Eureka Atom Pro - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeeOnTheBrain

#51: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Not saying that there is good alignment from the factory, but that could justify the price difference between the pro and the 75, because frankly a development of a new set of burrs should not be paid by the customer like this.
More realistically the price is justified by the market, as there is no competition below this price point and the alignment is probably a gamble.

truemagellen

#52: Post by truemagellen »

Given that the Ek43 isn't aligned properly from factory at almost 3x the cost if one can align this and it holds alignment with that burr set, it should rival a monolith flat/Ek43. It will perhaps be a bit heavier on retention unless you seal up the blowup system as you can find in several videos.

The Eureka engineer described it as design for signal dose and low retention. Funny how they didn't describe in detail the unique burr set.

neohk

#53: Post by neohk »

jpetrow wrote:Good to hear.

Sounds pretty much as expected when you have unimodal grinders like Atom Pro and EK43. The unimodal grind distribution just lack the fine particles that create the usual resistance in the puck.

IIRC Perger came up with "nutation" to battle that with the EK in espresso use. Though nowadays we have flow profiling and orher more sophisticated remedies.

Thanks for the detailed info.
Probably missed a few posts but where does it say the grinder produce unimodal?
Their website isn't great and info is a bit scarce on a newish grinder,thanks!

truemagellen

#54: Post by truemagellen replying to neohk »

Correct it wasn't on their website.
It was based on the post earlier in this thread where a user showed the burr set here:

Eureka Atom Pro

neohk

#55: Post by neohk replying to truemagellen »

Ah I see
It's just me not knowledgeable enough to tell a distribution from looking at burr geometry :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hopefully someone somewhere will do a atom pro, ek43s and eg-1 comparison post! (I know they are vastly different but still)

jakobankerhansen

#56: Post by jakobankerhansen »

Does anyone know more about the type of motor, that is in the Atom Pro ?

Eureka states that is a 920w motor, but provides no more detail...

Comparatively the Lagom P64 states that it uses a 300w brushless DC motor, which is supposed to produce more output torque compared to an equivalently-rated AC motor. I guess that this (torque) is also specially important, if the grinding speed (rpm) is low, which is also adjustable on the Lagom P64.

So, is the motor in the Eureka Atom Pro three times as powerful as the motor in the Lagom P64, or are we looking into less useful energy consumption...?

malling

#57: Post by malling »

Bluenoser wrote:I don't understand this.. an espresso grinder that can't produce a grind fine enough to deliver shots with a traditional pump machine? I can't think this would be a winner.. am I missing something.. 'cause if I buy a Niche or Monolith (con or flat), I would not have this issue. I confess I am not familiar with different grind 'modes' of top end grinders.
The grinder is labelled an all-purposes grinder for a reason, but one shouldn't be confused by the all-purpose tag. In reality most all-purpose grinder is in fact a brew grinder, a grinder that can in some rare cases grind "fine" enough for espresso. Due to the specific design of the burr type it sometimes make an all-purpose grinder useless for espresso prep as the burrs grind to uniform and with to small of a fraction of fines.

The fact that people have bought this with the expectation of it being an espresso grinder or one that should be able to, somehow tells me that the seller either had a lack of knowledge or where not good at pointing out the problems with the burr design in regards to espresso brewing.

I kinda think it's nice of Eureka to take them back, they could just as well have told people to do their homework.

Bulk burrs are vastly more expensive, so obviously this will add costs for any manufacturer, Euraka will let their customers pay for the added expenses just like anyone else.

75mm burrs aren't going to rival a behemoth 98mm burrset, it's not going to happen, I tried coffee from allot of brew burrs but no a single one that's smaller than 98mm have simply been able to deliver the clarity, flavour separation, sweetnesses etc. of the EK. And believe me I would diss my EK as I hate it's size and footprint.

No major manufacturer align their grinders as precise as a craftsman manufacturer, simply because it would be practically impossible at such scale and secondly it would result in to high expenditures and those unrealistic high listed prices. So Mahlkonig isn't any worse than it's competitors, they are all pretty bad,Eureka is no exception.

But unless you wanna pay twice the price a truely better alignment is not going to happen.

Bluenoser

#58: Post by Bluenoser »

I think if I were a manufacturer, I'd want my customers to have as good an experience as possible. I've been only in the espresso hobby for under 2 years, but I've done a ton of reading and never came across the fact that this type of grinder burr creates a more a Unimodal profile and does not work well with pump style espresso machines. (SB, HX, DB.) To those who know grinders well, this is a well-known characteristic. On their web site, it simply says "espresso & brew". It doesn't qualify that to say it is for espresso machines which have flow restriction capabilities.

Many manufacturers of other home/recreational products have whole knowledge bases and use-cases that help to educate those who are newer to the market in the specific applications of their products. So when I see the Atom Pro and it is marked as an espresso grinder, I can easily see assuming it will work exceptionally for my machine (an HX); especially at its price point.

I think it is like my HX manufacturer who does not provide a bottomless portafilter, nor a group thermometer, nor information on how my machine should perform (rebound, brew temp consistency, etc). While one can take the "buyer beware" approach, I don't think it builds good customer relationships. Took me a long time to successfully pull good shots on my HX (and only after I purchased another $300 of equipment). I can easily see me buying such an Eureka grinder and then learning about its unsuitability for my machine.

Lots of "gotchas" in this field.

malling

#59: Post by malling »

People need to understand that all the mentioned products are target the commercial market. When you're a professional your expected to have the necessary knowledge to choose the right product and the skills to use, maintain and repair it. Eureka is first and foremost a commercial manufacturer and those one should expect them to behave like one.

So any kind of blame should only be given to those reseller who chooses to market and sell commercial products to the consumer segment. They are the ones who should give additional information as they are the ones who chose to make the product available for a broad segment. Secondly consumers who purchase commercial products should also look at themselves and stop blaming others, after all its you who have chosen to get a product designed for a commercial setting and use it not as designed.

neohk

#60: Post by neohk »

How much do you guys purge when you are dosing for a filtered coffee?