Eureka Perfetto adjustment gear needs calibration?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Pelbaya

#1: Post by Pelbaya »

Good day everyone.

I have been using a Eureka Specialita grinder for the past 2 years. The store I purchased it from had a special edition, a Specialita that has a Perfetto adjustment gear instead of the standard black infinite one.

Recently, I noticed that the right grinding setting is midway in the turk area of the gear. I remember being able to choke my machine at that setting when I first tried the grinder. Now, it just seems like the proper setting to get a good extraction.

So my question: although I did read some HB forum posts from other Eureka Perfetto owners that pointed a similar « issue » (if we can call it an issue), I am certain that it needs to be recalibrated. Has anyone been able to recalibrate the adjustment mecanism? If so, any feedback as to how it went? Do you have a procedure that you could share?

I intended to eventually open the grinder from the bottom to reveal the interior and inspect the adjustment mecanism and see how to calibrate it, if that is possible.

Thanks !

Pelbaya (original poster)

#2: Post by Pelbaya (original poster) »

Just an update, I took my grinder appart to try to figure it out by myself.

The only thing I found was a nut that is accessible when you unscrew the bottom of the grinder (see picture).

I will play with it to see if it changes anything. It seems to be putting some pressure on the arm that pushes the bottom of the motor up, to bring the burrs closer to each other.

Will post my discoveries, findings and failures.

Advertisement
espressotech

#3: Post by espressotech »

Hi
i have same issue the Turkish coffee is really espresso coffee and start of Turkish coffee burrs are touching .
now also the finest grind on Turkish is not exceeding 20 seconds brewing
my assumption is that the tension with the arm you mentioned is weekend over time and when beans are pressed between the burrs they are pushing the gap and it is not tight as supposed to be
and since that is happing the result is too coarse grinding to solve this i think the arm should be replaced
and strengthen for bending for future models.
regards
Guy
Guy Tzur

#4: Post by Pelbaya (original poster) »

Hi there,

To be honest, after one unsuccessful attempt to correct the issue, I decided to postpone further trials since I still managed to dial the grinder at the « Turkish » setting for a proper extraction.

Although the reseller thinks the grinder is working fine (without having inspected it), I still think it needs an adjustment or recalibration.

I even contacted Eureka and they share the same opinion.

I'll give it another shot sometime soon and I will post my findings.

#5: Post by Pelbaya (original poster) »

Good day, after procrastinating my intervention, I finally decided to try it yesterday.

Conclusion: the bolt does not affect the calibration of the grinder.

I have found another lead to correct my issue.

I will unmount the grinder motor completely and hope to gain access to the adjustment know.

More to come!

thoang77

#6: Post by thoang77 »

Im confused what you're trying to achieve. If you're able to turn the adjustment knob to the point the burrs are touching, what is the problem? Are you just trying to get the point of contact to match the zero on your adjustment dial? I'd just use the dial as a reference and remember/mark your actual zero and work from there. The numbers and labels are just suggestions, not hard fast rules.

#7: Post by Pelbaya (original poster) »

Hi, thanks for your question.

I agree that numbers are just suggestions. What concerns me is the fact that I am noticing a drift in the settings I am using. If the drifting issue keeps on going, will it eventually render it difficult to grind fine enough?

Also, I know other people are experiencing this issue, and Eureka does not seem to acknowledge the issue, nor does my vendor (which also is an authorized repair shop for Eureka).

What I am trying to do is to figure out how to reset the calibration to get the settings where they were before, and have a workaround if the drifting issue goes too far.

By the way, if I turn the dial, I am not hearing them touching.

Do you have the same grinder?

Thanks

Advertisement
espressotech

#8: Post by espressotech »

Hi
I think I figured that out .The problem is that coffee fines are accumulating in the funnel from the entrance to the exit
this cause 2 result
1. as long you do not open and clean even the finest grind is not enough for espresso
2. since there is quite a lot coffee residues inside coffee taste is damaged.
How do i know that? i opened and cleaned and as a result I could go back to the espresso region and same coffee taste much better.
it seems strange that the Eureka is not aware of that , I think they should sell the grinder with same blower lid as they sell ATOM that way coffee will not accumulate inside funnel and I also checked the retaining after cleaning it is less 2 grams about 1.5 so this problem can be prevented.
attached picture before and after cleaning I believe half of the funnel or more was clogged.
also the crasher of lumps was pushed by ground coffee up to the funnel top and did not fulfill his function.
I lowered it back to position ,
regards
Guy
Guy Tzur

#9: Post by Pelbaya (original poster) »

Thanks Guy,

I can say cleaning did not correct my issue as I have cleaned the grinder thoroughly many times (including the burrs and funnel) without noticing any change in the grind settings. My lump crusher was never bent.

Thanks for you feedback though

espressotech

#10: Post by espressotech »

so it seems like burrs issue
is your grinding time also longer than 1.5 gr/sec.?
Guy Tzur