Eureka Atom Specialty 75 ?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

Postby redbone » Nov 15, 2017, 4:08 pm

Just noticed on Eureka website the ATOM SPECIALTY 65 & 75 with 65mm and 75mm respectively and 510w motor vs the regular Atom with 60mm burrs and 450w motor. The Specialty come with either titanium or red speed burrs.
Not sure if these will be offered here in North America.

http://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/prodotti/macinacaff%c3%a8+istantaneo/1/5.aspx

The Eureka Atom was the quietest electric grinder I've barely heard.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Carneiro

Postby Carneiro » Nov 15, 2017, 4:54 pm

It seems very nice!

My problem with big guys are retention... :oops:

christosjr1

Postby christosjr1 » Nov 20, 2017, 5:56 pm

Around January 2018 they told me European distribution will commence.

Fluffeepuff

Postby Fluffeepuff » Jan 14, 2018, 5:17 pm

Also got word from Adam @ Clive that they expect to carry the grinder with the various burr options starting sometime in Jan - pricing unknown. I'm guessing it will be more expensive than the Olympus 75E... but I'm hoping the TiN burrs for the Specialty 75 are the same (which I believe are mythos TiN burrs, correct?).
<*>---<

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Jan 14, 2018, 10:23 pm

Ben Piff from Clive emailed me and said that production starts in January and they are supposed to have their first shipment in March.

I'm interested in this grinder as it is the only grinder I have seen that may challenge the Monolith's for the home barista. Pricing needs to stay below $1,500 with the Mythos Burrs to make it a contender. I'm assuming that both models (Atom Specialty 65E and 75E) will eventually replace the Zeneth 65e and Olympus 75e which would make the Atom a 3-tiered grinder for the home barista (60 / 65 / 75 mm burr options).

My gut tells me that it won't be any better than other grinders in its class when speced with the mythos burrs (K30, E37S, K10, etc). Given the regular Atom is $870, then maybe they can come in around $1200 with the top specced model?

russel

Postby russel » Jan 14, 2018, 10:29 pm

JayBeck wrote:My gut tells me that it won't be any better than other grinders in its class when speced with the mythos burrs (K30, E37S, K10, etc).

Is this a serious issue? In my experience the grind quality of a K30 or K10 is rarely exceeded by the skill of a home barista.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » replying to russel » Jan 14, 2018, 10:32 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question. My comment was about choices for the consumer and how the Atom Specialty 75 will fit into that sphere.

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jan 14, 2018, 11:07 pm

JayBeck wrote:it is the only grinder I have seen that may challenge the Monolith's for the home barista.

I am having trouble understanding what you mean by this. The monoliths are designed to be dingle dosed, they have a short grind path, and the grind path can be easily cleaned / purged. These latest eurekas are hopper fed with a very long grind chute that has an anti static device at the top of it that probably cannot be reached easily with a brush and that certainly retains grinds in the grinding chamber.

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » replying to lancealot » Jan 14, 2018, 11:17 pm

I see now; you quoted the wrong part.

My point is that the Atom line is smaller and more counter top friendly than other grinders (K30 is fat; K10 is 25 inches tall; etc). Part of the point of the Monoliths is that they are much smaller than their commercial competitors (while offering first in class grind quality) as itheyt was designed with the home barista in mind.

Likewise, the Atom line was designed with the home barista in mind. Thus, if someone is considering a Monolith vs a mass produced grinder, their choices before were commercial grinders that are often times too big for a kitchen. With the new Atom grinders using the large burrs and higher wattage motor, the decision tree changed a little bit.

In other words, single dosing isn't the only advantage of a Monolith. Size/Sound are major reasons as well. You have to analyze the complete package as the 'taste in the cup' isn't very different in this price range.

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jan 14, 2018, 11:50 pm

lancealot wrote:monoliths are designed to be dingle dosed,

Still, what about dingle dosing??? :oops:

I can't believe you didn't call me out for that one! :D