set for 6.35 seconds & pour 18.5 g beans down & get close to the same out.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

robmack wrote:Is it person protection for the user to prevent them from sticking their fingers into the moving parts?
As far as I know, yes