Eureka Olympus - Experiences with grind retention? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
erik82

Postby erik82 » Jan 13, 2019, 5:11 am

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:Wow, 8 grams would be a lot for me. I am probably not going to use the blower since I don't want to use tape.

In the Clive Coffee video here, they only measured 3.5 grams for the Olympus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_eWwZbEhrI?t=326. I am having a hard time visualizing/understanding the different ways of measuring. How was the way you tested different to the way they tested? Or better asked, why are their numbers different?

NOTE: If you fast forward to time mark 5:20 that is where they are testing the Olympus

They don't say how they tested just threw in a random number without explaining anything. They probably measured the wrong way which I wrote in my previous post. I always test it myself and do it the right way. Retailers need to sell products so saying it has 3.5gr of retention will mean more people will buy it.

The Olympus does a very good job for grind retention which is fairly low due to a good design. If you don't want 6-9gr of retention than don't buy a GOD grinder but a doser grinder or dedicated singledosegrinder. It's just the design which causes it and there's nothing to do about it.

linuxAndJavaScript

Postby linuxAndJavaScript » replying to erik82 » Jan 13, 2019, 5:26 pm

Thank you for the information. Any chance, do you know the grind retention on the Compak K3? It would help me know to compare. I tried to figure it out but I can not really tell for sure in grams.

goalerjones

Postby goalerjones » replying to linuxAndJavaScript » Jan 14, 2019, 2:37 am

I found this thread on that question https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.p ... k-K3/page2

erik82

Postby erik82 » Jan 14, 2019, 6:13 am

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:Thank you for the information. Any chance, do you know the grind retention on the Compak K3? It would help me know to compare. I tried to figure it out but I can not really tell for sure in grams.

I don't think it'll be much different than that of the Olympus. The Olympus has a much better design than the K3 regarding retention (K3: much more room between burrs and grind chamber and pretty long spout). I did clean out a K3 of a friend of mine before I sold it for him but there was a pretty large amount of grinds still in there. I didn't measure it but with experience I can tell it isn't far off in regard to the Olympus. That's what I quoted about GOD grinders having more retention due to the overall design.