Eureka Atom Pro - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tarzan_monkeyman

#41: Post by tarzan_monkeyman »

jpetrow wrote:The grind setting knob really looks different from other models.

Does it rotate freely like in other Atoms? i.e. are you able to adjust so fine that the burrs touch each other? Or is there a limiter/stopper as I came to understand from another post elsewhere.
The burrs do begin to touch a little past the zero mark on the dial. Whether that grinds fine enough for conventional espresso machines, I don't know (I use a flair). It seemed to not be fine enough for the other member who also purchased and returned it.

Here's a closer look at it.

javipi

#42: Post by javipi »

I had one of the few first units sold, and of course I had to return it. Just couldn't grind fine enough and was not in the mood for dismantling a new not-exactly-cheap grinder out of the box.

javipi

#43: Post by javipi »

tarzan_monkeyman wrote:It doesn't really come with one, just the v60 holder and another designed to hold a grounds bin. I've been using the v60 holder with a knockoff lw shaker from Amazon that happens to match real well. If I try grind directly in the flair portafilter it kind of vibrates out of place.

Could you please post the link to this beautiful black shaker? :D

tarzan_monkeyman

#44: Post by tarzan_monkeyman replying to javipi »

jpetrow

#45: Post by jpetrow »

tarzan_monkeyman wrote:The burrs do begin to touch a little past the zero mark on the dial. Whether that grinds fine enough for conventional espresso machines, I don't know (I use a flair).
Good to hear.

Sounds pretty much as expected when you have unimodal grinders like Atom Pro and EK43. The unimodal grind distribution just lack the fine particles that create the usual resistance in the puck.

IIRC Perger came up with "nutation" to battle that with the EK in espresso use. Though nowadays we have flow profiling and orher more sophisticated remedies.

Thanks for the detailed info.

Bluenoser

#46: Post by Bluenoser »

jpetrow wrote: Sounds pretty much as expected when you have unimodal grinders like Atom Pro and EK43. The unimodal grind distribution just lack the fine particles that create the usual resistance in the puck..
I don't understand this.. an espresso grinder that can't produce a grind fine enough to deliver shots with a traditional pump machine? I can't think this would be a winner.. am I missing something.. 'cause if I buy a Niche or Monolith (con or flat), I would not have this issue. I confess I am not familiar with different grind 'modes' of top end grinders.

jpetrow

#47: Post by jpetrow »

Bluenoser wrote:I don't understand this.. an espresso grinder that can't produce a grind fine enough to deliver shots with a traditional pump machine?.
It's not a question of going fine enough. It's a about the type of the grinds.

Typical espresso grinders produce two types of grinds: the grind size you set it to, but always some finer grinds as well.This is by design and the function of those additional finer grinds is to add resistance to the water passing through the puck so that you can get to 9 bars of pressure. Most espresso grinders fall in to this category: Monolith, Niche, Eureka Atom 75, Mythos etc.

Atom Pro and EK43 are on purpose desinged not to produce those additional finer grinds. They are a very specific design. The main benefits of a grinder producing just one grind size are getting a better tasting cup because you won't have the fines which always by definition over extract and taste bitter. Also when used for brew methods the fines won't clog up your filter paper.

That's why for brew methods the best grinders are unimodal since you really have only upsides and no downsides. For espresso not having the additional fines is a clear downside because it's more difficult to get the needed pressure. So you sort have to really know what you are doing. But when you do and the beans are right, you are rewarded with some phenomenal god shots that are impossible to produce with traditional bimodal espresso grinders.

Basically to put it simply if you do not specifically know that you want a unimodal espresso grinder, then don't buy Atom Pro or EK43. But if you do, Atom Pro seems to be the most cost effective way at the moment.

Bluenoser

#48: Post by Bluenoser »

Wow.. so much to know.. thanks for info..

Seems like there is a huge percentage of pump espresso machines that don't support flow control and I'd think that Eureka might have a lot of potentially unhappy campers who plunk down money for a single brew/espresso grinder. But maybe they are looking at lever espresso machines, where I'm guessing this grind will work fine. I guess buyer beware, but you'd think Eureka might have some more detailed info on this with their grinder and on their site to better match it with potential buyers.

jpetrow

#49: Post by jpetrow »

I'm with you on that one. Eureka has probably the worst marketing in the industry. I mean its really really bad. We shouldn't be asking about the type of burrs in a grinder from a forum, intended use or grind profiles, but that's Eureka. Their website and general info is just useless. I think they probably rely on resellers to educate their customers.

Having said that, Eureka/Nuova Simonelli/Victoria Arduino happen to make some of the very best grinders in the market like the Mythos. The grinders are built like tanks, last forever and produce grinds second to none in their category.

neohk

#50: Post by neohk »

jpetrow wrote:It's not a question of going fine enough. It's a about the type of the grinds.

Typical espresso grinders produce two types of grinds: the grind size you set it to, but always some finer grinds as well.This is by design and the function of those additional finer grinds is to add resistance to the water passing through the puck so that you can get to 9 bars of pressure. Most espresso grinders fall in to this category: Monolith, Niche, Eureka Atom 75, Mythos etc.

Atom Pro and EK43 are on purpose desinged not to produce those additional finer grinds. They are a very specific design. The main benefits of a grinder producing just one grind size are getting a better tasting cup because you won't have the fines which always by definition over extract and taste bitter. Also when used for brew methods the fines won't clog up your filter paper.

That's why for brew methods the best grinders are unimodal since you really have only upsides and no downsides. For espresso not having the additional fines is a clear downside because it's more difficult to get the needed pressure. So you sort have to really know what you are doing. But when you do and the beans are right, you are rewarded with some phenomenal god shots that are impossible to produce with traditional bimodal espresso grinders.

Basically to put it simply if you do not specifically know that you want a unimodal espresso grinder, then don't buy Atom Pro or EK43. But if you do, Atom Pro seems to be the most cost effective way at the moment.
I guess I will just have to wait a bit and see if there is
1. good factory alignment/ at least dead-easy fixes
2. PSD curve

One could dream....