Eureka Mignon Specialita Single Dosing Modification

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dak

#1: Post by dak »

Hi everyone!

After receiving a couple of requests for more details on my single dosing modifications to my Specialita, I decided to create a video describing the modifications and my workflow. I welcome any thoughts, comments or suggestions. Also, sorry that the video cuts off before the shot finished pulling. I received a phone call that cut the recording short! I hope this is helpful to Specialita owners / prospective owners who intend to single dose.

The 1st link below is for the bellows. The item was clean and free of any chemicals, dust etc. when it arrived. The rest of the setup is a piece of 1 inch (EDITED I inadvertently said 1.25" in the Video, 1" IS THE CORRECT SIZE! Link below corrected - Thanks to Scott for catching the error!) Inner diameter PVC coupling from Home Depot (2nd link) and a simple o-ring I found that matches the outer diameter of the PVC coupling. I had to cut out a small notch in the PVC with my Dremel to accommodate the part of the throat collar on the Specialita that sticks out, but that was straightforward. The setup is simple but very effective. The bellows is quite powerful and the o-ring creates a good seal with it. I have been using it now for 3 months and the retention is basically 0 but at most around .1-.2 g. This is even right after freshly cleaning / vacuuming the grinder. I am getting really good results in the cup with my Lelit Bianca. The Specialita is now preforming really well for me as a single dosing grinder. Not bad for ~$12.00 in mods!

Cheers!
Dimitri Kavalieros
Bellows
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D0 ... UTF8&psc=1

PVC coupling for the Single dose hopper
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-P ... /203811385

Bobenis

#2: Post by Bobenis »

Some nice mods for sure, might take a dip once my grinder arrives.
Cheers

DJL

#3: Post by DJL »

Great video, thanks for sharing Dimitri. Where on Amazon did you find the glass container that you're using to store your beans?

dak

#4: Post by dak » replying to DJL »

Thanks Daniel! There are different sizes. The 50ml would work for smaller doses/beans but I found the 60ml perfect for my doubles.

12units 60CC Empty Jars Glass Bottle
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C1JP3QD/re ... jEbD0Z0TT9

I use these racks for doses in my freezer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPQOMCI/re ... jEb46S3MY9

This one I keep for any vials on want by my coffee bar.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LBWH7YQ/re ... jEbM236EAP

dak

#5: Post by dak »

Bobenis wrote:Some nice mods for sure, might take a dip once my grinder arrives.
Cheers
Thanks Chris and enjoy the new grinder. I've been really happy with this setup so far.

BAOWAODAO

#6: Post by BAOWAODAO »

Awesome post, thanks for sharing. I don't even have the grinder yet but found it super helpful. Thanks again

3cordcreations

#7: Post by 3cordcreations »

dak wrote:Hi everyone!

After receiving a couple of requests for more details on my single dosing modifications to my Specialita, I decided to create a video describing the modifications and my workflow. I welcome any thoughts, comments or suggestions. Also, sorry that the video cuts off before the shot finished pulling. I received a phone call that cut the recording short! I hope this is helpful to Specialita owners / prospective owners who intend to single dose.

The 1st link below is for the bellows. The item was clean and free of any chemicals, dust etc. when it arrived. The rest of the setup is a piece of 1.25 inch Inner diameter PVC coupling from Home Depot (2nd link) and a simple o-ring I found that matches the outer diameter of the PVC coupling. I had to cut out a small notch in the PVC with my Dremel to accommodate the part of the throat collar on the Specialita that sticks out, but that was straightforward. The setup is simple but very effective. The bellows is quite powerful and the o-ring creates a good seal with it. I have been using it now for 3 months and the retention is basically 0 but at most around .1-.2 g. This is even right after freshly cleaning / vacuuming the grinder. I am getting really good results in the cup with my Lelit Bianca. The Specialita is now preforming really well for me as a single dosing grinder. Not bad for ~$12.00 in mods!

Cheers!
Dimitri Kavalieros
Well done Sir!
Thanks for sharing. I don't have a Mignon but enjoyed the video :D
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

Copresso

#8: Post by Copresso »

This mod appears to be a very bad idea; lots of mess inside for no real benefit. See the recent posts on "Eureka Atom Specialty 75 - an opinion."

jquark

#9: Post by jquark » replying to Copresso »

Thank you for this great post Dimitri; you have me almost convinced that the Specialita will be new grinder purchase. One last concern though...
Looking through that thread, the amount of grounds pushed into the rest of the grinder is unacceptable.

Dimitri, would you be willing to open up your grinder and see if there are grounds spread out within your grinder? It's possible that your o-ring seal helps to avoid this. Otherwise, there may be a view internal joints that need to be filled in order to really seal off the motor from the burrs/chute. Thank you again!

dak

#10: Post by dak »

jquark wrote:Thank you for this great post Dimitri; you have me almost convinced that the Specialita will be new grinder purchase. One last concern though...

Looking through that thread, the amount of grounds pushed into the rest of the grinder is unacceptable.

Dimitri, would you be willing to open up your grinder and see if there are grounds spread out within your grinder? It's possible that your o-ring seal helps to avoid this. Otherwise, there may be a view internal joints that need to be filled in order to really seal off the motor from the burrs/chute. Thank you again!
Thanks Jon.

Great news! It appears that the terrible looking problems with the Eureka Atom 75 Specialita and Blowup system are not present with the Mignon Specialita and my modifications. The pictures below show how the rubber collar inside the throat of the grinder extends below the top cover creating a seal with the top of the burr chamber. This seems to prevent any grinds from entering the motor housing. The inside of the casing is clean and pristine. I have never cleaned this part of the grinder, just vacuumed out the area under the top burr assembly. Needless to say I I am very happy with how the grinder is working out so far!