Eureka Atom Pro - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
javipi

#21: Post by javipi »

Got mine today. I had not checked the measures when I got it, but is fairly large and robust, more than my previous Fausto and of course more than my Niche Zero.

Tomorrow I'll brew some coffee, let's see how it does it terms of grind retention.

Quester

#22: Post by Quester »

javipi wrote:Got mine today. I had not checked the measures when I got it, but is fairly large and robust, more than my previous Fausto and of course more than my Niche Zero.

Tomorrow I'll brew some coffee, let's see how it does it terms of grind retention.
I have a new Eureka Olympus 75E High Speed. It was aligned poorly from the factory and produced so-so shots until I aligned it-which took ten rounds. Once it was aligned-awesome. I can't tell it apart from my EG-1.

One thing I didn't anticipate is the effect of the high RPM with fine grinding. It's works well if I'm grinding for my GS3 AV, but the grinds required to pull long profiles on my DE1Pro make the EO75 go crazy with dosing and wild clumping. I have 14 lbs through and it's no better-although that's not a lot of seasoning for the titanium burrs. It will be interesting to see what it's like with your GS3 MP since you may need a finer grind than my GS3.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
javipi

#23: Post by javipi »

Well,
I got to try it today and after one hour trying to dial in the grinder I decided to quit and contact my dealer. They actually are very close with the people from Eureka (both from Italy) and Eureka is going to take the grinder back.

I basically ended up going all the way "finer" between 0 and 1 setting, but still just got no resistance from the puck, wild channeling and other signs of too coarse coffee. That was all the way down. I sent the dealer a video pulling a shot using my Niche Zero and with the Atom Pro using the same dosing and coffee of course. From the Zero for a decent 26 second 1:2 shot, while from the finer setting on the Atom got a wild 8 second shot to reach the 40 grams. So something is very wrong.

I'm giving the Eureka guys a lifeline here, as they will try to fix it and explain what was wrong. On the other hand. I told my dealer I would just fork the extra money for a EK43S, in case there is a minor glitch with the Atom when it comes back from Eureka.

Let's see how it goes.

tarzan_monkeyman

#24: Post by tarzan_monkeyman »

Is there no way to calibrate the grinder to go finer? I know some machines like the Forte BG come with a calibration tool to allow you to go finer into espresso range, this could possibly be the case here. Was also reading up on other eureka grinders, the numbers on the dial aren't the only settings, the dial is meant to be rotated multiple times and the numbers are just reference points. Can you rotate the dial further past 0?

I actually bought this machine too from espressocoffeeshop, but was told they wouldn't have any till November. Hope this gets sorted out, was looking forward to getting this grinder. How was retention?

Quester

#25: Post by Quester »

javipi wrote:I basically ended up going all the way "finer" between 0 and 1 setting, but still just got no resistance from the puck, wild channeling and other signs of too coarse coffee.
Javipi, rotate the dial finer with the grinder running until the burrs just barely chirp-then back off a couple "numbers" and pull a shot. The numbers are just relative-you might have to go all the way around again on the dial-just keep turning. But do it gradually so you don't damage the burrs when it chirps-just a little, quick chirp! FYI, that's how you do the ink test for alignment. When it chirps, the ink should be off the edge of the burr all the way around.

javipi

#26: Post by javipi » replying to Quester »

Thanks for this information! I will try this tomorrow and report back.

tarzan_monkeyman

#27: Post by tarzan_monkeyman »

Any updates? Been doing a little research and found a video of the grinder in use on espressocoffeeshop's Instagram stories. (Atom pro starts at the 4th story in).

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h ... ef545652or

They cut the video kind of weird, they either weigh the beans out at 18.6 or 19g, end with 18.2, no RDT, seems to grind fast from what I can tell, you also see lots of coffee come out as he uses the bellows. I'm not very experienced in SD grinders, would you consider this good or bad?

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
truemagellen

#28: Post by truemagellen » replying to tarzan_monkeyman »

Thanks for posting that. It is a faster grinder, grinds come out great. The blowup system does look like a mess but there are probably people pressing on the bellows at a show like this all day and so grinds are getting everywhere. The magnetic holder thing is meh.

RDT may improve the situation. It is a good looking grinder I think the hopper in the darker color is the way to go if it is going to make a mess like this when using the bellows.

We are on the edge of some big Single Dosing tech over the next year and going forward. Should be interesting.

tarzan_monkeyman

#29: Post by tarzan_monkeyman »

I just got the grinder in today. My first impressions: a lot bigger and heavier than I expected, also more nice looking in person. First thing I did was take a look at the grind size range. The dial is numbered 0-20 and it will not let you go beyond that range.

The grinder is advertised as a multipurpose grinder, it does appear capable of doing various brew methods and I was able to grind fine enough for espresso on my flair pro. My understanding is the flair takes a coarser grind than traditional espresso machines, and I was in the .5-1 range with a bean advertised as light/medium.

Retention varies anywhere from .7g to .1 or less, using the blowup hopper is necessary to get those last bits out. I've barely got to play with it today, I will take some more notes tomorrow. So far not too unhappy with it, I like the looks, the taste seems upgraded from my kinu m47 phoenix, it grinds pretty fast, doesn't seem particularly loud, and seems easy to switch between brew methods. My one worry is that it might not grind fine enough for certain coffees or certain machines.

jpetrow

#30: Post by jpetrow »

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the burr?

It would be really intresting to compare the burr design to regular Atom 75s espresso burrs.