Eureka Olympus 75e Burr Alignment and Retention - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ellejaycafe

#11: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Doing some research today and i noticed that the only seller in NA (SCG) has the "high speed" version. I was hoping that with the lack of a cooling system I would be able to get the 900rpm version and not the 1400rpm. Do you guys have the high speed version?

What do you like about the eureka over the k30?
LMWDP #544

Ellejaycafe

#12: Post by Ellejaycafe »

wholemilklatte wrote:Not a problem LJ. i have a much different use case than yours. I can say that for my (home) use this grinder is great even though it's oversized for home use. I was upgrading from a Mazzer Mini so it was a significant upgrade with regard to burr size, power, dosing, and adjustability.

I'm lucky to happen to have a kitchen space for my coffee setup where cabinet height isn't a concern which helps it work.

the only thing i feel like is a bit of a downside right now is that it's really difficult to clean the full grind path, something i would do weekly, or at least with each bean change, with my mini. the grind adjustment mechanism and lack of retention far outweighs that though (IMO). I've been able to dial in my dosing so i waste little to no coffee, something that was impossible with the manual dose in the mazzer.

I recently started using the WDT and have reached another level of consistency with my extractions. now all my problems are all user error for sure - and i know it :mrgreen:
I clean my k30 every two weeks and i love how easy it is to clean. It looked like the eureka would be just as easy?

Do you find the need for WDT with every shot? With the k30 I️ simply do the "perg tapping" and tamp and get perfect shots everytime. M
LMWDP #544

espressotime

#13: Post by espressotime »

bas wrote:Help is on its way! Around january 2018 the Atom with 75 mm burrs is expected. Either in steel, red speed or TiN. That means a "poor man's Mythos" in a kitchen friendly size. Sounds like the (almost) perfect home grinder.
Will it still be the noise killer it is now with the bigger diameter burrs?

Scott_G

#14: Post by Scott_G »

bas

#15: Post by bas »

espressotime wrote:Will it still be the noise killer it is now with the bigger diameter burrs?
Seems so! According to Eureka website with Silence Technology...

http://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/pro ... o/1/5.aspx

Javier

#16: Post by Javier replying to bas »

Wow! Nice looking grinder. I wonder if it will reach North America.
LMWDP #115

Scott_G

#17: Post by Scott_G »

Oops, linked to the G60 (75?). NVM. That Atom is pretty nice :-)

wholemilklatte (original poster)

#18: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

Ellejaycafe wrote:I clean my k30 every two weeks and i love how easy it is to clean. It looked like the eureka would be just as easy?

Do you find the need for WDT with every shot? With the k30 I️ simply do the "perg tapping" and tamp and get perfect shots everytime. M
It's super easy to clean, i just pop the hopper off, remove the top burr, and spend a couple of minutes with a brush. done and done.

i just have to juggle cleaning it with when i run out of or switch beans. sometimes those two things line up conveniently, sometimes not.

#19: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

Ellejaycafe wrote:Doing some research today and i noticed that the only seller in NA (SCG) has the "high speed" version. I was hoping that with the lack of a cooling system I would be able to get the 900rpm version and not the 1400rpm. Do you guys have the high speed version?

What do you like about the eureka over the k30?
When i was looking for mine i found a place on the east coast (US) that had the 900rpm version in stock. It was NOS though so there were a few differences. Off the top of my head: an older style dosing button that has since been updated due to early failure, older firmware with a more inconvenient method for topping off / manual dosing, and i think the mythos burrs were available for an upcharge as they weren't standard then.

That came from the person who was selling them.

(EDIT: spelling + clarification)

#20: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

Ellejaycafe wrote:I clean my k30 every two weeks and i love how easy it is to clean. It looked like the eureka would be just as easy?

I've been doing it with every shot but since i'm using it at home volumes the extra time doesn't bother me. Up until about a week ago i wasn't doing it and i had some channeling from time to time, i was also underdosing a bit for the basket i have so i wasn't able to distribute as cleanly as i wanted with my finger. The WDT definitely increases the consistency of how the extraction looks from a naked portafilter and the shot in the cup has a great crema and less splatter. I haven't noticed a significant difference in taste but the mouthfeel is better. (I'm guessing due to more crema, more dissolved solids perhaps?)