Eureka Helios 80 - manufacturer defect - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HedonisticBeans (original poster)

#21: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

buckersss wrote:I take it this hasn't been rectified yet by eureka? I was going to buy a helios 65, but can't bring myself to buy based on the issues plaguing the helios 80. I imagine they are the same.
I don't think so.
Because all the regular youtube reviewers have remained silent on the Helios series.

#22: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

buckersss wrote:thanks a lot! so if I were to grab the helios and it had some clumping, you think Id be able to install the same clump crusher from the atom? ty
First of all, would it fit?

Secondly, how can you be sure the replacement crusher is not made from the same weak/flimsy metal on the standard Helios?
Thirdly, should you really be needing to do this after spending $1000+?

#23: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

buckersss wrote:ty, will do. I had spoken to my local dealer about it. all they said is "oh you know there are people out there that can find something to complain about every grinder" and they wouldn't say anymore.

definite sounds like they backtracked. although not gonna lie, would love to know if you can put ditting sweet lab burrs in the helios 80
Show your local dealer my images/videos.
Maybe they cannot visualize what it means when we say clumping.

The clumps looks like rectangular ice from an ice tray.
I could use a protractor and get a sharp 90 degree angle. :lol:

Peter Venkman

#24: Post by Peter Venkman »

When i was surfing the web to have a better idea for the Helios 65, i found this thread. To me, the helios was love at first sight... i know there is many more options but hey ! i decided to order it anyways. I haven't taken it appart yet, but so far, no clumps at all in my grind. I pull 1:2 from 18G in 28 secs, so pretty fine. I tried different beans already, dark, med, light... i have no clumps. The chute however does some retention, so i decided to remove it completely. I also went for the small hopper, i think it's the 300 gr hopper from the Zenith. I had to shave a little plastic to make it fit, but it works perfectly. I bypassed the stupid micro switch.

Anyways, since this thread made me really hesitant to purchase it, and now that i've used it for a while, i must say i'm really pleased with it. And i absolutely love the look of it standing tall in my kitchen with the nice Eureka logo behind it ! Call me stupid, but the look is really nice !

I'm sorry you had problems with yours. Hopefully mine will stay clumps free, but since i WDT, it wouldn't be a deal breaker but for sure i will let you guys know if it happens.

#25: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

I'm glad you didn't have the manufacturer flaws I had.
Out of curiosity, when did you purchase it?
Is there a production date stamped on it?
Because I remember Eureka was saying they planned to release a rectified model in March.

Peter Venkman

#26: Post by Peter Venkman replying to HedonisticBeans »

Just a little over a month ago. I'm planning on opening it up over the week end. You can make sure i will post again here with my findings / pictures and the date if i can find it. My feeling is that this unit is gen 1. The retailer i bought it from doesn't have any reviews for it. I'll keep you posted.

#27: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

For sake of brevity.

There's a thin clump crusher right at where the chamber meets the chute.
My clump crusher was pushed outwards and upwards - essentially leaving the unit without a crusher.

Take a look at it. It should be 100% vertical and not slanted towards the chute.

Ypuh

#28: Post by Ypuh »

All Eureka's I've had so far (Specialita, Mignon XL) have had minor issues. No surprise that the brand-new Helios has some as well.

I wouldn't discount the brand. They offer by far the best performance-to-price ratio and the overall quality of their products is good. They are however a 'Made in Italy' brand that has its quirks. Some call it passion, others call it lack of quality control. I'm in the camp that as long as it's fixable, I'm willing to give it a try and so far haven't been disappointed.
Peter Venkman wrote:When i was surfing the web to have a better idea for the Helios 65, i found this thread. To me, the helios was love at first sight...
Yours looks great in white! At first I though it would be too big, but in all fairness that has a certain charm.
I don't want a Decent

Peter Venkman

#29: Post by Peter Venkman »

HedonisticBeans wrote:For sake of brevity.

There's a thin clump crusher right at where the chamber meets the chute.
My clump crusher was pushed outwards and upwards - essentially leaving the unit without a crusher.

Take a look at it. It should be 100% vertical and not slanted towards the chute.
Yes, i know the problem you had. I saw the pictures and the videos as well... i know what to look for ! I'll take that time to align the burrs and zero it too. Cheers !

Peter Venkman

#30: Post by Peter Venkman »

Sorry for the delay. I was finally able to take the time and get around with my Helios 65 Disassembly.

It's a dream to take appart. Nicely done, easy to remove everything, i basically was able to get it naked with i think removing only something like 7 or 8 screws.

For the Clump part, my piece was still perfectly straight. It does sit at an angle, but the piece itself is straight.

It's also well made cause there is no way you can put it in the incorrect direction.

Here is the pic it took of mine after cleaning. If it's worth noting, i still have a nice and fluffy coffee out of the grinder. No clumps. I'm still very happy with it. The part that surprised me, is that the " clump buster " part is plastic and not metallic. I don't know if it has something to do with static, but this grinder never gave me static problems ( dark, medium dark, light, i've tried a lot so far )