Eureka Mignon XL Launched - Small Motor?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sumit_who

#1: Post by sumit_who »

Hello!

Eureka just launched the "Mignon XL" grinder under their ORO range. It boasts of 65mm diamond inside flat burrs and an ELR (extremely low retention) system. It has exactly the same form factor, looks and touch screen as that of Specialita. It's technical specs mention that the motor is 245W, and can produce 2.3-2.8g/s at 1650 RPM.

I am considering to pre-book it. But here's what I find really odd. As you progress up the eureka range to a higher burr size, the usual trend is that the motor power increases, with almost constant RPM ~ 1350. But, this Mignon XL increases the burr size from 55mm to 65 mm compared to the specialita, but the motor power decreases from 310W to 245W. I am worried that this may result in overheating and sub-optimal performance. Please advise and help me understand if this is a red flag.

Case in point:

Specialita (1350RPM - 310W - 55mm burr)

Atom (1350RPM - 450W - 60mm burr)

Atom Speciality 65 (1310RPM - 510W - 65mm burr)

Atom Speciality 75 (1400RPM - 800W - 75mm burr)

Mignon XL (1650RPM - 245W - 65mm burr)

Here is the youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiph1tI1n2Y

Advertisement
Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

It seems oddly low to me too, but my Faema has a similar rated power and has never stalled on anything.
I look at it this way:
If you're not sure that Eureka knows what they're doing, then don't buy their stuff. If you are, then by all means buy it. The numbers don't tell the story.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

skansen

#3: Post by skansen »

IMHO new Mignon XL share components with Atom 60 which is rated as follow:
Motor power 245W
Power consumption 450W.

zefkir

#4: Post by zefkir »

BTW, the burrs look like this

sumit_who (original poster)

#5: Post by sumit_who (original poster) »

skansen wrote:IMHO new Mignon XL share components with Atom 60 which is rated as follow:
Motor power 245W
Power consumption 450W.

Thanks a lot buddy! I looked up online and found that what you said is correct. All atoms (60,65,75) have same motor. RPM of 1650 is for 110V and 1350 for 230V.
Makes it clear for me, I am going to pre-book this now.

drivemusicnow

#6: Post by drivemusicnow »

Hi everyone,

I've heard that the ~official MSRP (in Europe) is € 798, but expected market price around 650, with VAT included.

I'm very curious whether this or the Niche Zero will be in stock first, and whether the Niche will have any advantages in comparison to this grinder.

sumit_who (original poster)

#7: Post by sumit_who (original poster) »

drivemusicnow wrote:
I'm very curious whether this or the Niche Zero will be in stock first
I did go ahead and pre-order it. It's expected to leave the factory in 2nd or 3rd week of December. Hopefully, I will get it by Dec end (I am based in India, and have pre-order from a local retailer). And I was told that that is the earliest it will be available worldwide.
Not sure about the niche, but since all their Dec slots are sold out, they will soon come up with their next batch for January deliveries, which should be delivered in the first half of Jan itself, going by their early delivery track record as posted by others members.

Hope this was helpful.

Advertisement
drH

#8: Post by drH »

Is it possible to get this in the US?

LindoPhotography

#9: Post by LindoPhotography »

It's coming soon to USA/Canada. This month I think.

spout

#10: Post by spout »

Is the Mignon XL or Atom Specialty 75 the pick?