I've had this grinder for ~3 months and really like it. I've probably put 15-20# through it in that time. The double-shot counter is around 350 as of this morning. I use the manual purge option from time to time as well.
I found this article on Mythos burr alignment (link below) and figured i'd check mine out at the next opportunity. It turns out that i was between coffees and had a couple of hours to take a look at this yesterday, i thought the forum might find this interesting.
In addition to alignment i also wanted to figure out how to remove the portafilter holder which required removing the front controls and chute. (or so i thought, you can actually just pull it out with a little extra effort and put it back in too) as part of doing that i figured out how the clump smasher works and what the retention looks like. This was kind of like 10 years ago when i discovered that the manual Mazzer dosers don't stay clean on their own.
Mythos Burr Alignment Doc:http://coffeenavigated.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MythosBurralignment-howto_MatNorth.pdf Alignment:
First step was to remove the hopper and top burr and then clean it out as best as possible:
Then remove the top and bottom burrs completely and clean/dry them, i forgot to take a picture, they clean up real nice though.
Following the guide i then reinstalled the burrs, centered each of them on their respective mount using paper shims (sorry, i forgot to make pictures)
Then using a blue dry-erase marker i colored the outer ring of each burr (i tried a kids couch-safe crayola marker first but it doesn't work nearly as well as the dry-erase does)
Then I ran the grinder and slowly adjusted it finer until the burrs touched. I backed it off, stopped the grinder, and removed the burrs. Looks like mine is well aligned from the factory - which is great. From the marker it looks like there might be a very minor high spot (between 1 and 3 o'clock in the top burr picture picture) but it doesn't appear significant at all. (i'd love to hear what others think)
The mounts on the Olympus appear to be designed such that alignment is going to be pretty dead on from the factory, i imagine assembly problems could lead to mis-alignment as well, but mine was good.Retention:
I was a bit surprised about this - there's a decent amount of retention in the grinder. A regular cleaning get's a lot out of the burrs and the accessible part at the top of the grinder. I doubt this makes a difference day to day but a regular cleaning is probably a good idea, the bulk of it is around the exit hole (from burr to chute) and the clump crusher. I wasn't able to weigh it as i dumped a bunch of it in the sink before thinking about it. There were grinds in the control box as well, it was a small amount and likely just due to ineffective sealing of the compartment. I can see this accumulating over time though given that my grinder is pretty much still brand new and is only used at home.
Unfortunately the clump crusher and exit hole are not easy to clean without disassembling the grinder like i did. The flexible plastic crusher arms will likely break if i shove a brush through them too many times. I'll check this again maybe in a few months or a year and i may end up removing the crusher arms so i will be able to use a brush in the future.
First step - remove the logo sticker to reveal the screw that holds the controls on:
Second - Pull the controls off (it pops off easily, just watch out for the LED as it's just surface mounted and sort of bent into position)
The clump crusher and chute assemble is a little finicky to remove but it pops out easily enough and you can get it all back into place easily too. If i do this again it'll take me 10 minutes start to finish.
From burrs to the clump crusher - it's not a perfect fit and so the grinds fill the void
The clump crusher before i removed it - totally blocked with coffee, there's a channel in the middle where the newly ground coffee forces through - it accumulates around the edges
The clump crusher removed
This is most of what i got out of the grinder, it's not insignificant but i wasn't able to weigh it
Then reassemble and we're back in business: