Eureka Mignon Specialita Single Dosing Modification - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ming-Tzu

#81: Post by Ming-Tzu »

mike1808 wrote:Thanks for the mod! I got my Specialita today and modified it right away! Few caveats:

The 1" PVC coupling is not a universal. I bought 1" couplings from my local Home Depot and the OD was 1mm bigger than fitting for the grinder. However, I got another 1" coupling from my local hardware store and it fits perfectly.

For anyone new who's trying to mod the inner diameter (ID) of the grinder is 41.8 mm. Second time I went to hardware store I brought my calipers with me to find a perfect coupling :) . Also, I got some random o-ring, it was a bit smaller but it could stretch easily. Overall, I'm very happy with this mod.
Definitely agree with this. I got the same exact PVC coupling as in the OP. Home Depot. Same SKU, price, etc. It fits the grinder but I have to push it in a little. Not sure if that's considered "fits perfect" or "snug" or if I need to get one with a slightly smaller OD

dustinmeyer

#82: Post by dustinmeyer »

I just did this mod today and it works great. I didn't have any o-rings at home that were large enough but I happened to find this o-ring kit for Kohler faucets at Home Depot. The o-rings in the kit fit the pvc like a glove and since it comes with two, you'll have a spare. Another nice bonus is that it includes a little packet of Molykote 111.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/O-Ring-Seal ... /202588898

ETA: The o-rings in this kit are rounded rather than flat, but the seal seems very good to me.

citizen5

#83: Post by citizen5 »

This is a great modification. I originally saw it on YouTube and just finished applying it to my Silenzio.

I used a different gasket I found at Home Depot similar to the flat gaskets mentioned in a previous post. Here is the URL:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-2-in- ... /203193977

I was amazed at how much retained grinds it pushed out right after I made the mod and tested it out.

Here's a photo of the gasket. I'm sure it would work just as well if you flipped it 180 degrees and installed it with the flat side up.

steelval3

#84: Post by steelval3 »

First post, just wanted to say thanks to Dimitri for the awesome post/video showing off your mod!

I've done the same setup, using your recommended bellows. With the pandemic I've stayed mostly in - so instead of heading to my hardware store, I ordered a few different PVC options off of Amazon to see which would work best. The one I found fit the best was the NIBCO C429-010 1 COUPLING (1 inch) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Thought I'd share in case anyone else was looking to order one vs. go to a hardware store.

ink124

#85: Post by ink124 »

steelval3 wrote:First post, just wanted to say thanks to Dimitri for the awesome post/video showing off your mod!

I've done the same setup, using your recommended bellows. With the pandemic I've stayed mostly in - so instead of heading to my hardware store, I ordered a few different PVC options off of Amazon to see which would work best. The one I found fit the best was the NIBCO C429-010 1 COUPLING (1 inch) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Thought I'd share in case anyone else was looking to order one vs. go to a hardware store.
I'm planning on getting the coupling you linked above, thank you! Did you also find an o-ring on Amazon? I'm in the same boat as you and would much rather order one vs. go to the hardware store.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#86: Post by walr00s »

Never really done any precision PVC cutting, only simple full pipe cuts. How did you cut out the area for the bump-out? With a standard PVC cutter or something like a mitre saw?

ojaw

#87: Post by ojaw »

I'd say saw/dremel and finish with a round file.

dak (original poster)

#88: Post by dak (original poster) »

walr00s wrote:Never really done any precision PVC cutting, only simple full pipe cuts. How did you cut out the area for the bump-out? With a standard PVC cutter or something like a mitre saw?
Dremel for me.

steelval3

#89: Post by steelval3 »

ink124 wrote:I'm planning on getting the coupling you linked above, thank you! Did you also find an o-ring on Amazon? I'm in the same boat as you and would much rather order one vs. go to the hardware store.
No I had the o-ring at home already, sorry!

steelval3

#90: Post by steelval3 »

walr00s wrote:Never really done any precision PVC cutting, only simple full pipe cuts. How did you cut out the area for the bump-out? With a standard PVC cutter or something like a mitre saw?
I used a file (didn't have a dremel), took a bit longer as a result but did the job.