Eureka Mignon XL finally available (at least in EU) - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ypuh

#41: Post by Ypuh »

Coffello wrote:I've just ordered an XL65. Are there any further thoughts or advice about the machine, including seasoning, hopper upgrades, maintenance etc. This is a big step up for me, to work with my ECM Synchronika which is also on order: I've always enjoyed coffee and now have time to develop the interest into a hobby.

Currently I have a Sage Dual Boiler and Sage grinder.
I've been using mine for 4 months now. Checked the burrs for alignment the day it arrived (since my Specialita that it replaced was way off, but this was due to the bad batch of burrs they were delivered with), but the XL didn't need any adjustment.

Been using it every day since so can't be really sure, but possibly the grinds seem to be slightly fluffier now after grinding about 5kg of coffee. Overall seasoning isn't necessary I'd say, it's plug and play.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by JB90068 »

Coffello wrote:I've just ordered an XL65. Are there any further thoughts or advice about the machine, including seasoning, hopper upgrades, maintenance etc. This is a big step up for me, to work with my ECM Synchronika which is also on order: I've always enjoyed coffee and now have time to develop the interest into a hobby.

Currently I have a Sage Dual Boiler and Sage grinder.
It will work nicely with your Sync. I have an XL that I've been using with my Sync and it does a nice job. I modified mine to single dose from the very beginning and it has low retention if you use a bellows. Just cleaned mine thoroughly today after grinding 5 lbs of beans. I pulled out only 2.7 grams of fines!

What I like:
Easy to dial in.
Small footprint on the counter.
It's quiet.
Coffee is pretty well balanced.
Don't need to do a lot of RDT.

What I don't like:
Not a fan of how small the stepless dial is. If you are switching back and forth between beans or going from espresso to pour over, changing the grind each time, isn't as precise as a stepped grinder and the workflow can be a bit more tedious.
You can't change the RPM's like on the top end grinders.
It jumps on the counter each time it starts up. Not a deal breaker though.
The mat and tamping stand look great in photos, but are flawed in practical daily use. Grounds stick to the silicone mat and have to be rinsed off if you are at all fastidious. The tamper stand is too basic especially if you are using a 58mm portafilter. I WDT each dose and found it to be unpleasant to use. If you like using a tamper stand check out the one by ECM or one like it where you can be hands free and not have to always hold the portafilter. I got rid of the mat entirely and replaced it with a small 3D printed tray.
Can't say I'm a fan of the portafilter holder since it's not hands free either, this didn't matter since I use a dosing cup.

All in all you should be very happy with the grinder for a long time, unless like me, you catch a bad case of grinderitis and decide you want to upgrade. I have a Weber EG-1 on order, but plan on keeping the XL for a while. It works well for its price point and features, I think it sits near the top of its class.
Head of lifestyle maintenance.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Ypuh

#43: Post by Ypuh »

Great review JB90068, I can totally relate!

Here's mine.

What I like:
- The grinds are pretty fine. No clumping (I do WDT for a better distribution)
- It's reasonably quick. Usually around 7.5s for 18g
- Alignment was good out of the box (compared to the Specialita is replaced which was off by a bit)
- No static or much treatment (RDT/WDT) required
- Small footprint
- Little maintenance and easy to clean

What I don't like:
- The PF holder can't be used with a bottomless PF. It needs sprouts to hold itself, so I just removed the holder just all together
- The chute clogs up slightly. Not a no-go, but not clean either
- The adjustment knob is too small/imprecise. I wouldn't suggest using this for SD if you plan on switching beans frequently, or switch between different grind settings for pour-overs etc.
- Bad batches with very minor problems (first I had a Specialita with a bad batch burrs, now a Mignon XL with screws that are too long). These aren't dealbreakers and please don't discard this model for those minor issues, they are hower slightly annoying

All in all a very capable grinder that punches above its size and price. I probably do suffer from upgraderitus as well since the Mignon XL is 'plain good' which also makes it a bit boring.

Coffello

#44: Post by Coffello »

Thank you for the replies. I'll be ok discarding the mat if it is a nuisance but I will send the grinder back if there are problems such as screws which are too long and causing inferior performance...for me that would not be acceptable. How a manufacturer could sell stuff knowing that it would malfunction is incredible.
I have enjoyed coffee for years but only recently became aware of the infinite possibilities of brew recipes and exotic beans using "prosumer" kit. I haven't got a delivery date yet for my purchases but the anticipation is building up, like a kid before Christmas!
I'll post about my early experiences of the XL65/Synchronika combo.

Coffello

#45: Post by Coffello »

Just looked up the EG-1....looks like an amazing piece of tech-art. Fantastic :D

Ypuh

#46: Post by Ypuh »

Coffello wrote:Thank you for the replies. I'll be ok discarding the mat if it is a nuisance but I will send the grinder back if there are problems such as screws which are too long and causing inferior performance...for me that would not be acceptable. How a manufacturer could sell stuff knowing that it would malfunction is incredible.
That's a bit harsh I'd say. It serves them no purpose to do this willingly. From what I understand M4x8mm is the industry standard, whilst the XL uses M4x7mm. Someone might've just ordered the wrong screws and overall it shouldn't matter, but the way the rubber is placed a minor gap appears.

I've just send an email to Eureka and received a reply 1h later stating there was a wrong batch. They'll send new screws asap, but it's not really a major issue that prevents me from using it (and getting great results).

If in doubt, buy your equipment at a local retailer and let them take care of it. I chose a webshop which saved me like €100 and don't regret it.

Coffello

#47: Post by Coffello »

@Ypuh...fair comment. Hopefully mine will be ok, and also I do hope you get your replacement screws very soon.
What will be helpful when it arrives will be having the old Sage [Breville] grinder available for coarser grinds when needed. The XL65 will be only used for espresso.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
JB90068
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by JB90068 »

Coffello wrote:Just looked up the EG-1....looks like an amazing piece of tech-art. Fantastic :D
CAREFUL :D I hope I didn't just cause you new problems. :D

I agree with everything that Ypuh said. He refined my thoughts nicely. I have had no problems with the screws and it worked great right out of the box.From what I can tell, it was a small number that they had "problems" with. At least the fix is easy. I was being very nit picky in my criticism and for me, there really aren't any deal breakers. This is a very nice grinder!

The only reason I'm upgrading is because the local micro roaster where I buy my beans from still makes better espresso than I can. I want their beans to taste the same way at home as they do when I get a coffee from them. The EG-1 profiles as well as any of their grinders so I'll remove that element from the equation. Granted they are pulling shots with a La Marzocco Strada but I should be able to get much closer without having to get rid of my Sync.
Head of lifestyle maintenance.