Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
petran

#101: Post by petran »

Hi all!
I am a bit hesitant between the Mignon speciality and the Olympus 75E (+mythos burrs). Obviously the Olympus is better in spec., but does it really worth the almost double amount of money for home use? I am mainly drinking espresso and in average i prepare 3-4 double shots per day by using different roastings. The questions come down mainly to whether it will improve the quality of the extractions in a level to justify the extra money. Another question is about the difference between the ATOM 75 and Olympus 75E. As far as i understood from reading the forum, there are not so significant differences between them, with the Olympus to be a bit louder? The reasson i am asking is that price wise, the ATOM 75 (steel burrs) costs basically the same as the olympus 75E with mythos burrs and it feels that is a better choice. thanks a lot..

GoHokiesGo

#102: Post by GoHokiesGo »

First post on the site, but have been lurking a few years off and on to learn. Lots of great info!

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these Eureka grinders for my home, but I was wondering how the micrometer grind size adjustment works. I'm mainly looking to use it for espresso, but I'd like to use it for drip coffee also (if feasible). Does the knob make one turn or is it multiple turns for all its adjustment range. Example, going from espresso to drip grinds- would I turn it a three-quarter turn to adjust, or are we talking I'd need to count 5-1/2 turns to adjust? Moving the knob a half turn wouldn't be too hard, but moving it five turns and dialing back in to the same spot might be tough.

Is it the same for all grinders in the Mignon range? It looks like the perfetto knob is labelled for different grinds, which would be easier to adjust back and forth to the same shoots; while the silenzio doesn't have any markings other than more coarse or fine.

TL;dr- can you adjust back and forth for different grinds types if you count turns, or is this a bad choice for more than one grind style once dialed in?

Thanks!

wplhs2011

#103: Post by wplhs2011 replying to GoHokiesGo »

With the Silenzio and Specialita it will be multiple revolutions to get from espresso to drip (I saw somewhere online it was around 6). I thought long and hard on whether to go with the Specialita or Perfetto but ended up going with the Perfetto as I was sold on having the single revolution knob for all coffee types.

Do I wish it was easier to hone in the espresso part sometimes? Yes, but being able to switch from espresso to drip with relative ease is worth the smaller burrs and less precision to me! Haven't got into the nitty gritty with my V60 yet but drip and espresso have been great!

GoHokiesGo

#104: Post by GoHokiesGo replying to wplhs2011 »

Awesome, thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for, and it sounds like I'll be leaning towards the Perfetto for the same reasons.

Have you all ordered from Espresso Coffee Shop before? I've seen them mentioned a few times in here and their price seems like a significant savings. But are int'l shipping costs crazy to the US? Hard to search reviews on the forums since the name is so generic.

Reefguy

#105: Post by Reefguy »

ive had about 2 weeks with the Specialita, pros, great size, very quiet, I am happy with results in the cup, cons, a little messy, little amount of grind retention, and dialing between coffees can a pain, im coming off a very old Mazzer that was paired with a dual group Cimbali, the Mignon is now paired with a Vetrano, overall im very happy with it, and the price I got for ordering direct from Italy saved me quite a bit. I was also looking at Atom and 65.

bas

#106: Post by bas »

little messy, little amount of grind retention, and dialing between coffees can a pain
Messy? Just use a funnel
Grind retention? Very low for a GOD...
Dialing in? I really like the Eureka grind setting and dislike the Mazzer way. Personal.

wplhs2011

#107: Post by wplhs2011 »

GoHokiesGo wrote:Awesome, thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for, and it sounds like I'll be leaning towards the Perfetto for the same reasons.

Have you all ordered from Espresso Coffee Shop before? I've seen them mentioned a few times in here and their price seems like a significant savings. But are int'l shipping costs crazy to the US? Hard to search reviews on the forums since the name is so generic.
That is exactly why I went Perfetto!

Also that is EXACTLY where I got mine! I ordered it Monday morning around 10 as EST and it arrived on Thursday!!! Pretty crazy how fast it arrived tbh. There are not additional costs minus the 35 euro shipping fee for shipping to the US. I have a Chase Sapphire as well (zero foreign transaction fee) and it came out to $417 shipped to my door.

GoHokiesGo

#108: Post by GoHokiesGo replying to wplhs2011 »

Same deal on the pricing still, which is way better than US prices. Ordered Tuesday, shipped from Italy Wednesday, and UPS tracking says it's out for delivery now - pretty amazing! That's about as fast as the Amazon prime delivery (+1 day) for the beans I ordered.

Edit- it arrived by lunch time, awesome

GoHokiesGo

#109: Post by GoHokiesGo »

The Perfetto is great so far for espresso, I think I have it dialed in nicely after making several shots over the weekend.

This morning however was the first time trying a coarse grind for drip coffee. I think the longer grind time cause a bunch of static build up, and the grinds kind of went all over. How do you all deal with static with these machines? Does a spritz of water work to keep it under control?

wplhs2011

#110: Post by wplhs2011 replying to GoHokiesGo »

I noticed that too, might have to try the water trick. I bought the ground bin from Clive coffee for $20 (which is worth it IMO) after seeing how messy it got trying to grind into a filter lol.

Where are you at with the espresso grind? I am around 3-2.5 in the Turkish region now which I feel doesn't give me much more headroom as the beans age!