Eureka Helios 80 - manufacturer defect - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HedonisticBeans (original poster)

#11: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

jevenator wrote:Looks like you have to grind to flour and that's why it clumps like crazy as well. I wonder why you have to grind so fine?

Some intense WDT should fix it with thin needles though.
It clumps because there is no clump crusher.
The clump crusher is faulty and Eureka acknowledged this.
The clump crusher moves out of the way and essentially becomes non-existent.

I have to grind this fine to extract 30g of coffee from a 20g grind in 28 to 32 seconds.

We tried this at the shop with their slayer machine and it was the same grind fineness.

HedonisticBeans (original poster)

#12: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) »

Giampiero wrote:Can you post a video while you brew espresso with such grinds setting...i bet the machine get choke or your coffee is in a very stale condition.
I posted a video in my original post.

My coffee machine doesn't choke.

I don't have one single bean. I use approximately 250 grams a week - a kilogram a month.
I always buy four different coffee types a month and from different roasters.
Nothing is stale.

I am back to my Baratza 270 Wi now and its working fine.

Advertisement
buckersss
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by buckersss »

I take it this hasn't been rectified yet by eureka? I was going to buy a helios 65, but can't bring myself to buy based on the issues plaguing the helios 80. I imagine they are the same.

LewBK

#14: Post by LewBK »

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by buckersss replying to LewBK »

thanks a lot! so if I were to grab the helios and it had some clumping, you think Id be able to install the same clump crusher from the atom? ty

LewBK

#16: Post by LewBK »

Unfortunately I can't be sure as I've not used a Helios, but I would say that in a number of grinders by the same maker such as Eureka the grind chute is a standardized one and one would think the clump crusher would be too. The only way to be sure I would think though is to write Eureka an email and ask them directly if this clump crusher works.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by buckersss replying to LewBK »

ty I did that and they didn't respond

Advertisement
GeorgeP922

#18: Post by GeorgeP922 »

Was just on Eureka site and they now have a 75mm Helios. Pretty hillarious. To me that says that the 75 burr set used in the Atom, Olympus and Mythos must be better.
OR
The engineers at Eureka are still super duper convinced that you need 20 amps to run a grinder.
(Not sure of the rest of the world but in USA they made the grinder 20 amp when most homes have 15 amp outlets, many dual boiler espresso machines are 20 amp, but they need it, grinders do not).

LewBK

#19: Post by LewBK »

Since Eureka won't reply, why not contact Bella Barista which sells the clump crusher? They sell both the Helios 80 and the Atom so they probably would be able to figure out whether that clump crusher fits. Here are their various contact infos: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/contact-bella-barista

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by buckersss »

LewBK wrote:Since Eureka won't reply, why not contact Bella Barista which sells the clump crusher? They sell both the Helios 80 and the Atom so they probably would be able to figure out whether that clump crusher fits. Here are their various contact infos: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/contact-bella-barista
ty, will do. I had spoken to my local dealer about it. all they said is "oh you know there are people out there that can find something to complain about every grinder" and they wouldn't say anymore.

GeorgeP922 wrote:Was just on Eureka site and they now have a 75mm Helios. Pretty hillarious. To me that says that the 75 burr set used in the Atom, Olympus and Mythos must be better.
definite sounds like they backtracked. although not gonna lie, would love to know if you can put ditting sweet lab burrs in the helios 80