Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 17

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TheGriz

#161: Post by TheGriz » May 07, 2019, 3:48 pm

redbone wrote:These appear to be OEM 55 specialita burrs.
That's interesting. Then I guess there is no such thing as brew burrs. Anyone want to open theirs up and take some pictures?

If these two units are the same including the burr housing, then you can get them on https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/mignon_brew_pro with 110V for cheaper than the Specialita shipped to the USA. I spent roughly $450 just fyi.

TheGriz

#162: Post by TheGriz » May 07, 2019, 8:22 pm

Decided to test this machine out and verify the grind settings. It grinds very coarse. Far coarser than I would like for drip. I would say it would work for the Kalita, but not something like the V60. That's disappointing.

If I had to guess, the burr carrier is what really makes it unable to go a bit finer. With some tinkering, I bet you can get to the Specialita; you could tell once I went finer, the burrs would not spin. Out of the box, the 0-3 limit not only exists on the metal limiter, but the 4 metal prongs that lock up the burrs it would seem. Guess I need to find another flat burr grinder that excels at drip or figure out how to adjust this.

Edit:
I opened it and seemed to find some lodged beans. I messed with the knob a bit and finally was able to grind fine enough. However, I think the original knob was not designed to work very well without the metal limiter in place. And let me tell you, 0-3 is next to nothing in adjustments. Think the Specialita in terms of preciseness.

JayThree

#163: Post by JayThree » May 09, 2019, 1:09 pm

What's the consensus on the Specialita vs. the Sette 270 for single dosing? Reading through this thread people seem to think the Specialita is definitely a better grinder than the Sette 270, but for single dosing I see people mentioning various problems with the Specialita (popcorning leading to an inconsistent grind, and higher retention). I'm thinking about replacing my Sette 270 with something quieter and the Specialita looks good for price vs. performance, but I exclusively single dose so I want to make sure it will work well for that. Clive Coffee specifically calls out the Specialita as a good grinder for single dosing in this article, but some of the posts in this thread are making me unsure about that.

Thanks!

Rhiiine’Spro
Supporter ♡

#164: Post by Rhiiine’Spro » May 09, 2019, 4:05 pm

JayThree wrote:What's the consensus on the Specialita vs. the Sette 270 for single dosing?
Good for a flat burr because there isn't a lot of space in the grinding chamber. It spits out what you put in it, like Clive team says, but that's slightly misleading because it's always trading you 1-2 grams from the previous dose and retaining 1-2 so it seems like you get it all out. I set the single shot timer to 0.3 seconds and purge if I feel like it. But, the Specialita excels at timed dosing and that makes the workflow so easy that I don't bother single-dosing.

Technobuyer

#165: Post by Technobuyer » May 09, 2019, 4:20 pm

JayThree wrote:What's the consensus on the Specialita vs. the Sette 270 for single dosing? Reading through this thread people seem to think the Specialita is definitely a better grinder than the Sette 270, but for single dosing I see people mentioning various problems with the Specialita (popcorning leading to an inconsistent grind, and higher retention). I'm thinking about replacing my Sette 270 with something quieter and the Specialita looks good for price vs. performance, but I exclusively single dose so I want to make sure it will work well for that. Clive Coffee specifically calls out the Specialita as a good grinder for single dosing in this article, but some of the posts in this thread are making me unsure about that.

Thanks!
I've been using mine for single dosing exclusively. I don't know how much old is being spit out. I guess it's possible, butit doesn't seem like much. I run it for 2-3 secs after grinds stop coming out, so it seems to be getting it all. If I put in 18.1g, I usually get out 18.1 +/- .1. It's accurate enough for my skill set. There is a little popcorning, but it always gets all the beans. Sometimes on gets stuck on top of the little door thingee, but a slap tap or wiggle of the door takes care of that. It's a lot more quiet than my Breville SGP. How it would compare to the 270, I don't know. I don't know how accurate the timing method is, I don't do it.

Noise level aside, the in cup flavor wasn't just earth shatteringly better than my Breville. It seems like it might not be such a quantum leap from your 270.

FightOn2013

#166: Post by FightOn2013 » Jul 08, 2019, 2:29 am

wplhs2011 wrote:That is exactly why I went Perfetto!

Also that is EXACTLY where I got mine! I ordered it Monday morning around 10 as EST and it arrived on Thursday!!! Pretty crazy how fast it arrived tbh. There are not additional costs minus the 35 euro shipping fee for shipping to the US. I have a Chase Sapphire as well (zero foreign transaction fee) and it came out to $417 shipped to my door.
Quick question - I was reading some folks having to pay additional taxes when they received the machine (but seems like they are mostly in Canada), did you have to pay anything additional other than what you paid on their website?

thanks!

cwilson

#167: Post by cwilson » replying to FightOn2013 » Jul 16, 2019, 9:19 am

I just received a Specialita from them and did not have to pay any extra taxes. Ordered on a Thursday and received the grinder the following Monday.

blzrfn

#168: Post by blzrfn » replying to cwilson » Jul 16, 2019, 6:31 pm

In my experiences with importation through a courier (though never directly through this vendor), the bill for duty and fees usually comes in the mail about a week after delivery. I'm not saying this is the case for you, just don't be shocked if you receive an invoice and make sure to edit your post if you do so others have a realistic expectation.

sidpost

#169: Post by sidpost » Jul 23, 2019, 11:14 pm

TheGriz wrote:Decided to test this machine out and verify the grind settings. It grinds very coarse. Far coarser than I would like for drip. I would say it would work for the Kalita, but not something like the V60. That's disappointing.

If I had to guess, the burr carrier is what really makes it unable to go a bit finer. With some tinkering, I bet you can get to the Specialita; you could tell once I went finer, the burrs would not spin. Out of the box, the 0-3 limit not only exists on the metal limiter, but the 4 metal prongs that lock up the burrs it would seem. Guess I need to find another flat burr grinder that excels at drip or figure out how to adjust this.

Edit:
I opened it and seemed to find some lodged beans. I messed with the knob a bit and finally was able to grind fine enough. However, I think the original knob was not designed to work very well without the metal limiter in place. And let me tell you, 0-3 is next to nothing in adjustments. Think the Specialita in terms of preciseness.
How's the Brew Pro working out now? Have you gotten it to work in a range appropriate for Drip yet? I'm assuming pour-over and French Press is just fine, correct me if I'm wrong, and the drip grind was the only issue. Did removing the lodged beans make any difference?

guydebord

#170: Post by guydebord » Aug 31, 2019, 1:23 am

Today my Mignon Specialita won't power on anymore :cry:
This is my SO grinder and this means that she will want to fiddle with my Monolith, something Im not too happy about.

Any ideas what it could be?

I tried the basic troubleshooting stuff, including opening it up and checking if a wire got loose but nothing has worked... I tried looking for a fuse but I didn't see one, or didnt know if any of the small boxes in the circuit board was one.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni