Eureka Helios 80 - manufacturer defect

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HedonisticBeans

#1: Post by HedonisticBeans »

The Eureka Helios 80 and 65 (from what I've seen on a youtube review) have faulty clump crushers.

The clump crusher is made of this flimsy material that bends like a speaker wire.
The coffee coming out the chute is pushing/bending the clump crusher away and upwards.

I picked up my Helios 80 in November and noticed it would blow out chunks rather than clumps.
I contacted the seller who said I need to give it some time to break in.
I went through a whole kilogram (two lbs) and it was still blowing out chunks.
By mid December the chunks now had a rectangular shape - exactly like the shape of the chute!

Contacted the seller again who clearly didnt want to deal with it- despite seeing photographs and videos.

A lot of people said I was using the grinder as a single doser and it wasn't designed for that. So I poured in a kilogram of beans and out came chunks.
So it wasn't a dosing-method issue.

I came to the conclusion that my machine had no clump crusher.

Turns out I was right.
I had the seller technician team open the machine and we found that it did have one but the material was so flimsy that it was completely bent upwards and out of the way. This was in early January.
Then bent it back downwards and re-installed it.
First dose was fine. After the second dose, it bent upwards again.

They contacted Eureka in Italy. Eureka said they were aware and had a fix very soon.
A week they said.
A week turned into a month.
A month turned into two months.
Two months turned into three months.

I returned the grinder last week for a full refund.

In month two (February) I was able to get in touch with Eureka Italy - the same guy who my seller was corresponding with on the issue.

He said development failures happen and they're working on a new mold.

This is what they were saying since January.
A little aggravated by them first denying an issue and then endless delays and not even suggesting how they'd make things all good at the end.
Considering I've been struggling and suffering by having to break my grind process into three, purchase a re-distributor, get splashes and sprays all over my machine. When I asked, they said later. Lets first fix the issue.

I know a few people on forums don't have clump/chunk issues.
But Eureka did admit a defect.
Also, keep in mind, my top lid is a screw on and not magnet.
So they did make a change and maybe during the change, the flimsy clump crusher appeared?

The problem is, even with a needle re-distributor, the coffee came splashing and spraying out my naked portafilter.
I mean I would spend a solid minute re-distributing.
In fact, I would grind a little, use the needle re-distributor to break up the chunks, grind and break, finally grind and break.
Still. The coffee would spritz and spray out the portafilter and I'd get coffee all over my machine, the drain bottom, my coffee table.

I've attached a video as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxsj8vEdX0

Another thing I noticed on Youtube is that virtually no one shows close-ups of the grounds.

In fact, in the whole latte love "Review", it even appears that he breaks away the clumps :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-NNr_6bxs

And the Seattle Coffee Gear review makes note of the clumps but suggests its because the burrs are new:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuvx__HU_dg

Then again:

And again:

And again:

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by blondica73 »

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I appreciate your write up. It sure made me pause on grabbing the Helios 80 grinder, but wait until Eureka fixes them.

Stinndler

#3: Post by Stinndler »

That's too bad, I was looking at those because Eureka is such a good name. Sorry to hear about the hassles!

HedonisticBeans (original poster)

#4: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

Thank you.
It is sad because is a big brand name and the Helios grinder was fast and not too loud.
But its unfortunate the way they handled the situation as well.

pwhinson

#5: Post by pwhinson »

Thanks for sharing this thorough write up. I was in the market for a new grinder about a month ago and came close to going with a Helios but couldn't find the 80 models anywhere at the time and didn't want to go with the Helios 65. I ended up buying a Eureka Atom 75. This replaces a faulty Ceado grinder WLL sold me. I have to say I'm glad I didn't go with the Helios -- I noticed the same clumping in the videos you did, and I read some end user reports of this same issue with this grinder. I loved the interface and electronics and build/design of the Helios but was probably a good decision that I didn't go down that path. The Eureka Atom 75 produces incredibly beautiful fluffy clump free grinds for me. Very little puck prep is required. I know in going with the Ceado and looking and obsessing about what would be the best choice and obsessing over the single dosing thing I overlooked what is really an incredible performer in the Atom 75. It blows away the Ceado in every respect. It also frustrates the hell out of me when companies and retailers fail to acknowledge problems or force you to engage in endless conversation around the issue rather than treating the issue head on. If I were WLL I would stop selling the Helios models until this issue is resolved. But I doubt they'll do that.

topman118

#6: Post by topman118 »

Which Ceado are you talking about?

jevenator

#7: Post by jevenator »

Looks like you have to grind to flour and that's why it clumps like crazy as well. I wonder why you have to grind so fine?

Some intense WDT should fix it with thin needles though.

Paul_Pratt

#8: Post by Paul_Pratt »

That is an incredibly fine grind, I think any grinder would struggle with that.

Giampiero

#9: Post by Giampiero »

HedonisticBeans wrote:Thank you.
It is sad because is a big brand name and the Helios grinder was fast and not too loud.
But its unfortunate the way they handled the situation as well.
Can you post a video while you brew espresso with such grinds setting...i bet the machine get choke or your coffee is in a very stale condition.

HedonisticBeans (original poster)

#10: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

pwhinson wrote:Thanks for sharing this thorough write up. I was in the market for a new grinder about a month ago and came close to going with a Helios but couldn't find the 80 models anywhere at the time and didn't want to go with the Helios 65. I ended up buying a Eureka Atom 75. This replaces a faulty Ceado grinder WLL sold me. I have to say I'm glad I didn't go with the Helios -- I noticed the same clumping in the videos you did, and I read some end user reports of this same issue with this grinder. I loved the interface and electronics and build/design of the Helios but was probably a good decision that I didn't go down that path. The Eureka Atom 75 produces incredibly beautiful fluffy clump free grinds for me. Very little puck prep is required. I know in going with the Ceado and looking and obsessing about what would be the best choice and obsessing over the single dosing thing I overlooked what is really an incredible performer in the Atom 75. It blows away the Ceado in every respect. It also frustrates the hell out of me when companies and retailers fail to acknowledge problems or force you to engage in endless conversation around the issue rather than treating the issue head on. If I were WLL I would stop selling the Helios models until this issue is resolved. But I doubt they'll do that.
Yes they made it difficult to acknowledge my problem.