Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
equedadoii

Postby equedadoii » Dec 02, 2018, 7:05 pm

hello,

i've not seen too many reviews for the silenzio about.
can any of ya'll speak to it? i'm thinking of pairing it with the flair.

is the least expensive one i'm going to find going for $450?
i don't think i'm seeing anything quieter for the price that can do espresso. on that note, how does it do with espresso?

bedejay

Postby bedejay » Jan 03, 2019, 4:31 am

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but received my Specialita on New Years Eve and have pulled a couple shots using my Robot. I can say that it definitely is an improvement over my Encore, which is crazy loud and slow compared to this baby. I have pretty much dialed in my grind and just micro adjust if I need to. I like that I can remove the hopper without having to reset the grind setting; however, I haven't figured out a way to remove the top plate to get to the burrs. It doesn't have the top screws like videos show and am assuming I just have to pry it or something? Anyways, I haven't experienced any clumps in my range of grinding, but did experience some at finer settings that choked my Robot. I purchased the Specialita model for $430 shipped by purchasing direct as per another HB user.

SpromoSapiens

Postby SpromoSapiens » Jan 03, 2019, 3:40 pm

here's a pretty clear run-down on how to open for cleaning. You have to pop the logo off the back to access a screw there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz6KGqSFhqc

bedejay

Postby bedejay » replying to SpromoSapiens » Jan 04, 2019, 3:25 am

THANK YOU! I felt like I literally searched that on YT, but didn't find anything... Anyways, much props ;)

guydebord

Postby guydebord » Jan 05, 2019, 4:46 pm

I posted in the recent popular thread Sette Wi vs Monolith Flat a message claiming my preference of the Specialità vs the Sette Wi. After owning both, I'm convinced that the Specialità is an upgrade to the Sette Wi. The post I made there prompted a few users to PM me to inquire more about my claims, so I thought it would be helpful to make my observations public, so here are the four main reasons as to why I like the Eureka Mignon Specialità more than the Baratza Sette Wi:

1. Grind adjustment. The ease of dialing in is way and beyond the Sette! The little knob on the Eurekas is amazing, so simple and yet powerful, a micrometrical turn of it can help dial to perfection.

2. Noise and built/design. We all know how noisy the Sette is and I always found it a bit cheap overall, it does not feel solidly built, buttons are clunky, display is not the best, a lot of plastic here and there. Whereas the Mignon is the opposite, super solid built, intuitive controls (I can pause it!) and incredibly silent.

3. Grind quality and NO static. The shoot and burrs have anti-static and anti-clumping technology and works like a charm, when Im on a hurry and bypass WDT I still get 99% perfect shots on my bottomless portafilter. Grind retention is also minimal, almost the same as in the Sette.

I could have made another point regarding taste, but this is so subjective... In anyways, I like the taste of my espressos more with the Specialità, the coffee profiles come more in layers without tasting separate, all in all absolutely tasty!

After trying so many grinders in the $700-$1200 price range, I honestly think that for my use (3-5 shots of medium-light roasted coffee) this is the grinder to beat. With this said, I have not tried the Niche Zero but I will be ordering one soon and come back with a comparison.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Ferrariandcoffee

Postby Ferrariandcoffee » Jan 05, 2019, 5:06 pm

How does grind quality compare to Baratza Vario?

Radio.YYZ

Postby Radio.YYZ » Jan 06, 2019, 8:51 pm

guydebord wrote:...
3. Grind quality and NO static. The shoot and burrs have anti-static and anti-clumping technology and works like a charm, when Im on a hurry and bypass WDT I still get 99% perfect shots on my bottomless portafilter. Grind retention is also minimal, almost the same as in the Sette.

I agree with all your points, if i had to do it again i would get the eureka instead of my sette. I just clean my sette every few months and it gives great results for a while until things get collected and jammed up.

What kind of retention did you have on the sette? and what kind of retention you have on the eureka. Any amounts for comparison?
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

guydebord

Postby guydebord » Jan 12, 2019, 12:42 pm

Radio.YYZ wrote:What kind of retention did you have on the sette? and what kind of retention you have on the eureka. Any amounts for comparison?

I measured it three times so far and it oscillated from .1 to .2 grams, closer to .1, which is really good in my book. On the Sette, I got pretty much the same... perhaps a tiny less
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Radio.YYZ

Postby Radio.YYZ » Jan 13, 2019, 9:44 pm

guydebord wrote:I measured it three times so far and it oscillated from 1 to 2 grams, closer to 1, which is really good in my book. On the Sette, I got pretty much the same... perhaps a tiny less

How many shots were run before you measured the retention?
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Tony_Lotts

Postby Tony_Lotts » Jan 18, 2019, 11:02 pm

I picked up a Specialita yesterday. Here is my initial assessment, no break-in, roughly 150 grams of coffee through the grinder.

Taste
Out of the box, particle size distribution is quite good. There are very few fines, and even less boulders. The extraction appeared good, but there was a noticeably bitter after taste. Having had better out of the same beans, I wouldn't accept this on a daily basis. I tested the axial alignment using a white-board marker, and observed that it was a bit off. I aligned the burrs axially, but did not do a concentric alignment. After alignment, there was no detectable bitterness.

Build
The internal drive train is all-metal, and SOLID; which is quite good. The top of the body is chromed plastic, but I don't fault it for this price range. The hopper does come across as particularly cheap, especially as compared to a Baratza hopper. The grinder is obviously built to a cost for the home market, but the engineering, and material cost has gone into the parts that matter the most.

Retention
With RDT, retention is 0 to 0.1 gram; although there have been some outliers. As inherent to the horizontal flat-burr design, some coffee does cake up inside of the burr carrier. No surprise there. Weekly to bi-monthly cleaning should be sufficient.

In conclusion I'm mostly happy with the taste. I would like more separation, but I'll give it some time to break-in and try with different beans.