Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Stevedropped

#171: Post by Stevedropped »

guydebord wrote:Today my Mignon Specialita won't power on anymore :cry:
This is my SO grinder and this means that she will want to fiddle with my Monolith, something Im not too happy about.

Any ideas what it could be?

I tried the basic troubleshooting stuff, including opening it up and checking if a wire got loose but nothing has worked... I tried looking for a fuse but I didn't see one, or didnt know if any of the small boxes in the circuit board was one.
Any luck getting it to work? I just ordered one a yesterday. Should be here next week.

Lev16

#172: Post by Lev16 »

Anyone have a mat they recommend that fits well underneath their Specialita?

I just picked one up from here. Trying to get it figured out. Wanted to get a mat under it to catch the random grinds.

Aside from a mat, anyone else have any techniques to avoid losing grinds? Funnel? Technique?

Thanks

alexeyga

#173: Post by alexeyga »

Just got one as a replaced to yet another failed Sette.

-This thing is chunky and feels super solid.
-Setup was non existent, I've only butchered 1 puck to get it where I wanted
-Can't really comment on taste differences vs Sette yet, not that I've noticed any...

The only thing left to do - get the Sette fixed an make it gone. Piece of rubbish!

DJL

#174: Post by DJL »

Lev16 wrote:Anyone have a mat they recommend that fits well underneath their Specialita?

I just picked one up from here. Trying to get it figured out. Wanted to get a mat under it to catch the random grinds.

Aside from a mat, anyone else have any techniques to avoid losing grinds? Funnel? Technique?

Thanks
I have my Specialita setup on stainless steel base and use as knock box. The Mignon has very little retention but in the morning to remove any stale grind from the day before I use the single shot timer set to 3 seconds. Then switch to double-shot setting. Make sure the holder fork is properly adjusted height wise for your portafilter this will avoid spillage. As I grind I stop half way to settle the grind in the basket, love the auto-resume feature.

Lev16

#175: Post by Lev16 »

Thank you for the reply, and nice setup :)

I just bought one of these: https://www.espressoparts.com/tamping-p ... parts-6-x6

I haven't received it yet, but it should do the trick. I'm also contemplating getting a funnel, but gonna wait on that for now.

ballison78

#176: Post by ballison78 »

I have owned the Specilaita for about six months now. Excellent grinder. Fast, quiet and produces a consistent, fluffy grind. Love it.

alexeyga

#177: Post by alexeyga »

Had mine for a few weeks. nothing but positive comments so far. Albeit, coming from the Sette - I did find the Mignon a tad messier... as in - "this thing is a pig". Gave me a reason to add a nice, stainless funnel to the process. And I'm finding that dosing is bit wacky. Can do a row of 18g shots only to end up with a freak 21g one... No changes to the process what so ever - same beans, same grinding time... Still can't figure out the variable. Anybody else has noticed it?

P.S. If I had to do it again - I'd probably go with the black body instead of the full-chrome one.

Lev16

#178: Post by Lev16 »

Same experience with mine. The dosing hasn't been precise, but the output is way fluffier than my old Rocky. Happy over all, but would love it to be a bit more consistent. Could single dose I suppose to fix that. I usually just weigh before pulling the shot if I'm looking for precision.

Radio.YYZ

#179: Post by Radio.YYZ »

alexeyga wrote:Had mine for a few weeks. nothing but positive comments so far. Albeit, coming from the Sette - I did find the Mignon a tad messier... as in - "this thing is a pig". Gave me a reason to add a nice, stainless funnel to the process. And I'm finding that dosing is bit wacky. Can do a row of 18g shots only to end up with a freak 21g one... No changes to the process what so ever - same beans, same grinding time... Still can't figure out the variable. Anybody else has noticed it?

P.S. If I had to do it again - I'd probably go with the black body instead of the full-chrome one.
I got a ferrari red, the colour is bang on.

I have the same issue but i have been single dosing it, i weigh pre grind and post grind, it eats up 0.1g. Overtime it should fill up all the nooks n crannies so it will become precise. After cleaning it will be the same thing.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

barNone

#180: Post by barNone »

I've had my Specialita for a year now and it continues to be a good home grinder. Visitors comment on how quiet is. I really like the size and ergonomics of it.
alexeyga wrote:Had mine for a few weeks. nothing but positive comments so far. Albeit, coming from the Sette - I did find the Mignon a tad messier... as in - "this thing is a pig". Gave me a reason to add a nice, stainless funnel to the process. And I'm finding that dosing is bit wacky. Can do a row of 18g shots only to end up with a freak 21g one... No changes to the process what so ever - same beans, same grinding time... Still can't figure out the variable. Anybody else has noticed it?
You probably need to run more beans through to season the burrs if your grinder is new, I get pretty consistent doses (+/- 0.3 g) as long as I have 'enough' beans in the hopper to weigh the beans down through the hopper's throat, otherwise I get some popcorning. I do find that the flat hopper doesn't funnel the beans into the throat well especially when the hopper is low, I jiggle the stopper flap to shake the beans through so the flow doesn't slow or stop.