Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 14

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
5280grindz

#131: Post by 5280grindz »

Thought I'd share. Never had retention problems with the specialita (Crema Dolce, Hometown, Ontology, Leam Hammer usual suspects). Maybe 0.1-0.2g w RDT.

However, just finished off some Scarlet City Warp Drive which is a oilier and darker roast than I typically use. Opening up the grinder I found >2.5g retained/clogged (didn't weigh what I sucked out of burrs/carrier, ~ 0.5g) between the chute opening and the anti clump bars.

I should mention that I blew air into the chute with a large Giotta Rocket Air Blaster several times and it didn't dislodge things.

IMO itd be great if eureka came out with a blow up system for the mignon line. Impatiently waiting for Denis to open up preorders for the Monolith Flats.

Advertisement
slipchuck

#132: Post by slipchuck »

I am not surprised that oily beans would cause more retention

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

guydebord

#133: Post by guydebord »

^ That is the norm with any grinder and not specific to the Specialita. I still don't get how people can have a taste for oily beans :?
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

5280grindz

#134: Post by 5280grindz replying to guydebord »

I've had it for ~6 months. Never had retention problems as mentioned. Maybe 0.1-0.2g retained, many others had similar experiences.

Scarlet city warp drive would be a great blend for winter imo. I was surprised how much was retained with a darker roast.

I'm thinking I may get some iso 90 alcohol and wipe down the chute to get any remaining oils out. That may help.

caffeineme
Supporter ♡

#135: Post by caffeineme »

@ 5280grindz: I have the same problem. Tried different beans, i.e., medium, light, medium-dark.

I use the hand-palm method to force some of it out before each session, or lately, I've been using my digital thermometer to "wiggle" them out. About 3-5g each time would come out.

Just part of the workflow I guess.

5280grindz

#136: Post by 5280grindz replying to caffeineme »

I did get in touch w Eureka Marketing-Engineering and will pass along some feedback.

Tried shooting air which gets a bit out and using thermometer too which seems to knock the bulk of it out. Getting ~0.5-1.5g retained with Red Bird.

I'm going to pull out the "anti clump bar" plate which is secured with philips screw and tape over the hole. IMO the 2 "bars" are too wide so when you grind around 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 (depending on beans) and finer, the grinds are too light to flow around the bars, which causes a backup.

When I'm up around 2 on the grinder it does seem to retain much less.

I also wonder if both the hole from the burrs to the exit chute may be too small and the chute angle is too shallow.

I'm using a LWW blind shaker in my workflow which should take care if there is any clumping (haven't seen a problem).

caffeineme
Supporter ♡

#137: Post by caffeineme replying to 5280grindz »

Please post back of what you hear from Eureka and results of after removing the anti-clump bar. TIA.

Funny you should mention Red Bird, as that's the one I've been using too. Also tried a coworker "light roast", same result.

Advertisement
caffeineme
Supporter ♡

#138: Post by caffeineme »

Bought 5# of Northbound Ethiopian Light Roast per this thread:

For those that love fruit bomb natural Ethiopian...

Roast date 4/1/2019, opened it up today (4/4/2019) to try. Cleared out previous Red Bird in the chute including the anti-clump bar and its surrounding area.

Tasted great, but alas, same result with the retention at the anti-clump area. Same amount as Red Bird, so not sure if it's related to the roast, i.e., light vs medium vs dark.

marionyc

#139: Post by marionyc »

Any thoughts on leaving Mignon Specalita turned on 24/7? I'm worried about burn-out on the LCD display. There's nothing about this subject in the manual or Eureka's FAQs. thankds

caffeineme
Supporter ♡

#140: Post by caffeineme replying to marionyc »

Believe LCD doesn't have the inherent "burn-out" issue as other displays, e.g., plasma, though I could be wrong.

Curious to why you want to leave it on 24/7? Does that mean you'll leave your machine on 24/7 too?

I got a set of these from Amazon ($16):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J2 ... UTF8&psc=1

Supports up to 15A which is essential for the machine. Works great! One on grinder, the other on my machine. Have it set to two different schedules on the weekdays, i.e., morning and evening. I manually ask "Alexa" to turn it on for weekends, as sometimes I'm not at home.