Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GoHokiesGo

#111: Post by GoHokiesGo »

wplhs2011 wrote:I noticed that too, might have to try the water trick. I bought the ground bin from Clive coffee for $20 (which is worth it IMO) after seeing how messy it got trying to grind into a filter lol.

Where are you at with the espresso grind? I am around 3-2.5 in the Turkish region now which I feel doesn't give me much more headroom as the beans age!
I think we were chatting on the Reddit thread too, haha.

I tried a few drops of water this morning and it worked perfect to grind into my drip filter basket, no scattered grounds and very clean and easy. Problem solved!

I'm using Stumptown hairbender beans right now, and I'm getting good shots right around 3.75 Turkish, basically the last line between the end of Turkish and start of espresso zones.

It is working very well being able to switch back and forth with ease

caffeineme
Supporter ♡

#112: Post by caffeineme »

Hi all,

Been using the Specialita for about a week now. Probably went through 2 pounds of beans (mostly just to test out my new Mara).

Noticed yesterday that when single dosing 18g, only 15g would come out. Started hitting the top of the hopper and side of the grinder to loosen them up, but probably .1-.2g would come out. Didn't think anything of it, and started my pull.

Today, I opened up the back and popped 3 screws off the burrs and noticed that quite a lot of grinds were stuck between a metal frame with a 'Z' pattern. Guessing it's to break up clumps. Must have been like 3-5 gram total (possibly more as this is the first time I opened her up), though I didn't weigh it.

Anyone else getting this? Is this related to static? I didn't do any 'water' spray method (can't recall the name) as I've read on here.

PS, did another grind measuring 18g and got about 16g. Also saw a bunch of grind stuck between the 'Z' of the output shoot. Tried a different method of taking out the plastic hopper and 'cupping' my hand to force out some more grinds. This sort of worked, but not really. Finally used a can of air to blow out the rest.

wplhs2011

#113: Post by wplhs2011 »

GoHokiesGo wrote:I think we were chatting on the Reddit thread too, haha.

I tried a few drops of water this morning and it worked perfect to grind into my drip filter basket, no scattered grounds and very clean and easy. Problem solved!

I'm using Stumptown hairbender beans right now, and I'm getting good shots right around 3.75 Turkish, basically the last line between the end of Turkish and start of espresso zones.

It is working very well being able to switch back and forth with ease
More thank likely we were talking on Reddit too lol!

Awesome, I will be sure to do that this weekend when I decide to do a pour-over and drip. Where have you been dialing it for drip? Have not used it much for brew coffee!

I ended up being around a 3 for week old roasted coffee last night which isn't bad!

mochamachineguy

#114: Post by mochamachineguy »

I'm interested in buying one of the Mignon models to use primarily as a single doser and wondered if anyone has used the "Blow Up" hopper yet? Seems like this would be an effective way to deal with grinds retention, although perhaps a little pricey.

myso

#115: Post by myso replying to mochamachineguy »

Eureka unfortunately didn't offer blow-up hopper for mignon models.

nodrac

#116: Post by nodrac »

2 days ago i bought lelit bianca. I have mazzer mini grinder with doser for 7 years and changed burrs 5 months ago. But my problem with mazzer mini size, doser and coffee static. Do you suggest to change mazzer mini with mignon specialita?

LC

#117: Post by LC »

petran wrote:Hi all!
I am a bit hesitant between the Mignon speciality and the Olympus 75E (+mythos burrs). Obviously the Olympus is better in spec., but does it really worth the almost double amount of money for home use? I am mainly drinking espresso and in average i prepare 3-4 double shots per day by using different roastings. The questions come down mainly to whether it will improve the quality of the extractions in a level to justify the extra money. Another question is about the difference between the ATOM 75 and Olympus 75E. As far as i understood from reading the forum, there are not so significant differences between them, with the Olympus to be a bit louder? The reasson i am asking is that price wise, the ATOM 75 (steel burrs) costs basically the same as the olympus 75E with mythos burrs and it feels that is a better choice. thanks a lot..
Not sure if you found your answers yet. With the bigger models you get a more powerful motor etc. I am on the opposite side: I have a Olympus at home which works great for me, and I'm looking at the Mignon for the office. Would I get satisfactory results with a motor that has roughly 1/3 of the power, smaller burrs and so on? I would expect the Olympus to be better but I haven't seen a direct comparison between them. I would expect the new Atom and Mythos to have smaller differences for single dosing than coming from the Mignon though.

In my searches I found that the Mignon (manuale or Silenzio) is in the same ballpark as good manual grinders - the Manuale would actually be cheaper for me than an OE Pharos. I would be interested to know how do they compare but I haven't found yet any distribution charts for the Mignon. Any opinions?

oghurd

#118: Post by oghurd »

Just re-visiting pricing at espressocoffeeshop.com and noticed the pricing on the Specialita now has TWO versions of the 110 volt model (changed from a couple weeks ago):

110 volt (+30.50euros) and 110 volt (USA Customers) (+275.72 euros)

If I am interpreting this correctly, this seems to negate any price advantage over purchasing domestically.

Thoughts?

kwk1

#119: Post by kwk1 replying to oghurd »

Yeah, sounds like if you live in the USA you are SOL.
Seems like us Canadians are still in on the good deal.

GoHokiesGo

#120: Post by GoHokiesGo »

oghurd wrote:Just re-visiting pricing at espressocoffeeshop.com and noticed the pricing on the Specialita now has TWO versions of the 110 volt model (changed from a couple weeks ago):

110 volt (+30.50euros) and 110 volt (USA Customers) (+275.72 euros)

If I am interpreting this correctly, this seems to negate any price advantage over purchasing domestically.

Thoughts?
I'd send them a message to ask the difference. I bought my Perfetto just a few weeks ago, and I got the 110 volt version; they didn't have the option for a "110v USA" version, but the regular 110v was the correct plug and no issues. Worst case maybe you just need to buy a $5 plug adapter if it's a different style plug, but I have a hard time believing that suddenly changed.