Eureka Mignon XL finally available (at least in EU) - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SimplifiedLife

#31: Post by SimplifiedLife »

K7 wrote:So it looks like Eureka will indeed release a "single dose" version of the XL.
Great find! I do wish they would create a single dose machine with easy/reliable grind adjustment for those who like other styles in between espresso shots. Something to beat the Niche!

K7 (original poster)

#32: Post by K7 (original poster) » replying to SimplifiedLife »

I don't know about switching between filter and espresso, but this new XL looks real slick and badass and beats the NZ handily in the style department IMO. No contest. :lol:

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
VoidedTea

#33: Post by VoidedTea »

SimplifiedLife wrote:Great find! I do wish they would create a single dose machine with easy/reliable grind adjustment for those who like other styles in between espresso shots.
Great find, indeed. I do like the leaning forward designs, which I think helps keeping the burr housing cleaner, but it looks like grind adjustment mechanism remains the same as on all other Eurekas, which I am not a big fan of. I just made my decision to go with Lagom over XL due to single dosing and seeing this new single dosing version from Eureka made me thinking again. But I think I will stick with Lagom as it still checks more boxes for me overall.

boren

#34: Post by boren »

Has anyone measured the difference in retention and exchange between the XL and the Specialita? If indeed the XL reaches NZ levels, it's worth the extra money, otherwise I'm not so sure.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by yakster »

K7 wrote:So it looks like Eureka will indeed release a "single dose" version of the XL. Not just a new hopper but also a whole new chassis that leans forward! And perhaps a matching scale to go with?

German site kaffee-netz has some images taken at a recent trade show.

Today Eureka IG also posted a teaser video about it (I think it's the same but not 100% sure). It says "..will come in the very next weeks..."
https://www.instagram.com/p/COcdY4RKmC8 ... 27os73dzxq
I like the looks over the regular XL, any price guesses?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

K7 (original poster)

#36: Post by K7 (original poster) »

Assuming the guts remain the same and the scale is only an optional accessory, I wouldn't be surprised if the price doesn't change much (or even slightly lowered) because it loses the touch screen timer panel. A lot of guessing here, though. :)

A bit surprised they didn't implement a "blow up" lid like they have for the Atom series to puff out the remaining ground coffee.

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by DamianWarS »

K7 wrote:So it looks like Eureka will indeed release a "single dose" version of the XL. Not just a new hopper but also a whole new chassis that leans forward! And perhaps a matching scale to go with?

German site kaffee-netz has some images taken at a recent trade show.

Today Eureka IG also posted a teaser video about it (I think it's the same but not 100% sure). It says "..will come in the very next weeks..."
https://www.instagram.com/p/COcdY4RKmC8 ... 27os73dzxq
looks interesting. what I see is the same grinder on some sort of angled base so it better hits the cup. I'm not so sure what makes this a single doser however it does have a circular hopper and assuming its the same diameter as the atom hopper then their new Blow Up System should fit on it and that makes it a single doser. if this new hopper has a cut out to fit the mignon then it means existing machines just need to get the hopper + Blow Up System to make it a single doser (or DIY their own)

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
stephenmsis

#38: Post by stephenmsis »

I've been using the XL65 for three months, very impressed.
Easy to dial in, produces consistent and fluffy grinds.
It's got very low retention, I sometimes use it as single dose when playing around with different beans. Tiny amount of popcorning, but it all grinds.
I have ordered a single dose hopper, but not sure it's really essential
Good heavyweight build, quiet in operation
I've stripped it down twice to clean it, that's dead easy.

I've had a Niche Zero arrive today, but not sure whether to leave it in the box and sell it, or try it. I had read Zero versus Specialita reviews and the Zero was better. I hadn't realised the XL65 is much more highly regarded than the smaller burr Mignon range.

LObin

#39: Post by LObin » replying to stephenmsis »

Whether the Niche Zero is better than the Specialita or the XL65 better than the Niche Zero is really subjective.

They are different in almost every point. It really comes down to taste imo. Whether you prefer the taste profile of conicals or flat burrs, is up to you to figure out.
Both types of burr have their own advatanges over the other.
Since it is so hard to get a Niche Zero within a normal time frame, I really don't think you would loose much value by running a few KG of coffees through it. Comparing both profiles is very educative and would help making sure you are keeping the grinder you personally prefer.
You'd need to run around 5kg to fully season your NZ burrs but taste profile and differences vs your XL65 would be quite clear even if not fully seasoned.

I say open it and compare! :wink:

*I've done it myself comparing the G-iota vs the Niche Zero.
LMWDP #592

Coffello

#40: Post by Coffello »

I've just ordered an XL65. Are there any further thoughts or advice about the machine, including seasoning, hopper upgrades, maintenance etc. This is a big step up for me, to work with my ECM Synchronika which is also on order: I've always enjoyed coffee and now have time to develop the interest into a hobby.

Currently I have a Sage Dual Boiler and Sage grinder.