Eureka Mignon Specialita Single Dosing Modification - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jquark

#11: Post by jquark »

dak wrote:
Great news! It appears that the terrible looking problems with the Eureka Atom 75 Specialita and Blowup system are not present with the Mignon Specialita and my modifications.
This is awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to take these pictures. It looks perfect! I am convinced the Specialita will be my next grinder purchase. Many thanks!

dak (original poster)

#12: Post by dak (original poster) replying to jquark »

Be sure to post a picture if you decide to add the mods. Enjoy it!

Advertisement
foam2

#13: Post by foam2 »

so i purchased the bellows in this post and it fits exactly in my ceado e37s without any kind of pvc or o-ring required. Started single dosing with it today and works great. The od of the bellows is approximately 58mm and fits snugly with the hopper removed. thanks for the idea!!!

dak (original poster)

#14: Post by dak (original poster) replying to foam2 »

Awesome news! I had hoped this would be the case as I am considering the e37s a second grinder! would love to see any pictures / videos of it in action as a single doser if you have the time to post it.

best,
Dimitri

foam2

#15: Post by foam2 »

foam2

#16: Post by foam2 »

sorry that they come up sideways... The interesting thing is once I tried single dosing there was a bigger shift finer than i expected to need compared to using the hopper. I trimmed a post it so I could mark the setting with the hopper and needed almost a full number finer to get the same extraction. Will see if the coffee is the same in the morning.

dak (original poster)

#17: Post by dak (original poster) replying to foam2 »

Looks great and thanks for posting the pics. A couple of questions.

How many grams of coffee are you able to get up to the top of the rubber collar without the hopper and do you use anything to stop beans from pop-corning out of the throat?

Also, are you noticing grounds being blown out the chute when pushing the bellows after the beans finish grinding? I.e. is the bellows helping to clear the retention out after grinding a single dose?

Advertisement
foam2

#18: Post by foam2 »

So it worked fairly well. I typically dose 23 grams and it looks like I could add another 20 grams before overfilling. I ran the grinder empty and got 22.2 grams. A couple puffs from the bellows and I got 22.9 grams out. It seals very nicely. So I'm new to single dosing but I would have to think the grind has to be more inconsistent than grinding with it in a steady state with a certain amount of coffee still in the grinder.

foam2

#19: Post by foam2 »

While grinding I put the bellows in place since I'm going to be using it anyway.

dak (original poster)

#20: Post by dak (original poster) »

foam2 wrote:So I'm new to single dosing but I would have to think the grind has to be more inconsistent than grinding with it in a steady state with a certain amount of coffee still in the grinder.
I would use the WLL trick and place a 58mm tamper in the throat while the dose is grinding, to reduce the headspace above the burrs and stop the popcorning. Then swap out the tamper for the bellows after the last beans go through the burrs to blow out the retention. This should help increase the grind consistency and reduce the grinds that end up on the walls of the throat area