Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
alexeyga

#11: Post by alexeyga »

Beauv64 wrote: 18g dose in about 9-10 seconds, medium roast. Sette was around 4 seconds.
Hmmmmm - I think that I need to play with scales as I'm on 6.5-7.25secs to fill the 18gr VST... Either I'm updosing by a truckload - which - I was told - is really hard with VST-s, or one of our Sette-s is driving like an old fart or the other one was on steroids... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the review though, I saw these newer Eurekas on display in Mali when I was shopping for my current grinder, but they were't for sale yet - so I went with the Sette.

alexeyga

#12: Post by alexeyga »

I've checked with scales earlier this evening, my Sette with the current blend spits out 19g in 7secs, so yours definitely was on steroids! :mrgreen:

Glad to hear that you can actually pause and resume the new Mignon. That was my routine with the Sette lately - really helps to keep the mess down.

Cheers!

Beauv64

#13: Post by Beauv64 »

When did you buy your Sette? I remember reading somewhere that they made improvements towards the motor/gearbox so that it ran slower. Dont know if its actually true... one thing is for sure, Baratza has had problems with the early shipments.

When I got my Sette back (new motor/gearbox assembly) there was no change in grind speed. The unit was still on steroids!

Anyways, lets hope I find comfort with the Specialita.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by baristainzmking »

Beauv64 wrote:It's been 3 days since I got the Specialita, its sitting next to an Appartamento. I decided to sell my 6 months old Sette 270 after I had the motor replaced. The Sette gave incredible results, was super easy to use and dial in, I was just afraid the thing would die on me again after the warranty period.

Initial thoughts of the ES are pretty favorable. First thing you'll notice is how quiet this grinder is. Night and day compared with the Sette. The Eureka also just feels like a more robust machine. I'm still dialing in, the micro adjustement is easy to use, cant say much about grind retention as I dont single dose. From what I hear, its pretty minimal. Small amount of clumping, hope this will go away after a couple pounds but like the Sette, you can pause it to settle the grinds and resume. No mess on the counter, grinds fall cleanly in my PF. 18g dose in about 9-10 seconds, medium roast. Sette was around 4 seconds.

One complaint, that Specialita sticker is awful. I'll probably take it off.

It's only been 3 days, I know... But so far I'm quite happy with the Mignon. I'll write more in a few weeks.

<image>
Thanks for the information. It sure is a nice looking grinder. I do agree that the sticker has to go. ;)

I love my Sette 270wi. It is so easy to dial in, really low retention and a breeze to take apart and clean. But the noise!!!!
If Specialita has low retention, easy to dial in and clean.....might be very tempting...
Julia

slipchuck

#15: Post by slipchuck »

Beauv64 wrote:It's been 3 days since I got the Specialita, its sitting next to an Appartamento. I decided to sell my 6 months old Sette 270 after I had the motor replaced. The Sette gave incredible results, was super easy to use and dial in, I was just afraid the thing would die on me again after the warranty period.

Initial thoughts of the ES are pretty favorable. First thing you'll notice is how quiet this grinder is. Night and day compared with the Sette. The Eureka also just feels like a more robust machine. I'm still dialing in, the micro adjustement is easy to use, cant say much about grind retention as I dont single dose. From what I hear, its pretty minimal. Small amount of clumping, hope this will go away after a couple pounds but like the Sette, you can pause it to settle the grinds and resume. No mess on the counter, grinds fall cleanly in my PF. 18g dose in about 9-10 seconds, medium roast. Sette was around 4 seconds.

One complaint, that Specialita sticker is awful. I'll probably take it off.

It's only been 3 days, I know... But so far I'm quite happy with the Mignon. I'll write more in a few weeks.

<image>
<image>
<image>
It is definitely a good looking grinder for the money. Any idea about the burr life?

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Beauv64

#16: Post by Beauv64 »

Manual indicates ~ 250kg

Moragarista

#17: Post by Moragarista »

Hi. New to the forum. 1st time poster. Thinking about a mignon or atom to replace a baratza forte, which has been my daily driver for the past 4 years. My main use is for espresso, so don't need the range of the forte. Primary motive is to get something quiet. Is the atom worth the incremental $200 from the specialita?

Beauv64

#18: Post by Beauv64 »

I was looking to buy the Atom before I saw those new Mignons.

Atom has 60mm with 450W motor / Specialita has 55mm with 260W motor. Bean hopper is bigger on Atom (510g vs 300g).

RPM is the same for both units @1350. A few bells and whistles on the Atom (light near the chute, grinds bin)

I dont regret buying the Mignon. Small footprint and a whole lot of grinder for the price. For home use, pulling 5-6 shots daily, I would greatly recommend it. Spend that 200$ somewhere else.

My two cents.

bas

#19: Post by bas »

Hi. New to the forum. 1st time poster. Thinking about a mignon or atom to replace a baratza forte, which has been my daily driver for the past 4 years. My main use is for espresso, so don't need the range of the forte. Primary motive is to get something quiet. Is the atom worth the incremental $200 from the specialita?
Atom is more quiet than Specialita!

Forte is not a very noisy grinder so if you want something more silent go for the Atom.

But know it is bigger, has a more retention and grind quality is not better compared to your Forte!

So keeping the Forte is an option. I assume you have the ceramic burrs? Best choice if you use it for espresso only.

By the way what do you mean with "I do not need that range?"

If you also want better grind quality go for the Atom 75E!

Moragarista

#20: Post by Moragarista replying to bas »

Yea, I have the ceramic Forte. Re range, I just mean that I'm not taking advantage of the versatility of the Forte, as I'm really only grinding espresso. Re noise, it does tend to wake up my house in the morning when I grind, and vids I've seen of the eurekas do seem significantly quieter. Thx!