Eureka Mignon Zero

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
staymesso

#1: Post by staymesso »

Just saw an availability email from Espresso Coffee Shop come through today that the Eureka Mignon Zero is available. Seems interesting as it is essentially a Specialita with no display timer (for obvious reasons) and now the catch cup is tilted vs the grinder being tilted to that "magic" 15°. This struck me as I remember the tilt being a big deal for the Oro Single Dose that was supposed to have been the product of research on how to reduce retention. As far as performance I imagine it will do as good as a Specialita? $340 on ECS but looks like you can get a coupon for it that probably will bring it to just sub $300. Either way much cheaper than a DF64. Wondering if the burr differences are that much better on the stock DF64? Eureka seems to now ship our grinders pretty well aligned from factory.

Word_salad

#2: Post by Word_salad »

I mean if anything this is probably similar performance to a specilita for half the price (assuming you don't mind not having the timer).

As far as single dosing goes these are pretty superficial changes to turn this into a single dose grinder. It looks like they kept the flap at the bottom of the hopper which apparently makes the bellows pretty useless as there are openings prior to the grind path, and these grinders usually need a column of beans to keep consistent feed into the burrs, I don't really see any adjustments to account for that. Also I don't get the purpose of the tilted cup/portafilter holder.

Burr wise I assume they are the standard 55mm burrs, so nothing special there

It's too bad because I really like the looks of Eureka grinders and they are a pretty reputable company, they just haven't made any real changes to their midrange grinder line up in a while

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

There are some disassembly videos on the Eureka site https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/pr ... /1/74.aspx

They're seemingly generic for the "Mignon Silent Range". The video quality was a lot better after I used the YouTube settings widget to change to 1080p.

klee11mtl

#4: Post by klee11mtl »

Aside from the angled base, it looks like they built in all the mods folks have been trying to turn their Mignons into single dosers; angled fork, dosing cup holder, on/off side activation (no activation button under chute), small hopper, bellows, etc

Personally not worth an upgrade from my 50mm Notte but considering I've spent $ on many of these after market mods, this would have been a better option for me since it's essentially the same price as a base Notte and less than the Facile. Correction: If you do a straight Euros to USD conversion it's the same price as the Facile but no indication what the real USD charge would be from EspressoCoffeeShop. Chris Coffee in Cali is selling for $499 USD.

The Eureka site lists both a Zero and a Zero Brew. Possibly a similar thing to the Notte/Crono with same guts but different burr set.

staymesso (original poster)

#5: Post by staymesso (original poster) »

Yeah. I think since they offer a coupon it would come in about $300. Which is not bad even if it just delivers Specialita performance. I'd like to see stuff on bellow efficacy. One of those grinders that if someone is looking to upgrade or move to flat from conical is a great option, but folks who already have a Specialita or one of the 50mm options wouldn't really see a performance bump.

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

I think it's important to remember that all flats aren't the same. Moving to a classic flat may well be a downgrade from a conical. I don't recall many singing the praises of the flat burrs of, for example, a Rocky. Even better burrs, such as those in the Atom 75 are reported as not very different than a Niche Zero, as an up-range example.

Lizzoob

#7: Post by Lizzoob »

I was very interested in that grinder when I first heard about it. I really like the look of the Eureka Mignons, and don't care about the electronic display. I also don't care for the look of the single dose mods on top of the standard Mignon grinders. However I bought a Niche before I read about this one, and while I appreciate the Niche (what's not to appreciate?) I can't stop thinking that the Mignon Zero one might be fun to use as well, or instead. But it seems nuts, like it would be a clear downgrade. And I don't need another grinder-- I still have my old Baratza Virtuoso for when I have guests who want to make a big pot of coffee. Is there any angle I am missing here?

bonjing

#8: Post by bonjing »

Jeff wrote:I think it's important to remember that all flats aren't the same. Moving to a classic flat may well be a downgrade from a conical. I don't recall many singing the praises of the flat burrs of, for example, a Rocky. Even better burrs, such as those in the Atom 75 are reported as not very different than a Niche Zero, as an up-range example.

Jeff, I am not familiar with the Rockys, but would this be a burr thing or a eureka thing? Could the same be said for a grinder such as an option o p64?

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

Rancilio Rocky and Gaggia MDF were popular, entry level grinders from the 90s. They used around 50 mm burrs and, especially if you removed the step mechanism, were adequate for classic espresso of the day. Moving to a Mazzer Mini or early Vario was one of the few "immediately obvious" changes in grinder I've been through.

With current grinders, they seem to fall into two categories. There are classic designs and there are contemporary designs. The former generally descended from hopper/doser designs over the years. The innards generally aren't designed for single-dosing and, for flat-burr grinders especially, often aren't designed to have good alignment on delivery.

You know there are some retired, Italian grinder craftsmen out there smoking cigars and laughing at the nuts talking about single-digit microns. However, if you've got high-performance burrs, if they wobble as they go around, you get coarser particles on the high side and finer ones on the low side. (Or the other way around, depending on which burr is your reference.)

Some newer designs, typically not from the classic grinder houses, target low retention and good alignment for single-dose enthusiasts.

Burrs are the other part of the puzzle. You can design, test, and evolve a burr to have different kinds of distribution of particle size. Classic espresso burrs, flat or conical, often have more fines than classic brew burrs. Recently there have been some new designs for burrs that work for espresso that shoot for fewer fines, as well as others trying to fill consumer demand for a silver bullet that does espresso and pour-over well. There are some from the same manufacturers that have the more classic espresso profile too. So which burr you choose makes a difference, if your coffee, gear, skills, and palate can reveal it. Lovers of classic espresso may not like the results from a 64 MP or 98 HU (the naming isn't consistent). People hoping for more clarity may not find it with a more conventional burr, even if it is SSP or another progressive supplier.

Adding to the mess is that the 64 MP / 98 HU style of burr can be very sensitive to dial in. They're not like a conical or classic flat where if you are sort of close, you still get a good cup. This goes for grind size and prep both.

bonjing

#10: Post by bonjing »

So basically there are so many variable that even with "end game" grinders you/me might not like the taste with our particular coffee, machine or even they way we draw our espressos?