Eureka Specialita - Adjust RPM

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coolguy121

#1: Post by coolguy121 »

Leaning on the pros in here! Is there any possibility to adjust RPM of Eureka Mignon Specialita?
I'm not a technically savvy person, but is there any risk of using dimmer switch to control RPM for grinding?

The logic here is to aim for lower RPM to reduce fine production.

Thanks!

K7

#2: Post by K7 »

I haven't seen anyone trying what you wrote. You probably would have to lower by quite a bit to see a difference. At that point, I suspect motor stalls are much more likely, especially with dense light beans. Or maybe it works okay since the Mignon's motor seems quite powerful (I never had a stall instance in 3 years).

There is another way to achieve reduction of fines: slow feeding of beans into the burrs, say, over 50 second period. It will drastically reduce fines and you will get a gusher unless you grind much finer. I did this with the Specialita for a while for light roasts to get sweeter shots (it does work), but got tired of the manual routine in the end. I also tried to come up with an automated slow feeder but didn't go very far.

Advertisement
buckersss
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by buckersss »

If I were you, I'd look into a Vfd

Controlling the RPM of a DF64 with a VFD

Depending on how much one wants to reduce rpm, a 0.75kva may work, probably more prudent to use at least a 1kva though.

ltanzil

#4: Post by ltanzil »

coolguy121 wrote:Leaning on the pros in here! Is there any possibility to adjust RPM of Eureka Mignon Specialita?
I'm not a technically savvy person, but is there any risk of using dimmer switch to control RPM for grinding?

The logic here is to aim for lower RPM to reduce fine production.

Thanks!
please do not use dimmer to control your grinder rpm. i will not work properly.
dimmer will lower the rpm but doing it ineffectively. beside dropping the rpm it also drop the torque of the motor, it will stall the motor easily.

the correct way is to use vfd. it control the rpm by changing the ac supply frequency not chopping it like dimmer. this solution is not for novice and not for the faint hearted . who knows what variable frequency will do to the eureka control board,

i burn my df64 control board the first time i turn it on with vfd ( i end up by passing it any way)

so i dont recomend doing variable rpm for eureka mignon unless you really expert in electronic.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by buckersss »

That is a great worm gear mod for the df64. Did you create that yourself or is it for sale anywhere?

ltanzil

#6: Post by ltanzil »

i modified it from worm gear that i bought of ali express

1Set Gear Diameter:93mm 1:90 Ratio 1M 90T Steel Worm Gear Reduction Gear
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKunI34

coolguy121 (original poster)

#7: Post by coolguy121 (original poster) replying to ltanzil »

Appreciate your detailed reply on this. And also, great to hear from Fellow Indonesian in this forum! Originally from there as well.