Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Matt44

Postby Matt44 » Feb 04, 2019, 9:31 pm

Radio.YYZ wrote:Bin is $20 at clive ...

I also use the bin, purchased it along with a Specialita from Clive. It's true, it's not the most functional accessory. Pretty awkward actually. Increases static and, unlike almost every grinder bin, it's a 2-piece design which tends to interfere with the overall process. It's also narrow, not wide-mouthed, so if used for measuring out beans, it requires a steady hand.

But to be fair, I bet the bin is an after-market design from Eureka. In that light, it's adequate for what it does.

wplhs2011

Postby wplhs2011 » Feb 07, 2019, 4:30 pm

Tennantscoffee wrote:I have had a Perfetto for a few weeks now and I currently have a love/hate relationship with it.

Love
Grinds are awesome. I am constantly switching between espresso/pourover/French press depending on my mood and this thing does them all. It's very easy to dial in due to the settings on the grind adjuster so switching between styles of coffee is a breeze. It's also dead silent which is huge when my 3yr old grandson stays at my house. In this respect it is absolutely deserving of the accolades it is receiving.

Hate
I must be doing something wrong because I am absolutely having major issues with static and retention. Grinds will cover the chute when I am done and are often on the display after grinding. When I tap the chute after grinding, a considerable amount of grinds will come out. It's not as big a deal as the static issue but I expected better given the posts here.

Absolutely hate with a passion
This is a grinder that is supposed to be used for multiple types of grinds, so why am I being asked to pay $70(!!!!!) for a plastic bin to contain my coffee for pourover/french press? The bin is absolutely useless. It makes the static issue enormously worse, the bin is covered with coffee due to static and makes an absolute mess of my counter. Do not waste your money on this. I only did it because I wanted to keep things clean...both in looks and actual grind dispersion. Epic fail in both regards.

Caveat
It's currently in the dead of winter here and it *is* extremely dry so maybe I am being overly harsh on the static issue. That doesn't change my perception of the bin though...$70 for a plastic bin that should come with the grinder to begin with is shameful IMHO.

I am looking to replace my Sette 270 & Breville SGP with a Perfetto or Specialita.
I like the dial more on the Perfetto but I am afraid the espresso will be hard to dial back in. Is it indeed easy to dial in where you were with espresso after you grind for a pourover?

I don't want it to be difficult to switch between the two, just wondering if it is worth having to remember how many revolutions I do on the Specialita.
TIA!

guydebord

Postby guydebord » replying to wplhs2011 » Feb 07, 2019, 4:46 pm

I would not try moving grind settings for different brews in my Specialità, it is hyper sensitive, like micrometrical, one micrometer turn has a direct effect and that is why I love it, dialing in coffee in the Specialità is a dream, but this precision would go against the idea of changing grinds on a daily basis, I think it would be a nightmare. At the moment I use it as my dedicated espresso grinder but have tried it for French Press and Pour-Over grinds and it is fantastic, but IMO it is meant to stay for a type of brew. Once my MC3 arrives I plan to use it as my dedicated brew grinder.

I tried the Perfetto and it seems easier and more straight forward, since the adjustment turn is calibrated for larger steps, actually, it was designed for people that move between brew styles.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

wplhs2011

Postby wplhs2011 » replying to guydebord » Feb 08, 2019, 9:20 am

Thanks for the feedback! What I am afraid of is exactly what you said, if the Specialità is hyper sensitive with just a slight turn I can only imagine what the difference of a slight turn for the Perfetto is!

Did you have a trial of the Perfetto where you brewed a shot, went to a pour-over grind then back to an espresso grind? I would be sold on the Perfetto if it had the 55mm burrs, also I see some outlets saying the Specialità has a bigger motor but on Eurekas website it appears they have the same motor?

Tennantscoffee

Postby Tennantscoffee » Feb 08, 2019, 11:34 am

I cannot speak for the other Eureka grinders but I can tell you that the Perfetto is absolutely dead simple to dial back in when switching between brew methods. I use a French Press, Hario V60, Chemex 3&10 cup, Technivorm auto drip, and Lelit Mara espresso machine. It is an absolute breeze to dial back in.

wplhs2011

Postby wplhs2011 » replying to Tennantscoffee » Feb 08, 2019, 2:30 pm

SWEEETTTT!!! Are you happy with the grind quality at all grind sizes? I am leaning towards the Perfetto right now!

Mnw

Postby Mnw » Feb 10, 2019, 10:41 pm

bedejay wrote: I purchased the Specialita model for $430 shipped by purchasing direct as per another HB user.

bedejay, where did you get a Specialita for only $430?

sidpost

Postby sidpost » replying to Mnw » Feb 11, 2019, 8:39 am

Not bedejay but, look here:
https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com

Mnw

Postby Mnw » Feb 11, 2019, 10:03 am

Thanks sidpost! That's a great price, but they're in Italy. If it arrives broken or needs warranty repair, it would cost a fortune to return it to them. Anybody have experience with this?

wplhs2011

Postby wplhs2011 » Feb 11, 2019, 10:04 am

Just ordered the Perfetto from espressocoffeeshop.com. Came out to $418 delivered to my door!

I will update once I received it.