Eureka Drogheria MCD4 85 - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kran (original poster)

#11: Post by Kran (original poster) »

jgood wrote: Is it reasonable to dose directly into a portafilter or is a container needed?
And the "gasket" is just keeping the OE funnel thing stable? So I could use something like the rubber cut down from an old Nespresso fake steamer - pix attached ?
I use a container, no experience with using a portafilter. Probably doable but i'm kind of clumsy in the AM so probably not the best idea for me personally.

You're better off using some rounds of electrical tape instead of the nespresso part. It's just to keep the OE mini hopper snug and from rattling around.
bryantb wrote:What kind of burrs are the 85mm? Is this an EK43 style or are these basically the same as their zenith and atom grinders?
No idea.

maxbmello

#12: Post by maxbmello »

Could you take the top plate off and post a pic of the burrs? Is he interested to know what the geometry looks line as well.

Kran (original poster)

#13: Post by Kran (original poster) »

Pulled the top to clean the grinder today and took a couple images of the burrs. You can see how the pattern compares to the 75mm TiN mythos burrs in the second picture:

Note that to remove the upper burr carrier, which is actually the entire top of the grinder, you have to unscrew the adjustment knob all the way and remove it first. So taking the top off to clean isn't like on Eureka Atom or Olympus grinders where the grind setting is retained.

zefkir

#14: Post by zefkir replying to Kran »

That's a huge grinding surface, I'm guessing that the central hole is much smaller than the ones in the Mazzer Major from the picture. And while it's smaller than the 98 mm EK burrs, it looks that the surface areas might be a bit closer than the diameter indicate.

Kran (original poster)

#15: Post by Kran (original poster) »

Quick update. I ran in to a few beans that required me grinding right at zero for 1:2 espresso, which is not my preference. I went ahead and swapped in the 75mm mythos burrs I had, aligned, and then tested it out. The mythos burrs work quite well and allow me to grind those same beans at about 10 markings away from zero for 1:1.5. ratio. The dry aroma after grinding a shot was immediately discernible with the mythos burrs vs stock.

For now I think i'll stick with the mythos burrs and see how they work for a few bags of coffee. I'm holding out hope that I can find some reasonably priced Mythos II burrs (I believe these are 85mm) to try out.

jkhow

#16: Post by jkhow »

I went ahead and swapped in the 75mm mythos burrs I had, aligned, and then tested it out.
Hi Kran,

(1) Just to clarify your latest post. You were using a 75 mm Mythos burr on a 85 mm machine and it work fine right?

(2) Also if you could please try grinding beans in the pour over and Chemex range, and see how much fine it produces, I would really appreciate it?

Kran (original poster)

#17: Post by Kran (original poster) »

(1) Yes, they fit. Screw holes line up fine and ID of the burrs is almost exactly the same, if not identical. There will be some additional dead space due to the mythos burrs having a smaller OD than the burr mounts for the 85mm stock burrs. Consequence is with single dosing I loose somewhere around 0.5g or so with each 18 or 19g dose. Subjectively, I like my espresso better with the mythos burrs than the stock 85mm.

(2) I haven't used the mythos burrs for drip. However, I did do a quick and dirty test using the stock 85mm burrs for v60: Ghost Burr vs Lido 2 vs Bulk

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by contraflow88 »

I have the same grinder, in my opinion the original burrs are to inconsistent for drip. I found particle distribution from purely a visual standpoint rather inconsistent for a bulk grinder. My hope is to get a set of the Mythos 2 burrs which are 85mm but for now I have a spare set 75mm non-titanium coated from a swap that I am going to throw in. The Mythos 2 burrs through Nuova Simonelli directly are $485 which is really expensive.

BronzeBeanOmar

#19: Post by BronzeBeanOmar »

I just bought this grinder used, but while cleaning it, I lost the grind setting. To put the knob back on, do you twist it all the way clockwise, then tighten the set screws on the pointer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin_sun

#20: Post by Kevin_sun »

Hello Kran,
Thank you for the sharing of Eureka ATOM burrs upgrade(in another post). It's an amazing modification!
I'm also an owner of ATOM 60 and want to upgrade the burrs to 65. Could you please send me the information where you bought the upper burr carrier?
I did a lot of Google search, but haven't found it yet.

Thank you!