Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 22

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SKJohnson

#211: Post by SKJohnson »

aftercrasher wrote:I've been using a Perfetto for the past 3 months and say its a great little grinder. Very little grind retention, and has virtually no clumping - what a difference from my previous Rancilio Rocky.

However, perhaps some users of the Perfetto can share your experience, I grind almost exclusively for espresso, and my grind setting is all the way at 2.5-3 (at 'Turco' range according to the sticker). Although it extracts well to the time, I can't help but wonder, isn't that a tad bit too fine? - basically i'm almost at the end of the range.
I've just started using the Perfetto and have also noticed that I have to be right in the middle of the Turkish range. I think that's just the deal with this grinder. I was distressed, as I thought my unit was faulty, but I've counted 3 people in this thread that have a similar experience.

GregoryJ

#212: Post by GregoryJ »

I've recently received the Mignon Specialita. The espresso shots are great so far. I am using a medium-dark brazilian bean, and have a question on the grind adjustment.

I am grinding around 2.5 marks (~1/3 rotation) away from the burrs chirping. Is that pretty standard? I found very small changes in the adjustment wheel give relatively large changes in the grind size. On the Eureka Atom I am at ~3/4 rotation from burrs chirping for similar shots, so it gives me more than 2x precision in choosing the grind size. It's not terribly difficult, but it seems like they could have used a finer thread on the Mignon Specialita adjustment.

Advertisement
dak

#213: Post by dak replying to GregoryJ »

That sounds about right for that type of bean you describe. I pull mostly light and medium roast beans and I usually range from .5 marks from chirp for the lightest roast, blooming / double filtered Scott Rao style shot with a 3 to 1 ratio over 60-75 seconds to about 2 marks from chirp for a standard medium roast coffee. The darkest I will occasionally pull is Blue Bottle's Hayes Valley and that is usually between 2-2.5 marks from chirp depending on whether I am shooting for a 1 to 1.5 ratio or a 1 to 1 ristretto.

GregoryJ

#214: Post by GregoryJ »

Ok great, thanks!

Coastie44

#215: Post by Coastie44 »

Coastie44 wrote:I received my Specialita three weeks ago and find it to be finicky on whether it will grind at all or not. I am dosing about 9.5 sec on setting about 1.5 with medium roast beans for a shot that pulls in the right range on my Profitec machine (35-45 sec total). About every 4th time I try to grind, it just clicks and counts down. I have to adjust the setting to 4-5, then quickly change it back to my desired setting. Then it will work fine until it doesn't again. :-(

Anyone else have same problem? I sent an email to support at Seattle Coffee Gear (with no reply) on Friday to inquire about it.
Update: sent the grinder back and got a replacement. The replacement was able to easily choke my espresso machine without stalling. This one is on setting ~2.75 for my medium roast beans (vs 1.5 on the original).

So the stalling issue seems definitely to be anomalous and shouldn't occur with a well functioning grinder.

seubert

#216: Post by seubert »

EDIT: Turns out I was actually not adjusting it nearly enough! The knob was so loose that I had to turn it a few times before the burrs started moving. From there it was easy to find the true zero. I'll leave this post up in case someone else has the same issue down the line.

I just received a new Specialita today and am having trouble getting it doing much of anything near an espresso grind.

This is the first nice grinder I've had and I'm afraid I may have broken it by not realizing how slight the adjustments required are. I started an attempt to dial it in but was getting grounds too coarse from the initial setting. I then found some information that said the numbers on the dial are just relative and finding the true zero was important. I attempted to tighten the burrs but hadn't adequately cleaned the machine so it didn't accomplish much. However, now after cleaning I can't seem to get the burrs to move at all. No matter how much I turn the dial nothing seems to shift and I can spin the burrs with the middle spindle freely. Nothing seems to really change any burr settings so I'm wondering if I broke the adjustment mechanism somehow. Where the burrs are at now produces technically "ground" coffee but it's wildly inconsistent with a lot of boulders. I'm finding very little information about others having this issue, wondering if anyone has ideas about what could be wrong.

K7

#217: Post by K7 »

A screw for the top burr plate shown below is showing some thread wear. Does anyone know if it's a standard screw I can buy from hardware stores? TIA

Advertisement
thoang77

#218: Post by thoang77 »

K7 wrote:Does anyone know if it's a standard screw I can buy from hardware stores? TIA
It should just be a standard M5 or M6 (metric) x 20mm (ish?) pan head machine screw. Don't quote me on either size, since I'd have to look myself to be sure, but it should be easily replaceable. Just bring one with you and use the thread checkers to be sure

K7

#219: Post by K7 replying to thoang77 »

Thanks, Trung. It was indeed a standard pan head machine screw M4 x 10mm. 98 cents for two at Home Depot.

While I was at it, I also re-assessed the burr alignment using the marker method and am very pleased to find they are still well aligned from my initial tuning 3 months ago, knock on wood. Very happy with this grinder so far.

jaberwoky

#220: Post by jaberwoky »

Hello Everyone,
I have a question for the owners of Eureka Mignon Specialita. I've recently opened my two months old Specialita and found out that there is an etching "Brew pro" on the burrs. It does not seem right to me because I suppose "Brew pro" means brew specific design as stated here: https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/pr ... /1/24.aspx. And I bought my Specialita as I needed grinder for espresso.
So my question is, does anyone here have burrs with "Brew pro" etching on them in Specialita grinder? And if you do have such burrs are you satisfied with the ground your grinder produces for espresso?