Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Reefguy

#71: Post by Reefguy »

My specialita arrived today, perfect packaging,
$87.00 cdn funds for tax / includes $10 broker fee.

sidpost

#72: Post by sidpost replying to Reefguy »

Congrat! Enjoy your new grinder. :D

Still pondering my options ... Maybe two Mignons, one for espresso and one for drip/french/pour-over.

Advertisement
Radio.YYZ

#73: Post by Radio.YYZ »

Reefguy wrote:My specialita arrived today, perfect packaging,
$87.00 cdn funds for tax / includes $10 broker fee.
Congrats update us what you think.. cheers
sidpost wrote:Congrat! Enjoy your new grinder. :D

Still pondering my options ... Maybe two Mignons, one for espresso and one for drip/french/pour-over.
Ahh you meant for drip, i was assuming there was a new model with "drip" in it. The perfecto is able to switch between espresso and other types easily i saw on a video.

If it were me i would just use the mignon for espresso and whatever you currently have for drip.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

sidpost

#74: Post by sidpost »

Radio.YYZ wrote:...

Ahh you meant for drip, i was assuming there was a new model with "drip" in it. The perfecto is able to switch between espresso and other types easily i saw on a video.

If it were me i would just use the mignon for espresso and whatever you currently have for drip.
My Bunn grinder is waaayyyyy to big for me now that I'm doing coffee for just myself. I like the electronics and 55mm burrs on the Brew Pro and it would be a good match for a Specialita' on either side of my espresso machine.
:D

Radio.YYZ

#75: Post by Radio.YYZ replying to sidpost »

Brew Pro and Specialita both have 55 from what i see so they should be good! one colour for espresso another for drip! If drip grind is not that important then maybe one of the cheaper mignons would do. Another thing i notice for the Pro model the moter states its 310W instead of 260W.

sidpost

#76: Post by sidpost »

Yes, it looks to be a bit beefier. Depending on cost, it may be a better choice for me.

I'm guessing the Brew Pro probably runs a lot longer and possibly more than a single or double dose grinder hence, the need for a bit more motor to avoid premature wear and possible problems for the end user.

Radio.YYZ

#77: Post by Radio.YYZ »

sidpost wrote:Yes, it looks to be a bit beefier. Depending on cost, it may be a better choice for me.

I'm guessing the Brew Pro probably runs a lot longer and possibly more than a single or double dose grinder hench, the need for a bit more motor to avoid premature wear and possible problems for the end user.
I think a 200W motor would run cool enough the burrs would get warm before the motor gives out. If the burrs were larger then it would make sense, 260 vs 310 would be a non issue, especially since all coffee beans are around the same hardness and they don't vary too much. Both have the same rpm as well, if you were grinding 1lbs of coffee at a time then wattage/heat may come into play but otherwise i think its very negligible.

Advertisement
sidpost

#78: Post by sidpost »

I will run a larger motor on the same load anytime I can within reason. A 5HP electric motor on 3HP requirement will last forever (nearly) where a 3HP motor will eventually need a rebuild assuming normal loads and reasonable use. So, to me a modest bump in motor power is a very good thing assuming everything else is equal.

Radio.YYZ

#79: Post by Radio.YYZ replying to sidpost »

Agreed, but we don't know where they are sourcing the motors from, what kind of brushes and how big are the brushes, how well are the windings protected from the commutators and if there is epoxy to secure the wingdings or not... point being a well built 1hp motor will outlast a 5hp motor that is not put together well (given reasonable amount of load and duty cycle).

I am assuming both motors have the same supplier for the eurekas so i personally take that with a grain of salt.

sidpost

#80: Post by sidpost replying to Radio.YYZ »

Also true. My assumption as well is that the motors are sourced the same with a minor revision to improve them, not a totally different motor from a new source with an unknown history of quality.

I doubt Eureka will throw away their marketplace standing by purchasing an inferior motor to drive their grinder.

I also went through the load and duty cycle issues buying my ceiling fans. 12 or 14 degree pitch, 5 blades or 4, 48" or 52"? :D